Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

SchrodingersCat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, for the first time in.... I have absolutely no idea how long, I just put on workout gear at lunch and went to a walk/run. Day 1 Week 1 of Couch25k (5 min warm up brisk walk then 8x alternating 60 seconds run and 90 seconds walking) plus another 20 minutes brisk walking to cool down. I managed it! I'm pretty chuffed, I got puffed but didn't get wiped out, finished it pretty easily, and covered 5km! 

I also just realised I haven't eaten today. Oops. My boss got back from 2 months off and the morning was hectic and I was so focused on getting out for this run because I made a commitment I'd do it. 

Doing it again on Wednesday!

2 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

OK, for the first time in.... I have absolutely no idea how long, I just put on workout gear at lunch and went to a walk/run. Day 1 Week 1 of Couch25k (5 min warm up brisk walk then 8x alternating 60 seconds run and 90 seconds walking) plus another 20 minutes brisk walking to cool down. I managed it! I'm pretty chuffed, I got puffed but didn't get wiped out, finished it pretty easily, and covered 5km! 

Wow - super cool! Congratulations to you!!!

5 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So dinner changed up, it was lamb chops with tzatziki, and a medley of roasted veggies in dukkah - pumpkin, radishes, cauli, broccolini, and green beans

I have never heard of dukkah.  I just googled it to see the ingredients and that actually sounds really good to dip veggies in.  Thanks for the idea!  And good luck on your c25k.  I did one of those back in 2014 and back then I was able to find the app pretty easily and it was awesome how it told me when to slow down and walk... Now whenever I try to look for the app there is 50 million of the same type and I can't find the one that worked well for me, and I hate change.  I guess I should go to the official website to find a link to the official app at some point.  I think I would like to start mine after my whole30.  

7 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

I have never heard of dukkah.  I just googled it to see the ingredients and that actually sounds really good to dip veggies in.  Thanks for the idea!  And good luck on your c25k.  I did one of those back in 2014 and back then I was able to find the app pretty easily and it was awesome how it told me when to slow down and walk... Now whenever I try to look for the app there is 50 million of the same type and I can't find the one that worked well for me, and I hate change.  I guess I should go to the official website to find a link to the official app at some point.  I think I would like to start mine after my whole30.  

I love dukkah!! There are so many types, I've been using a pistachio one lately, but I also have an Egyptian one, and a chipotle one. So good on veg and also on pork chops!

So last night I had that W30 sleep - out like a light. I was also able to haul ass out of bed as soon as the alarm went off - 1 week down and I'm feeling good!

Legs are a bit weary today from the run, but I'm not sore, so that's a huge bonus!

Meal 1: Eggs and kraut

Meal 2: yogurt curry chicken with cauli/brocc rice

Meal 3: Fish Tuesday! To be decided when I hit the market, I'm hoping for some fresh swordfish, which we will have with cucumber salad, but we shall see what they have.

Tonight's challenge is NOT to eat a handful of pine nuts before bed. It's a bad habit I have gotten into, and it needs to stop. I'm not anti-snack due to the rules, this round is more about me getting migraines under control and transitioning into a paleo-type way of eating long term, but I don't need them, I'm just eating them for the sake of it. So none tonight! 

No evening snack was a success, go me. 

I slept really heavily again last night but woke up feeling weird, very light-headed and a bit weak, and the most simple things puffed me out (like trying of bras!!). Plus, I was super spacey, as my husband just gently pointed out. I went upstairs and said goodbye, he reminded me to take some paperwork with me, I said I would, walked downstairs and straight out the door, WITHOUT the paperwork.

I'm feeling better after a couple of coffees. Maybe I just needed to wake up. I plan on doing Day 2 of Week 1 of C25k today, so I hope this sluggishness doesn't do me in there.

Day... 10? Dunno, not really counting! 

Meal 1: Eggs n Kraut

Meal 2:   Yogurt curry chicken with cauli/brocc rice

Meal 3: Steak, baked sweet potato with ghee, sauteed baby asparagus, cucumber and radish salad.

Managed Week 1, Day of C25k!! Dragged ass but I managed it! I feel good for doing it :) Day 3 is Friday and it's going to be a warm one. but I'm determined. 

Dinner was sirloin steak, sweet potato rounds steamed then crisped in ghee, garlic ghee field mushroom and a cucumber, carrot and radish ribbon salad with red wine vinigrette. YUM.  

I have lunch out tomorrow for a meeting, but at least it's with work people and I've made clear that I will have a simple salad with oil and lemon, at most, and if I can't have that I'll eat back at the office. 

Tonight is no-snacking challenge day 2. 

Wow, your dinner last night sounds amazing.  I have also tried to reduce snacking during my W30.  I'm finding La Croix carbonated water to help keep me full, but I don't really enjoy the gas that comes with carbonation.  I've never been a pop drinker so the effects arn't subtle.  My daughter is usually the one that burps all the time, and when I burped at dinner the other night, my husband instantly looked at my daughter, but this time it was me - because of La Croix water.  I will probably phase out the carbonated drinks after I get used to avoiding snacks.  Good luck at your lunch meeting, you can do it!

7 hours ago, Amy_Michigan said:

Wow, your dinner last night sounds amazing.  I have also tried to reduce snacking during my W30.  I'm finding La Croix carbonated water to help keep me full, but I don't really enjoy the gas that comes with carbonation.  I've never been a pop drinker so the effects arn't subtle.  My daughter is usually the one that burps all the time, and when I burped at dinner the other night, my husband instantly looked at my daughter, but this time it was me - because of La Croix water.  I will probably phase out the carbonated drinks after I get used to avoiding snacks.  Good luck at your lunch meeting, you can do it!

Thanks!! At work I drink coffee, herbal tea and water, but my drink of choice at home is carbonated water (Soda Stream) with fresh lime of lemon juice. I just find it so refreshing! I've found various La Croix-like drinks around here but there's one one wild berry one I like, the rest just taste a bit weird.

I put my foot down with lunch - I'll most likely eat a side salad, or not eat at all and eat in the office. 

I'm loving the W30 sleep - I'm out like a light and don't move until the alarm goes off. It's funny, (and TMI) but I'm one of those people what if I stir in the middle of the night and I need the loo, even a little bit, I can't go back to sleep until I go. This usually means I'm up one or 2 times a night. On W30 though, I sleep all the way through and wake up DYING for the loo, which means I can't just lie there and snooze the alarm haaha. Win, I guess?

I'm wearing the same pants I wore to work on Day 1, today and they fir so much better. The first place I bloat when I eat anything that doesn't agree with me is upper stomach, and these are high waisted and when I wore them last week they were almost painful. Now they're perfectly comfy.

Meal 2:   Yogurt curry chicken with cauli/brocc rice (maybe a salad, as noted above)

Meal 3: NFI! We have a friend over tonight and I usually feed him, it's good though because he is on keto and appreciates my lettuce leaf fajitas, or cauli rice curries! I'll pick something up on the way home. 

OH, meant to add - had the food dream last night!! Dreamed that we waited in a line of at least a hundred people to buy this incredible chocolate cake topped with cream, then argues with the serving lady about the cream, and then was horrified at the price but finally got my cake.... and then the alarm went off. LOL. I'm not even a big cake fan!

OK, so best intentions are worth as much as they're written on. Lunch was at my favourite restaurant, so I just did the best I could, noting that I am in this for long term changes rather than a perfect 3rd round.

Skipped meal 1.

Lunch was a tapas of kingfish with almond, roasted capsicum and pickled cucumber on a sesame seaweed base  (pretty sure this was not compliant), mixed leaf salad with pickled garlic, radish and capers in a chardonnay vinegar dressing (pretty sure this was compliant), and chicken breast in a mojo picante sauce (every recipe I look up for this sauce appears to be compliant, but the chicken was probably brined and so not sure of compliance).

It was absolutely delicious, and if there was non-compliance it would be minimal. If I was doing a 'proper' round, I would restart tomorrow, but as this is just me muddling along and trying to take this on as a lifestyle (and because there's no point in restaring because weekend away in 2 weeks will bugger it up anyway), I'll just keep trucking. 

Noted: I'm not bloated or uncomfortable, so that's good. AND, here's the big thing, I am NOT going to let this convince me I have "fallen off the wagon" and lead to more non-compliance. 

That lunch sounds delicious and it sounds balanced and healthy as well. The thing I realized over the last chunk of months was that a Whole30 esque, paleo, keto - healthy eating thing just plain old worked for me. I can eat some dairy and some grains, but not lots and so I tended to avoid them, but it was so nice to go out and enjoy the good things - like a Greek salad with feta!! I've learned a lot via Whole 30 about cooking - something you seem to really excel at! That fish of yours sounded like exactly the kind of meal we are supposed to be enjoying and appreciating and allowing to nourish our bodies and souls. 

Thanks Emma! I feel pretty good about my choices today! I love to cook. If I could make decent money from it (without having to work for someone else) I'd give up law in a heart beat!

Dinner was amazing, paleo running momma's Lebanese Lemon Chicken is delicious and so easy! I served it with cauli rice sauteed with fresh basil and parsley, lemon zest and sumac, and with carrots with ghee and sesame seeds, and baby asparagus. Very much a guest pleaser!

10 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Noted: I'm not bloated or uncomfortable, so that's good. AND, here's the big thing, I am NOT going to let this convince me I have "fallen off the wagon" and lead to more non-compliance. 

This is great!  A minimal non-compliance that you don't even know occurred for sure is going to happen to almost anyone going to a restaurant during their whole30, and going to restaurants occasionally is normal.  We are all trying to develop new lifestyle habits, which include trying our best to pick healthy options at restaurants and you achieved that!  Awesome!  Glad that you are going to keep moving along, keeping negative thoughts out, and letting positive thinking guide you.

@Amy_Michigan that's what I figure! I made the best choices I could at the time, and eating out will never be without doubts.

I have leftover Lebanese Lemon Chicken for lunch and I'm already looking forward to it. So good!! 

I'm planning on Day 3 of C25k today, we shall see how that goes - it is humid and warm today, and I had a terrible night's sleep (:angry: husband) so I'm cranky as hell. But I said I'd do it, and I'm going to. I need new running shoes, might have to go to DFO this weekend for a bit of a shop. My old ones are wearing out at the heels and starting to rub.

Meal 2: Lebanese Lemon Chicken, seasoned cauli rice, asparagus

Meal 3: Ehhhhh... I'm torn between "It's Friday and I want to make something fancy" and "It's Friday and I CBF so what's fast and easy". 

ARRIGHT. I did Day 3, Week 1 of C25k. Crankiness, angry uterus, and humidity be damned. Its funny, I dragged ass the first for runs but when by the end it was a lot easier, like I'd finally warmed up. But then it was over LOL. Ah well. 

My aim is to run a 5k charity fun run that's happening at the end of May. I think that's a pretty good and do-able goal.

Still no decision on dinner. Less cranky, though. Might trawl some recipe pages.

Dinner was seared kangaroo steak with chimmichurri, mashed sweet potato with African vanilla salt, grilled garlic mushrooms and sauteed asparagus with toasted macadamias. It was delicious! 

It's another Friday night, and I'm again resisting wine. It's actually quite easy,  it's a habit, not a craving. I'm just used to pouring a glass on a Friday night. 

Off to buy new runners tomorrow, going to keep up with the C25k and go back to muay thai classes week after next.

34 minutes ago, BabyBear said:

Your dinner sounds scrumptious! kangaroo is one meat I have yet to have the pleasure of trying, but it is definitely on my bucket list.

We love it! Super lean. It's very similar to venison. 

Saturday! We have a BBQ to go to today, but it's pretty much BYO so I'll just take some chicken skewers and a salad to share. 

Meal 1 was fried eggs, jamon and grilled field mushrooms. 

BBQ was good, I took some lamb steaks marinated in rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and pepper, and a really nice salad of roasted fennel, green beans, romaine, and a caper, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice and S&P dressing. The host made a potato salad which was just olive oil, mustard and fresh herbs, so I had some of that and took a bottle of mineral water. Was lovely to catch up with friends!

Dinner, when I can be bothered, will be crispy skinned chicken with the leftover salad,and other a-yet unidentified veg.

Rocking headache today, and viciously cranky. I think I have cranking PMS.  

Archived