Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

SchrodingersCat

Thank you!! I love to cook, so much.

Today was a bit out of control, so meal 1 was leftover lemon chicken and cauli rice with carrots, and dinner will be Salisbury steak with mushroom sauce, mashed turnip, broccoli and carrots.

Just meal prepped BBQ pork roast and a huge lot of roasted veg medley (parsnip, celeriac, mushrooms, radish, broccoli, okra, beans, fennel) for lunches.

Also, I had all the fennel tops and didn't want to waste them, so I made fennel and pepita pesto - it's lovely and very different.

Whinge here, lady-wise so if you're delicate about that sort of thing, look away now.

So I have a Mirena, and haven't had a period for 5 years. Glorious. After 2 days of homicidal rage, I got it today. UGH!! I hate this lol. Explains the rage. BUT, last 2 times I did W30 I got spotting then, too. WTF is with this way of eating that makes my body override my birth control LOL?? Might also explain why I feel like a bloated whale. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's crazy that W30 overrided your birth control. Crazy, but not crazy. I swear that every time I do W30 or STOP coffee, my periods return. I'm gonna be in perimenopause FOREVER at this rate. It is stunning to me how much our foods impact us at a chemical level.

And really, you just had some extra fennel so you made a fennel and pepita pesto. Laughing. I love how that sounds and that you are so dang skilled and adept in this cooking world. If I had extra fennel, I don't know what I'd do - just eat it plain ;) I wish we were neighbors so I could visit, sit, chat, watch and absorb, as you prep for dinner. Alas. (I LOVE reading about your meals - I file them away in my head as potential ideas)

Hope the bloated whale experience ends soon!!

5 hours ago, Emma said:

That's crazy that W30 overrided your birth control. Crazy, but not crazy. I swear that every time I do W30 or STOP coffee, my periods return. I'm gonna be in perimenopause FOREVER at this rate. It is stunning to me how much our foods impact us at a chemical level.

And really, you just had some extra fennel so you made a fennel and pepita pesto. Laughing. I love how that sounds and that you are so dang skilled and adept in this cooking world. If I had extra fennel, I don't know what I'd do - just eat it plain ;) I wish we were neighbors so I could visit, sit, chat, watch and absorb, as you prep for dinner. Alas. (I LOVE reading about your meals - I file them away in my head as potential ideas)

Hope the bloated whale experience ends soon!!

I'd love to have the company and a chat while I food prep! :)

I don't usually have fennel lol, I bought it for the salad and totally over estimated how much I needed and it seemed a waste to throw away those lovely fronds! 

Monday again. I swear Mondays take up far more than 1/7 of my week. Weekend was average, I was super cranky, partly because of hormones, apparently and partly because... ugh, just stuff. 

Meal 1: Eggs 'n' kraut

Meal 2: pork roast with BBQ sauce and roasted veggies

Meal 3: Hell if I know. Possibly pork steaks and veg of some description.

Supposed to run today. Forgot my damn workout gear. So I'll go for a brisk walk instead. 

That is interesting about the periods returning, but makes sense.  birth control works by disrupting the hormone production ... eating food healthy foods can often reset at first that hormone balance... I’m sure it will level itself out.  But yes food is very intricately related to the chemical and hormonal balance in our bodies.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:48 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

So I have a Mirena, and haven't had a period for 5 years. Glorious. After 2 days of homicidal rage, I got it today. UGH!! I hate this lol. Explains the rage. BUT, last 2 times I did W30 I got spotting then, too. WTF is with this way of eating that makes my body override my birth control LOL?? Might also explain why I feel like a bloated whale. 

I'm so sorry this happened to you!  Hormones are so evil!  Whenever I have taken birth control in the past, the first month is always crazy (my husband has had to go through it with me more than once, poor guy).  I'm not on anything now because I never want to go through that ever again.  I hope your Mirena levels out (however it works- I'm kind of in the dark about that type).  

Also, I was looking forward to possibly having a lighter and shorter period from doing a whole 30 but unfortunately the opposite happened.  I was only a week into my whole30, though.  

Happy Tuesday! Slightly less miserable than yesterday. 

Today is fish Tuesday, so I'm off to the markets at lunch. I'm feeling very achey today, which is annoying.

Meal 1: Eggs n kraut

Meal 2: Pork roast with BBQ sauce and roasted veggies

Meal 3: Fish (probably salmon) with fennel pepita pesto, blanched beans and broccoli (I finally got my blanching down and now I'm obsessed) with flaked almonds and apple cider mustard vinigrette, sweet potato chips.

I think yesterday was the first time this round that the meal 3 I posted in the AM was exactly what I ate, lol.

Meal 3: Pork steaks with spicy apple sauce, braised broccolini and carrots in ghee and sesame seeds, Sauteed garlic mushrooms. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach
12 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Pork was delish, with grilled sweet potatoes, oven baked broccolini and harrissa tahini cauliflower, and spicy apple sauce. 

That sounds like a delicious meal!! I love broccolini and forget to make it! Do you have a recipe for the cauliflower @SchrodingersCat?

15 minutes ago, Terra Milliken said:

That sounds like a delicious meal!! I love broccolini and forget to make it! Do you have a recipe for the cauliflower @SchrodingersCat?

For the cauli I used frozen florets, because I had them, and coated them in a mix of tahini, harrissa paste and lemon juice, then a generous amount of cracked pepper. Oven baked until they were getting crispy on the outside.

Thursday, yay! Hubs might be coming into the city for lunch but I think I'll just hang out with him rather than try and find something compliant.

Meal 3: Pfffffff... no clue. Might be lazy and just make steak. We shall see how inspired I get!

Dinner was scotch fillet steak, garlic fried mushrooms, roasted zucchini, eggplant and cauliflower in harrisa tahini.

Bit of gastric distress today, not sure the cause. 

I do love the way I sleep on this. Straight to sleep, sleep all night. Last weekend I found, though, that I couldn't sleep more than 8 hours, even though I wanted to! It would be fine if I was bright eyed and bushy tailed after, but I'm not. Pre-existing condition makes me fatigued and I usually treasure my 10 hours on a weekend. We shall see how this weekend goes!

Really not having issues with the giving up of wine this time around, even with the hubster still having a few. Course, we're going away with my parents next weekend, so I'll likely change my tune LOL

LOL, we're very lucky - my mum-in-law's yearly Xmas gift to us is a bulk lot of grass fed beef, conveniently sealed up into 2 person packages. So our lazy dinner is to defrost a pack of steak in the sink and throw some veggies on the side :D

Happy Valentines, people!!

Hubster and I don't really valentines. He got me decorative vegetables yesterday, which were gorgeous, but the timing was coincidental!

I ran out of lunches today, I have roasted veg but no protein and the supermarket didn't have my go-to smoked salmon. I ended up in Court from 9-2:30, so roasted veggies with eggs it is.

Torn on dinner. I still think I might fancy something up for dinner, just coz I can. I'll have to pop somewhere after work to buy ingredients though. This sounds dumb, but one of the issues with making fanchish dinners every night is it's hard to take it up a notch lol. Maybe I can find some spatchcocks. Ohh, or maybe duck breast...

• Whole30 Certified Coach
17 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ok we have Chicken Saltimbocca (thighs with sage, wrapped in Parma ham, baked with cherry tomatoes) with sauteed broccolini and radishes and truffled sweet potato mash.

Oh my @SchrodingersCat that dinner sounds amazing!!! I love Chicken Saltimbocca!

OK, confession - I had a SWYPO. As I've said before, I'm transitioning into this long term and SWYPO was never really my issue. The supermarket has these choc orange balls: Dates (48%), Desiccated Coconut (17%), Cashew Nuts (10%), Cacao Powder (8%), Almonds (8%), Orange Zest (3.8%), Concentrated Orange Juice (3.5%), Orange Flavour (0.2%). I had one, it was very tasty, but it hasn't set me off for more sugar or anything.

Sunday!! Another weekend down.

I had to make treats for morning tea tomorrow, the slice I made is nowhere even close to compliant, so I made the hubster try it haahaa. Apparently it's delicious. I'll take his word for it.

Meal 1 was Asian marinated chicken thighs (leftover dressing from the salad I had last week sometime) with sauteed coleslaw mix.

Dinner is going to be 'Chinese takeout' - Compliant roast pork omelette, cauli/brocc special fried rice, and beef snoww pea and red pepper stir fry in Whole30 Hoisin.

I made a delicious Coriander Coconut Beef curry for lunches, too. The house smells great.

Happy Monday, people. Or as I call it, "ugh, Monday".

Last 3 days of this round for me, not because it's day 27 but because my parents arrive on Thursday and will be making dinner, and Friday we fly out for a long weekend at a much anticipated cheese festival. That's ok, I have planned for this and will be getting back on track on the following Monday. 

Meal 1: eggs n kraut

Meal 2: Corriander Beef Curry with cuailu/brocc rice

Meal 3: Possibly lamb koftas. Maybe pork chops. I don't know. I'll work it out. Has to be something from the freezer because we only have 3 meals this week when I'm cooking, and one of them is fish and we have far too much food for me to be buying stuff on the way home!!

Fish Tuesday!

I feel like shellfish, I need a recipe. Something with scallops and prawns, maybe. Might do a cherry tomato chilli seafood 'pasta' with zoodles and sweet potato noodles for me.

Meal 1: eggs n kraut

Meal 2: Corriander Beef Curry with cauli/brocc rice

Meal 3: Right now, as above. We shall see what the markets hold, though.

Archived