Whole 30 for Lent

shortstaque

Committing to starting my first Whole30 on Ash Wednesday. Looking for others starting the same day.  I put out the info to an online women's fitness and accountability group I'm in and talked to a few people at work but haven't found anyone to join me yet. Might be flying solo.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Azul!

In the freezer I've got 4 frittattas portioned for weekday on the go breakfasts, 8 cooked chicken breasts ready for salads for lunch,  beef stew and chili prepped to pinch hit for days I don't have time to make dinner.  Menu set for the week. Shopping is done. Tomorrow I will prep my "salad bar" in my fridge that makes packing lunches and side salads easier.  I have emergency nuts in my planning rooms in all three schools where I teach. As soon as I have my donut for Fat Tuesday tomorrow (a yearly tradition) I think I'm ready to do this thing.  This is my first W30, but I think I'm gonna be good. I was GF and macrobiotic for 5 years if I could go without flour and sugar for that long I can manage on W30 for 30 days (I hope!!!) Big difference now is that I have my family to take into consideraton.  

Luckily I found a coworker who said she is on board. Hoping that doesn't fall through.  

Good luck with round 3. I'll keep you posted on how things progress.  

Jen

I’m starting too! This will be my first whole 30. I’ve done elimination diets that were similar before and had a tough time but made it through! Hopeful that the whole 30 day to day guide I bought and having people to check in with will help! 
Just looking to be healthier and feel better! :)

Hi.  I did Whole 30 for Lent the last 2 years.  Looks like my Facebook groups for that didn’t come round this year.  So, I just found you all here.  Glad I did.  I started the Sunday before Ash Wednesday because I was feeling so dragged down I wanted to get into action.  I quit drinking on New Years so at least I’m not battling that demon.  So, I’m on day 13.  My days aren’t following the usual calendar.  Seem a bit delayed.  Last night I had a dream about Karo light corn syrup.  Ew.  I have lots of aches and pains in my joints but that probably from the springtime wild fluctuations in barometric pressure.  

Hoping this round helps alleviate some arthritic like pain I’ve been experiencing, but my real goal is to work on discipline since I really do lack in that.  Praying the cravings through.

Meatless Friday means a tomato spinach frittata for breakfast, tuna salad with walnuts for lunch, vegan roasted pumpkin soup and salad for dinner.  Lots of coffee, water and tea.

Nice to meet you all here.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:46 PM, shortstaque said:

How's everyone doing so far?

It's being difficult ... but in an enriching way

I'm frequently reading this post... I like it a lot
https://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30 

And then I read this one too:
https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations (I always laugh at the beginning with the title banner... )

I think it's being a good Lent for me
Thanks for asking :D

Just finished day 15, but on the Whole 30 calendar it feels like the Oh No My Pants Are Tighter days.  Guess that means I’m coming up on the Toughest Days going into Week 3 of my 7 week program.  

Doing ok.  Able to resist temptations and put off cravings.  Drinking lots of water and tea.  

just getting through it.  Cooking a lot.  Had skillet pork chops with onions, apples and sauerkraut tonight.  Loved every bite.

Hey all, 

MJ I'm with you. Lower abdominal distention going on here. I've also had a headache for two days.  

I'm struggling right now, not with staying compliant, I have no doubt I can do that, but with whether it is worth the aggravation. 

From where I sit I can't see anything good about this program. I am under the impression that eating more meat and eggs is not a good choice for me. I was really hopeful coming into this that the elimination part would be helpful in some way, but I'm just not seeing any benefit. If I were seeing some positive change I would be willing to forgo the foods that they eliminate, but I'm just not seeing it. I actually feel worse, if anything. Not to mention, mealtime is a drag and a bore and I've spent so much time and money on foods that I'm largely not enjoying.  (too much meat!) The thing is, I love a well prepared salad or vegetables and I normally eat a lot of them, but I like the sharpness of a little cheese on my salad. I like the crunch of quality sourdough toast on the weekend with my veggie hashbrowns and egg.  I really enjoyed the chili I made, but I far prefer it with beans instead of half the meat. I think that is much healthier for me and my body, too. I am seriously questioning if I should bother continuing on with the program. I fully subscribe the idea that I can do anything for 30 days. But now I'm wondering if I want, too.  

W30 is taking over my life and I don't think I like it. It is stressful. I don't think eating healthily should be stressful. It should be joyful.  

Oh well, just had to get that off my chest. I'm usually a really positive person, so I'm a little surprised by this turn of events. Maybe I'll feel differently when the headache and the stomach distention go away and my teeth stop aching from chewing all that meat.  

I'm thinking this program is better for people who are accustomed eating a lot of processed foods. Maybe they are the ones seeing drastic improvements. Coming from already eating a diet full of a wide variety of whole foods, this seems to be limiting my healthy options. I feel I am eating less healthily. Many meats, nuts, and olives have an awful lot of sodium, which is a bigger concern to me than whether I have toast once a week or a little maple syrup in my salad dressing.

Yes.  I eat a lot of sugar.  I expected to see improvement faster ... this is my 3rd Whole 30 Lent, but I’m not seeing it this time.  Day 17 for me, and I have zero energy.  Lots of brain fog.  Having trouble staying focused on reading a magazine or a book.

I quit drinking on New Years, so maybe that’s another reason I’m not feeling that boost.  One of the problems had already been eliminated.

I’m sticking with it.  It’s a discipline thing for me mixing the food with the Lenten devotion of seeking self-improvement.  I miss cheese. I miss diet soda, and I miss my candy.  I’m a classic penny-candy lover.  So I’m happy to have an excuse to pass up those things.

I also miss the scale.

Not here to talk you into keeping with it if you don’t think it’s for you.  You know your body and your health and your eating habits.  Good luck to you in your decision.

I think I'm going to keep eliminating the sugar and the alcohol except for special occassions and otherwise go back to my Mediterranean diet. It is definitely good to keep those things in check while maintaining balance. 

Passing on the treats has been relatively easy for me, though I do love a piece of dark chocolate now and again. I definitely miss the variety of foods I am accustomed to eating and the wide range of flavors and textures that play off each other.  The meats definitly do not suit me in larger quantities. I usually use meat as accents and rely on whole grains and beans to fill in the gap.  

I hope you see the results that you are hoping for soon.  I was looking at the Lenten W30 as a little spring cleaning so to speak.  Wishing you the best luck! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KnittingNP said:

Hi! I started on Ash Wednesday too.  I did well the first week and have stuck to the plan.  Yesterday and today has been a real struggle for me.  I'm really hungry and tired.  Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions?

If you're hungry, it is okay to eat more. Our bodies sometimes need more food, due to stress or not sleeping well or increased activity or hormones.  If you menstruate, the week or so before your period especially will tend to a time when you need more food in general, and may benefit from more starchy vegetables especially. 

1 hour ago, KnittingNP said:

I'm really hungry and tired.  Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions?

Yes, I was getting hungry before my next meal and feeling sluggish. I'm not sure if you are sticking to the protein and healthy fat recommendations, but I upped the protein and fat I had with meals and it helped with the hunger, it just started to wreak havoc on my digestion. So you might also try eating a little larger portion of protein and fat if you find one meal isn't holding you over til the next.  

11 hours ago, KnittingNP said:

Hi! I started on Ash Wednesday too.  I did well the first week and have stuck to the plan.  Yesterday and today has been a real struggle for me.  I'm really hungry and tired.  Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions?

The first few days will be difficult but don't lose hope.

Hi! I actually started before Ash Wednesday because I was so appalled at where I had gotten in my relationship with food.  I’ve stuck to the letter of the law here, but not the spirit.  I’ve continued to struggle with binging (though it’s on whole30 foods). I know all the book answers on how to deal with this yet I can’t seem to stop.  I’m so frustrated and feel like a failure.  Like I thought I had gotten to such a good place a few months ago, but now I feel large and out of control, even if I’m sticking to the whole30 rules technically.  I feel like I’ve tried everything, from support to reading the books to knowing all the right things to tell myself to even calling into a food addicts anonymous group one time.  Yet here I am again, having eaten 3 servings of the delicious chicken Marsala I cooked.... I’m just venting I guess.  But thanks for being here

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Tiara1234 said:

Hi! I actually started before Ash Wednesday because I was so appalled at where I had gotten in my relationship with food.  I’ve stuck to the letter of the law here, but not the spirit.  I’ve continued to struggle with binging (though it’s on whole30 foods). I know all the book answers on how to deal with this yet I can’t seem to stop.  I’m so frustrated and feel like a failure.  Like I thought I had gotten to such a good place a few months ago, but now I feel large and out of control, even if I’m sticking to the whole30 rules technically.  I feel like I’ve tried everything, from support to reading the books to knowing all the right things to tell myself to even calling into a food addicts anonymous group one time.  Yet here I am again, having eaten 3 servings of the delicious chicken Marsala I cooked.... I’m just venting I guess.  But thanks for being here

Sorry you're feeling this way!  I do wonder if the binging could be because you're limiting during other meals?  Do you eat a meal template breakfast within an hour of waking and then another one 5-6 hours later? Are you going an exceptionally long time between your last meal and the one you binge on? 

Other things I wonder... do you live alone or with people who are sharing the food resource?  if you are living with others, is there a chance that you're 'resource guarding' by eating 'your share'?  If this could be the case, then pack up the other servings into containers that the other people in your household know are off limits and then you know consciously and subconsciously that the resource is safe.  If you live alone, could you try asking 'present you' to be kind to 'future you' and not eat it all because future you will really thank you when they have lunch the next day.  Other mind tricks: 'I can make this EVERY DAY if I want to', 'if I need to get up at 3am and eat because I'm hungry, I'm an adult who will do just that'.  

I realize that binging is very complex and can't be solved with words on a page but hopefully this will help and I would be interested in the answers to how you're eating the rest of the day to see if that is leading into you 'binging' because you're actually just starving and your body needs the nourishment.   

I just cleared Day 26 of my 49 Day Whole 30 for Lent.

Haven't gotten that Tiger Blood yet.  I sure could use it.  Because I haven’t gotten that Tiger Blood I am tempted to get on the scale, but I haven’t.  The scale is put away with the batteries taken out.

I had the flu in early Feb and a cough has lingered and I have some hip pain that wakes me up.  I started taking Tylenol before I go to bed.  I wonder if that’s part of the problem.

Still hanging in there.  I’m over the half-way point.  Good luck everyone.  Stay healthy.

Archived