Hey guys, I'm currently in the reintroduction phase of my whole30. Yesterday I reintroduced dairy. I consumed both lactose containing and non lactose containing dairy.  Although I did have a couple of physical symptoms, my primary reaction was psychological. I felt anxious the entire day and I experienced insomnia. Has anyone else had some mental side effects during their reintroduction? I looked it up this morning, and was surprised to see that it is a documented side effect for some.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
8 hours ago, SarahsvatiBlue said:

Hey guys, I'm currently in the reintroduction phase of my whole30. Yesterday I reintroduced dairy. I consumed both lactose containing and non lactose containing dairy.  Although I did have a couple of physical symptoms, my primary reaction was psychological. I felt anxious the entire day and I experienced insomnia. Has anyone else had some mental side effects during their reintroduction? I looked it up this morning, and was surprised to see that it is a documented side effect for some.

Anxiety and insomnia are definitely side effects people can experience from foods/drinks. I sure do!! For me, sugar and alcohol are two items that cause my anxiety to go through the roof and prevent me from sleeping well. In fact, insomnia was a big reason why I started Whole30. I thought I was not sleeping from stress and it turns out it was the wine!

Sorry that was your experience, too! 

Go back to eating Whole30 a few days until you feel back to normal before you introduce anything else. When ready to reintroduce again, you could do the items you tried today one at a time to pinpoint which is causing the issue. Try one of the items and then wait a few days again. 

1 hour ago, Terra Milliken said:

Anxiety and insomnia are definitely side effects people can experience from foods/drinks. I sure do!! For me, sugar and alcohol are two items that cause my anxiety to go through the roof and prevent me from sleeping well. In fact, insomnia was a big reason why I started Whole30. I thought I was not sleeping from stress and it turns out it was the wine!

Sorry that was your experience, too! 

Go back to eating Whole30 a few days until you feel back to normal before you introduce anything else. When ready to reintroduce again, you could do the items you tried today one at a time to pinpoint which is causing the issue. Try one of the items and then wait a few days again. 

OMG me too, wine anxiety is horrific!! Here I was, thinking a glass or 2 of wine would relax me and help me sleep, when it was the wine causing the anxiety in the first place. I sleep like the dead on W30!

• Whole30 Certified Coach
19 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

OMG me too, wine anxiety is horrific!! Here I was, thinking a glass or 2 of wine would relax me and help me sleep, when it was the wine causing the anxiety in the first place. I sleep like the dead on W30!

I had no idea it was the wine and that it could make me feel so anxious!!! When I found that out I was so happy/sad! LOL Great to have the knowledge, but sad it was the wine!!

Archived