Swapping Beef Broth for Chicken Broth

AlyssaB

Hi all! I'm planning on making a recipe this week that calls for beef broth to be used in the gravy. Unfortunately, I can't find a compliant beef broth (normal, stock, or bone) at my local supermarket. I do however have compliant chicken bone broth at home. Does anyone have experience making a similar swap? If so, did you notice any differences in taste? Thanks! :)

I recall reading in a gravy recipe that if you used beef broth it would taste more like a gravy and if you used chicken broth it would taste almost more like a creamy soup. I'm not sure if that helps, but it makes sense to me. And I can totally see wanting either of those flavors depending on the dish! Good luck!

I love, love, love using chicken broth for my gravies. In fact, I think the only time I use beef broth is for mushroom gravy, because it gives the gravy a much richer flavor. Like the others said, beef broth will give more depth and chicken broth tends to be lighter. You can always change things up with herbs/spices, and you can add the drippings from your meat (if applicable for what you're making) which will give further flavor to the gravy.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Terra Milliken said:

@Alyssa B not sure if you live near a Kroger, but if you do their carton of low-sodium beef broth is normally compliant. Just a tip for the future. In a pinch, I use chicken, too!

@AlyssaB definitely check those ingredients before assuming the carton's compliant, please! I know the Kroger brand beef broth at my local store contain fructose. They both also have caramel color, which I know has been pointed out as a sneaky sugar by mods in the past. Anyway, just reminding how important it is to always check labels, even if something's compliant in one part of the country or was compliant from your own store last week (because packaging and/or recipes may differ).

• Whole30 Certified Coach
15 hours ago, Jihanna said:

@AlyssaB definitely check those ingredients before assuming the carton's compliant, please! I know the Kroger brand beef broth at my local store contain fructose. They both also have caramel color, which I know has been pointed out as a sneaky sugar by mods in the past. Anyway, just reminding how important it is to always check labels, even if something's compliant in one part of the country or was compliant from your own store last week (because packaging and/or recipes may differ).

Thanks @Jihannafor pointing out to read the ingredients! Yes, always read the labels even if you have purchased the product before because companies change their recipes all of the time. It is maddening that companies package their items and they can look exactly the same, but yet the ingredients are different depending on where they are sold! There is a mayo in stores in my town that looks exactly the same but the Costco version is compliant and yet when sold at Kroger it is not!

• 3 weeks later...

If I only have chicken broth when the recipe calls for beef, I will reduce the chicken broth a bit to deepen the flavor.  If the recipe calls for two cups, start with three cups, simmer it for awhile until it gets down to two cups.

Shhhh, don't tell my hubby I do this because he says the two aren't the same.  Hasn't noticed yet!

Archived