toriathequeen

One week to go...

I started the Whole30 on January 1st. I’ve followed the rules to a ‘t.’ I meal plan, make recipes from the book, and eat three meals a day, but I’m still lacking energy. I’m constipated, and I haven’t noticed any significant changes to my body. What am I doing wrong?

What do your meals look like? Are you eating plenty of vegetables? Try for 2-3 cups at each meal. Drinking lots of water? Aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person should try fir at least 60 oz a day. Be sure you're adding a serving or two of healthy fat in addition to any oil you cook in at each meal. You can download the meal template here for more information: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

I’m eating meals straight out of the cookbook, and I usually increase the vegetables. I snack on celery, carrots, and  bell peppers. I drink 80 oz. of water plus two or three cups of herbal tea. I eat one whole avocado every day. Thanks for your advice...I already have the meal template.

You could try eating more fruit, especially prunes to see if that helps.

This month I tried intermittent fasting (I don't eat from 8:00 pm - 11:30 am but I drink coffee, tea and water during this time) while keeping my other two meals Whole30 compliant.  A couple times a week I eat walnuts as my protein for lunch but eat animal protein for all my other lunches and dinners.  My body responds well to this approach. 

Bottom line, Whole30 is a healthy place to start but everybody is different and our bodies respond uniquely to our diets.  Once you have finished the 30 days, I encourage you to experiment to figure out what works best for your body.  As long as you are eating a variety of whole, non-processed nutrient dense foods, you are on the right track.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, toriathequeen said:

I started the Whole30 on January 1st. I’ve followed the rules to a ‘t.’ I meal plan, make recipes from the book, and eat three meals a day, but I’m still lacking energy. I’m constipated, and I haven’t noticed any significant changes to my body. What am I doing wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything "wrong" as far as Whole30 goes! I can hear your frustration in your post. It's discouraging to be doing "everything right" and to still be lacking energy and be constipated. I'm curious about a few things: how's your sleep? How are you managing stress? And what does your daily movement look like (not "exercise," per se, but overall movement throughout the day)? I'm curious about these things because I have noticed in myself and people I've coached that these things all affect energy and digestion in different ways (and differently for each person). 

Also, wondering about your thyroid? I am not a doctor, but I have a thyroid issue, so hearing your concerns made me think of that immediately. 

Also, keep in mind the Whole30 "timeline" is an amalgamation of results and everyone is unique. You may be days away from feeling how you're hoping to feel! 

@toriathequeen I made some homemade sauerkraut at the start of January and after leaving it a few weeks to ferment I have been eating it this week. It has really kick started my gut, so maybe try some fermented foods? The unchilled stuff you get in supermarkets has usually been pasteurized to make it safe at room temperature so it kills all the good bacteria, but if you can find a health food store that sells chilled kraut or kimchi, maybe that would help if you tried it for a couple of days? 

(You could make your own but you would have to wait for it to ferment and it sounds like you need it now! This is what I made.)

On 1/25/2020 at 1:40 PM, W30CoachAmyLouton said:

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything "wrong" as far as Whole30 goes! I can hear your frustration in your post. It's discouraging to be doing "everything right" and to still be lacking energy and be constipated. I'm curious about a few things: how's your sleep? How are you managing stress? And what does your daily movement look like (not "exercise," per se, but overall movement throughout the day)? I'm curious about these things because I have noticed in myself and people I've coached that these things all affect energy and digestion in different ways (and differently for each person). 

Also, wondering about your thyroid? I am not a doctor, but I have a thyroid issue, so hearing your concerns made me think of that immediately. 

Also, keep in mind the Whole30 "timeline" is an amalgamation of results and everyone is unique. You may be days away from feeling how you're hoping to feel! 

Thank you to everyone who responded. I’m eating more fruit and feeling a bit less constipated. I’m still waiting for the “Tiger Blood.” 

I’m bipolar, so I take medication to help me sleep since I get manic sometimes. I sleep for eight hours.

I usually manage stress with yoga, but I’ve been so busy prepping food and cooking that I’ve missed many classes this month. Also, the studio in January is very busy with more people than normal, and I tend to practice more at home. I also journal every day that helps with stress.

I work as a Team Trainer at Whole Foods, so I’m on my feet and moving around all day and/or night. My schedule is erratic!

I had my thyroid checked just a couple of months ago, but I need to get the results. Thanks for the reminder!

I’m still dreaming about eating foods not on the Whole30, or drinking alcohol, and I haven’t had a drink in seven years! 
Could my cycle have anything to do with my outcome?

@toriathequeen I also have a bipolar diagnosis, and am on medication to help regulate my moods. I tend toward extreme mania when I'm unmedicated or drinking, so I've been sober for over 5 years and on medication for 3. I've done two rounds of Whole30, and used a lot of what I learned during those rounds to help me manage things beyond...

...but I never experienced "Tiger Blood" as it was written in all the reviews and other information that I'd read. What I DID experience was a day where I SWORE I was tending manic, until I realized that I felt manic but with the filter/safety on. I didn't feel out of control, didn't think I was untouchable, didn't want to go blow my bank account -- but my brain felt bouncy, like I had a million things going on mentally and no way to just pull it all back into a coherent pattern.

THAT was my "Tiger Blood", and once I got past the fear and realized that's what it was, I realized that I really didn't like it much. I did want the energy, but I needed to be able to function!

I found that, for me, tweaking when I was eating starchy veggies (and how much of them) was a key factor in managing my moods and energy level. For example, I do well with starchy veggies at meal 1 (these actually help me put more than 3 hours between it and meal 2), and I NEED them at meal 3 (because I don't sleep well without them), but I can't eat them between about 11am and 3pm or I'll drop into a food coma for hours and/or feel super-sluggish for a day or so as result. I also do best when it's not all about the white potatoes (despite my love of them), so I try to make sure I'm giving myself variety in my starches. I'd say my "daily dose" is 1.5 fists, on a normal day.

Regarding your cycle -- YES YES YES it can affect your experience! I have to tweak my macro intake based on where I am in my cycle, and I limit or boost other specific types of foods based on it, also. For instance, I limit foods that tend to make me gassy during that special week, because I know it'll make me more miserable if I'm gassy and bloated. I boost protein and try to make sure I eat more iron-rich foods in general, because I know I need the extra iron. I'm probably eating close to twice my normal portions during that week compared to the first week afterwards (week 1 of my cycle), and I don't typically "ramp up" until the week before. Some of that might be based on the app I use to track things, but some of it honestly just depends on how my body feels... if my app says I've got 15 days to go but my body says I need iron, then I boost my iron now instead of later.