Whole 30 for Lent

shortstaque

Now on Day 32.  A different approach to this challenge now.  My husband was working outside of the US for the past 7 weeks.  Immigration made him return to the US.  Now he his home and I’m left to satisfy his appetite as well as keep my Whole 30 for Lent going.  

I made him a pot of homemade whole milk yogurt.  He eats corn chips and salsa in front of me, and cheese is back in the house.  That’s tough.  I’m hanging in there, though.

In return he’s getting me out of the house walking the dog in the Park together.  I’ve been too much of a homebody.

Still no tiger blood.

Day 37.

It’s much easier doing Whole 30 when the entire social calendar has been cleared and I’m in co trial in the kitchen.  Only problem I’m having is my husband enjoying ice cream or corn chips.  My daughter has Oreos in the pantry which smell soooo good.

There is too much food in the refrigerator.  It’s from too much cooking.  A lot of fresh foods instead of processed foods, so there are more leftovers.  Past few days I made a meatloaf, a balsamic chicken salad with strawberries and a kalhua pork with cabbage.    I also made two pounds of the Whole 30 pork breakfast sausage that I freeze for quick protein in the skillet.

Feeling like a few pounds have dropped.  Wishing I felt more relief from aches and pains.

We’ll see what happens over the next 12 days left.

Day 39 done.

Our family goes out to eat frequently.  Staying at home has made a difference with compliance.  I would usually take salad dressing with me and order salad without cheese and/or croutons.  Boring.  I’m enjoying all the cooking.

I made eye of round last night and woke up a bit bloated.  Might have been the horseradish I opted for.  Just horseradish - not a horseradish sauce.

One confession to make.  I will cook with wine.  A few weeks ago I made an au jus with pan drippings and a cup of red.  I also made a lemon chicken dish and added a quarter cup of white cooking wine.  Chemistry says the alcohol burns off, and I stay true to some recipes.  I don’t drink anymore, so I rarely have any alcohol in the house, but if m husband has a bottle of red in the house to go with his beef, then I’ll use it to make the stew or the sauce.

I am definitely in the “I am so ready for this to be over stage.”  I miss cake.

Easter will be here soon enough.

Well, I seem to be talking to myself here.  That’s ok.  Happy to journal.

Day 43.  I am sooooo ready for this to be over, but sticking to it.  I think of cake several times a day.  A problem with Whole 30 for Lent is that it ends on Easter with all those wonderful forbidden foods ready for feasting.

At the end of each week I have completed I’ve been treating myself to a kitchen gadget.

week 1 - julienne peeler

week 2 - rack to hang some new serving bowls.

week 3 - revere wear steamer and double boiler bowl.

week 4 - ceramic baker

week 5 - refrigerator and freezer thermometers

week 6 - stainless steel 4 quart mesh strainer

The stay at home order works with all the cooking, but I’m sure the grocery shoppers wonder about my ordered items - coconut aminos, rice vinegar, almond flour.  Not the usual quarantine items.

Lots of leftovers in the fridge, and running the dishwasher everyday.  Just can’t get my kitchen u see control with everyone home all day and cooking such a large part of this program.

I am starting to notice a change in my shape in the mirror.  That’s nice.  Lots of weight to take off, but this is a good start.

I just can’t overdo it at Easter.

Day 47

I went into noncompliance with one food.

Honey.

The pollen here has been screaming high, and My daughter and I walk in the arboretum.  Still recovering from a cough from January, I’ve been uncomfortable and was taking Zyrtec.  I finally took a large spoonful of local honey, and that night I slept without the burning pain in my hip.  Hmm.

So, I’ve been continuing this the last three nights, and the ever present hip pain throughout this Whole 49 has not flared up.  Read up on it, and there does seem to be a connection between honey and arthritis pain.

Other than that, I’m in my final 72 hours.  Yay me!  A bit disappointed that I’m not feeling weight loss.  Almost stepped on the scale two nights ago, but then I figured it would not be fair to step on the scale in the early evening.  Talked myself out of it.  Just thought at the time that I really wanted to know if I had dropped any lbs.

Planning Easter dinner.  Smoked ham, lentil salad, potato salad, green salad.  Carrot cake for those who want it.  No chocolate allowed.

That’s an interesting and neat idea.  Even a good and smart idea actually @MJ of Cayman

Namely some small reward for completing some time frame.  I’m in my first W30 and it’s dragging already, taking me 50% longer to hit the timeline milestones which suggests I need to do 45+ days too of this.

There’s been so much other big stuff going on even in my own life: working two jobs, navigating buying new construction, and up and having moved 1500 miles away from my former abode tends to keep my focus away from smaller goals like slavishly following a diet... and it’s easy to slip desperately wanting that mocha latte (or cake).

I might see if I can try to come up with some small reward thing for myself for staying the course besides financial ones.

Archived