Day 1 of second round-Fail

LindaC

Several years ago did the WH30 for about 90 days and felt great.  Sadly, did not do the reintroduction correctly and slowly but surely, went back to some old habits especially over the last holiday season.  Back at it again.  Today was day 1 and I already had a failure although I am not really counting it as a complete failure.  My husband had made a wonderful chicken and fennel soup with egg noodles.  Well, I could not bear to see it go to waste, so I had it for lunch today.  Everything else has gone well as far as eating.  I did not eat any of the awesome mac and cheese leftovers that I had from last night (yes, I seldom have my favorite food but figured if I'm going to go WH30 for another 30 or 90 days, I'm having it before I start!  It's a family recipe!)  BUT! I could not waste the soup, so day 1 is a partial failure.  Everything else will be compliant but those darn egg noodles.  Sooooo-technically, tomorrow will be day 1!  I am ready for this.

And now for the real day one.  Meal 1 off to a good start!  Two poached eggs over 1/2 baked potato and some of nomnom paleo's best braised cabbage.  This cabbage recipe was a big part of the reason I loved doing my first round of wh30!

Day 2.  M1 same as day 1 minus the baked potato.  God, how I love that Best Braised Cabbage!  So yummy.  Yesterday I made our favorite chicken curried soup recipe substituting home made Worcestershire sauce for bottled.  Had for lunch and dinner and will have it again today.  I knew once I started this journey again, I would get into it quickly.  And with no travel plans in the works for the next month or so, there should be no obstacles other than crazy food cravings.  I can tell that the sugar craving is diminishing so that is good.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going well.  One slip a week ago so started over.  Met some friends at an event and they invited us to join them for dinner at an Italian restaurant.  We did and I succumbed to a glass of wine and eggplant Parmesan without the pasta.  It was a choice I made but now back on track (again!).  Making some of my favorite recipes from the last WH30 I did.  It should stick this time.  Went to a photography opening exhibit last night and there were all sorts of goodies and wine but all I had were a few cashews.  Yay me!  Got home and had a few pieces of cooked shrimp and a cup of Golden Cauliflower soup for dinner.  Another one of my favorites!  We had even gone to my brother's house for dinner this week and he and my sister-in-law made sure dinner was WH30 compliant for me!  Gotta love people like that!

7 hours ago, LindaC said:

We had even gone to my brother's house for dinner this week and he and my sister-in-law made sure dinner was WH30 compliant for me

It is always nice and super encouraging when you have people in your life that support you in your health endeavors and tangibly demonstrate that by cooking a compliant dinner!!! That’s incredible 

Well today will present a bit of a challenge.  In addition to not feeling well at all (I think it could be a reaction to the chemo cream I am putting on a spot of skin cancer).  My oldest grandchild just had her 16th birthday.  Mike and I take each of our grandchildren out for lunch or dinner to the place of their choice and out for their gift.  Of course, as luck would have it, she has chosen to go to her favorite pizza place.  That wouldn't be too bad except they only serve pizza and salad and the worst salad at that!  Just mixed greens and tomato or a Caesar salad.  Nothing wrong with a challenge right!

Could you eat before you go?  If you feel you need to eat with your granddaughter to feel apart of the celebration could you bring food with you?  If the restaurant staff questions you just let them know you are on a special diet to identify allergen issues.  I’m sure you will find what works for you.  And I do hope you thoroughly enjoy your family on your outing.

19 hours ago, BabyBear said:

Could you eat before you go?  If you feel you need to eat with your granddaughter to feel apart of the celebration could you bring food with you?  If the restaurant staff questions you just let them know you are on a special diet to identify allergen issues.  I’m sure you will find what works for you.  And I do hope you thoroughly enjoy your family on your outing.

Thanks BabyBear!  I did eat a compliant snack before we left but we left too early for a full meal.  Fortunately, the salad although boring with just mixed greens, tomatoes and cucumbers was huge and with oil and vinegar, it was enough until I got home.  I won't lie though, watching them eat my favorite pizza was not that easy, but I know there will be more pizza in my future should I want it.

On to today!  M1 poached eggs over half baked potato and then to the grocery store to stock up for the week.  Hmmm, what delightful wh30 recipes shall I cook this week!

Real day 10.  Going well after the first few slip-ups.  Grocery shopped yesterday for the week ahead.  Husband made our favorite pan fried cod last night and had with roasted carrots and mushrooms.  M1 today was two poached eggs over sauteed spinach and canadian bacon.  Eating out tonight but that will be easy-salad with grilled chicken and compliant dressing.  Tomorrow is cooking day.  

Sort of a SWYPO breakfast.  Ok, if I'm being honest, it was.  Had an old banana I needed to use so I made egg/banana "pancakes" with a bit of almond flour.  Topped with chopped apple and a dollop of almond butter.  I say sort of because I don't like pancakes at all so this wasn't used to replace something I like or normally eat.  But I hate to see food go to waste and it's really too icy out there in my backyard to make a trip to the compost!  How's that for rationalization!  Now it's off to make a very large amount of sauteed vegetables and pork meatballs.  And you gotta love a husband who is not doing the WH30 that is planning on making our favorite chicken lemon soup and not adding orzo.  It's my favorite soup and he adds extra lemon tang for me.  When he does that, I can forgive him for the cookies and bread and ice cream he eats almost daily.  And we were at a meeting last night and I grabbed a La Croix key lime water and it tasted too sweet and a friend read the label and said it had sweetener so I gave it to him and he gave me his plain water.  (I just read the nutrition on the key lime La Croix and it is WH30 approved but still tasted too sweet) He knows I want to be successful at this.  And the last time I did this, my chronic cough all but disappeared.  And after several years still has not come back.  I had it ever since I was young and now it's gone.  And for that I will always love WH30!

37 minutes ago, LindaC said:

And the last time I did this, my chronic cough all but disappeared.  And after several years still has not come back.  I had it ever since I was young and now it's gone.  And for that I will always love WH30!

That is amazing that WH30 improved your health so much last time!  It feels incredibly good to have fuel from healthy foods instead of junk.  I totally agree with you about SWYPO- If banana pancakes are more of a way to get your eggs in in the morning, not just to eat pancakes, I don't think that is SWYPO.  You're good!  For me it was Whole30 chicken nuggets that I found I lost my control and wanted to eat them all... that was unexpected.  If you find you're craving a Whole30 "treat" meal, then you know you're probably in the danger zone.  I think the whole30 is more about getting out of our comfort zone- so it makes sense not to eat comfort foods/meals.  

Whew!  Came close again last night, but I persevered!  Had a call from a friend to meet up at a new pub in town for a drink and appetizers.  Three couples, and of the six of us there, four had poutine--that big old mound of french fries with gravy and cheese curds with chicken.  I stuck to my sparkling water and hamburger (tomato, lettuce, onion with no bun or cheese)  with french fries.  Technically the fries not the best choice, but virtue only goes so far!  

M1 today poached eggs over sauteed spinach and onion and Canadian bacon.  Should not be any pitfalls or road blocks today.  Next week, husband is away skiing with the kids and grandkids so it should be easy to stay compliant.  Valentine's Day company coming for dinner but they will be happy with a WH30 compliant dinner.  I'll make sure there is dessert for them!  All is good!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@LindaC Looks like today is Day 12. How are you feeling? Any NSV's (non-scale victories) you have experienced so far?

That's great you are having company over for Valentine's Day so you can make sure dinner is compliant! My family and I are cooking at home Friday to do the same! Not sure what is on the menu, yet. 

33 minutes ago, Terra Milliken said:

@LindaC Looks like today is Day 12. How are you feeling? Any NSV's (non-scale victories) you have experienced so far?

That's great you are having company over for Valentine's Day so you can make sure dinner is compliant! My family and I are cooking at home Friday to do the same! Not sure what is on the menu, yet. 

Thanks Terra, I feel quite good but not yet any NSV's.  At least nothing I can pinpoint.  Monday, I had a cortisone shot in my knee but it's starting to feel better and I can walk without limping so I expect to be more active now and feel better just from that!

We are having sauteed scallops with a big salad and some vegetable of some sort for Valentine's Day.  I'll also make a dessert for company and husband but not sure what yet.  And they will all have wine while I have sparkling water.  

Made my pork meatballs today along with roasted carrots and sauteed onions,mushrooms and peppers.  Made enough meatballs to freeze for emergency meals. Feeling prepared.

Off to another good start.  M1 1/2 baked sweet potato with sauteed vegetables and two poached eggs.  M2 chicken lemon soup (without the orzo but plenty of lemon!) and an apple with almond butter.  M3 will be pork meatballs with more of the sauteed vegetables I made yesterday.  Preparation is key!  Back to workout tomorrow.  Hopefully, the knee holds up!

23 hours ago, Terra Milliken said:

@LindaC your meals sound tasty! Now I want some lemon soup!! Fingers crossed on our knee! What will your workout be?

Terra, the soup is so delicious!  I had some for m2 today.  Even without the orzo that is usually in it!  Had personal training this morning-and the knee held up just fine!  A few twinges while on the rowing machine, but nothing too bad.  

Now for the hard part.  For company dinner tonight, my husband found an angel hair pasta recipe he wants to make along with the scallops.  It sounds so good, but I'm making the big salad so I'll be content with that.  I made a Swedish Apple Pie for their dessert.  It isn't big so leftover's won't be a problem-my husband will have any leftover for breakfast tomorrow along with his cappuccino!  Yes, he is that person!

Had to eat m3 early last night before a meeting.  Got home about five hours later and was STARVING!  Had a few olives and almonds and called it good.

Things are feeling good.  Pain in the knee is almost all but gone, and so far doing good with the eating.  Whew!  Not hard, not easy.

Wow you are a rockstar!  Making a pie and not eating it!  You must love your hubby an awful lot.  I bet you could use spaghetti squash (if you like it) to make a version of the angel hair pasta dish.  If it calls for cheese you could use some nutritional yeast flakes.  That is if he liked it and you wanted to create a whole 30 friendly version for yourself. 

10 hours ago, BabyBear said:

Wow you are a rockstar!  Making a pie and not eating it!  You must love your hubby an awful lot.  I bet you could use spaghetti squash (if you like it) to make a version of the angel hair pasta dish.  If it calls for cheese you could use some nutritional yeast flakes.  That is if he liked it and you wanted to create a whole 30 friendly version for yourself. 

Oh thank you BabyBear!  Not a rock star but I don't really want to start over.  His first thought was to use spaghetti squash but then really wanted the angel hair pasta and it's my sister-in-law's favorite food (seriously! she passed on the pie to have two helpings of pasta and scallops!)  I was happy with the scallops and big salad -ok- if I'm honest it was not at all easy but I figured I've made it this far so I've got to try hard to get the next two weeks done.  He's away next week so I'm on my own and there will be less temptation in the house.  And yes, my husband is a really awesome guy in that he never tries to sabotage my WH30 efforts and is almost always willing to cook compliant meals.  My sugar craving is lessening so that's one NSV!

Archived