Depression and Weight

Hello.  Has anyone with depression and anxiety done the Whole30 while on many anti-depressants?  I am doing this to help my anxiety/depression, but I also need to lose a significant amount of weight that seems to be related to one of my anti-depressants in particular.  I'm wondering if someone out there has tried to lose weight, despite the odds with anti-depressants, on the Whole30.  Did it work for you?  Did you lose any weight?  Any advice?

Hi Maria!

I'm not medicated for depression and not traditionally medicated for anxiety (I am on beta-blockers instead of specifically anti-anxiety meds), but I did 2 rounds last year and I'm on round 3 now. I can honestly say, one of the biggest stands outs to me on round is my complete lack of anxiety. I don't know what was contributing to it, but it was one of the biggest differences I saw. 

I can't speak to losing weight while on anti-depressants, I gained a bunch of med weight a few years ago and know how hard it is to shift, but I did lose a bunch of weight on W30 and found that not weighing, measuring, tracking calories, overthinking - just cooking yum meals from a set list of foods was actually very freeing. I struggle with some disordered eating and calorie counting, which successful for me in the past becomes all consuming. On W30 I think about food a lot, but it's a lot more fun!

SchrodingersCat,

Thank you so much for responding to me.  So many people were viewing my note but not responding (probably because my situation did not apply to them).  Even though you've had some different experiences, I appreciate hearing about your weight loss and how you are on round 3 of the Whole30.  On another note, I'm wondering about your name and picture.  Are you an artist or a writer?  No need to respond if it's too personal.

Thanks again!

Maria

3 minutes ago, Maria45 said:

SchrodingersCat,

Thank you so much for responding to me.  So many people were viewing my note but not responding (probably because my situation did not apply to them).  Even though you've had some different experiences, I appreciate hearing about your weight loss and how you are on round 3 of the Whole30.  On another note, I'm wondering about your name and picture.  Are you an artist or a writer?  No need to respond if it's too personal.

Thanks again!

Maria

I wish I were an artist or a writer! I've just always loved the Schrodinger's Cat theory/story (even though it was just a scientific joke), and I've been using it as a username since my teens. The profile pic was just one I found on Google images, but I liked it!

• 1 month later...

Hi Maria!

Like you, I am fairly new to the Whole30. I also have bipolar disorder. On a previous post I read when I was first looking into this, which would be quite some time ago, the person answering a question regarding medications and bipolar disorder, discouraged going off the bipolar meds at all. I agree. I will become psychotic in a big hurry if I do. However, I think anxiety is a bit of a different animal. I think that developing coping skills with it is extremely important. Learning coping strategies won't necessarily eliminate any need for prescription drugs, but talk therapy should go a long way toward analyzing why you get anxious, and in which settings. I've had medications in the past geared specifically for depression. They're good for a temporary measure, but I think lifestyle habits, including getting a whole heckuva lot of sunshine help a lot. I remember how difficult it is to "snap out of it," so don't worry, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that some talk therapy will likely help with both the anxiety and the depression. Try to start walking on sunny days, garden, or other outdoor activities to combat that old nemesis of depression. But, do NOT let these two illnesses rule your life. YOU are in control of your own destiny, and that's part of your motivation for the Whole30, right? NAMI is a good resource for information on mental illness. Don't hesitate to check it out. in the meantime, take control of your food lifestyle now. The fact you are embarking on this journey says a lot about your desire to get well. Go for it!

D

Dacia,

Thank you so much for your pep talk.  You are right 100%.  I will take your advice to garden, walk, and spend more time outdoors.  I live in a suburb of Chicago and the weather is just now getting better.  I wish you well in your health journey --- both physical and mental!

Maria

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Maria, Kelly Brogan's book on depression and anxiety has helped me a lot. I came off all meds in December thanks to the eight-week MBSR programme (mindfulness-based stress reduction). On medication, it was very hard to lose weight even with Whole 30. I'm now doing a round without meds and hoping the weight starts to come off. Kelly Brogan questions the use of medication to treat depression and anxiety and highlights the side effects of these medicines and their questionable value. Her recommendations include Whole30-style diet, exercise and meditation.

Archived