Day 28 - Depressed and Fat

Maria45

Hello.  It's my Day 28.  I went into this after doing Paleo for a few months.  I did this for 2 reasons.  First, I have severe depression and anxiety.  I thought that eating right would help me a lot.  Second, I gained a ton of weight on an anti-depressant and really needed to lose it.  I know that the Whole30 is not supposed to be a diet, but here's the thing:  I did not have one Thanksgiving piece of pumpkin pie, I did not eat one single Christmas cookie, I did not toast the new year, and I did not eat a single chocolate given to me on Valentine's Day.  I don't understand how all of that would not lead to weight loss?!  I am incredibly nervous that I will learn, in 2 days, that I have not lost any weight.  I need to lose weight for my health and problems that are starting to occur due to weight gain such as obstructive sleep apnea.  If I find that I did not lose weight, but I want to continue with this type of eating, does anyone have suggestions for a Whole30 + weight loss?

I am super super super new to this but I do know something about anxiety and depression. Whole30, for me, is meant to help me those two things. I think your anxiety towards weight loss is potentially causing you to keep on weight if you have found you didn't lose weight. Instead of using that as a guide, let me ask you this - do you feel better? Did you prove to yourself that you can tackle something that requires commitment, dedication and an understanding of your own body and needs? I can answer that second one for you because you are on day 29 - yes, yes you did and it looks like you have kids so kudos on the double whammy. all you need to know is that you got your health in a better spot. If it does not result in weight loss and you actually do need to medically lose weight then your next step is a doctor and explain what you have done to try to adjust your health. Chances are the doctor would not have supplied any medical modifications until your food intake was adjusted anyways so you eliminated a step 1. 

My husband has sleep apnea brought on by weight gain, he did Whole 30 and while it helped other things it was not successful in weight loss or sleep apnea however, the doctor praised his health and set him up with the sleep study which then resulted in the fact that all were connected. One very quick surgery later on his nose and boom he actually lost weight and is sleeping like a baby. You could try fasting but again - whole 30 is meant to make you feel good regardless of weight loss so you need to focus on how you feel internally and the badass-ness you've accomplished! 

• Moderators
On 2/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, Maria45 said:

Hello.  It's my Day 28.  I went into this after doing Paleo for a few months.  I did this for 2 reasons.  First, I have severe depression and anxiety.  I thought that eating right would help me a lot.  Second, I gained a ton of weight on an anti-depressant and really needed to lose it.  I know that the Whole30 is not supposed to be a diet, but here's the thing:  I did not have one Thanksgiving piece of pumpkin pie, I did not eat one single Christmas cookie, I did not toast the new year, and I did not eat a single chocolate given to me on Valentine's Day.  I don't understand how all of that would not lead to weight loss?!  I am incredibly nervous that I will learn, in 2 days, that I have not lost any weight.  I need to lose weight for my health and problems that are starting to occur due to weight gain such as obstructive sleep apnea.  If I find that I did not lose weight, but I want to continue with this type of eating, does anyone have suggestions for a Whole30 + weight loss?

Sometimes, even tho we have weight to lose, our bodies prioritize other healing over dropping pounds.  It can be disheartening to have done the entire program and not have visible results but I honestly encourage you to find other results... is your skin better? Your sleep better? Cravings diminished? How's the depression and anxiety? One thing that you might also consider is that stress hormones can impact your ability to lose weight and if you've been stressing this entire time about losing xx pounds, you could be actually working against your own body chemistry.

Stay the course, eat three template meals a day and believe that choosing health will make you healthy... 

Also, on that note, if you have been under-eating in an attempt to hack the program and restricting to count calories, it's VERY likely that you've done yourself a disservice... when you restrict calories and food, you put your body into survival mode and it does not drop weight when it thinks you're in a famine.  If you would like to know more about whether this could be what's going on, feel free to list out a few example days of what you've been eating including portions etc... and we can have a look and see.  I know it seems counter intuitive to eat more to lose weight but you want your body feeling safe and nourished so it knows that sufficient food is coming again every 4-6 hours...

Hi SugarcubeOD.

I did weigh myself on Day 31 and lost 6 pounds.  I realize how easily 6 pounds can be gained back.  I've decided to continue with the program and do a Whole45 or a Whole60.  (Most likely thinking about a Whole60.)

No, I have not been stressing about losing weight.  However, I do have depression and anxiety (getting much better for several different reasons), so there is stress in my life but not about weight loss.

I did not under-eat by any means.  I followed the template 100%.  I am a total "rule follower" so I did not take a bite of anything off program, I did not weigh myself until Day 31, and I ate what the program recommends.  Here is a sample of a possible day:

Breakfast - Coffee with cashew and walnut milk, 3 eggs with mixed vegetables, half of an avocado

Lunch - Asian chicken salad (in Whole30 cookbook) with chicken for protein, sesame seed oil and almonds for fat, and tons of vegetables

Dinner - Cascadian Farms' root vegetable hashbrowns, sausage patties, Cocoyo coconut yogurt for healthy fat

If anything, I might be a bit heavy on fats for breakfast.

I became addicted to Artisana cashew nut butter, although it only had one ingredient:  raw cashews.  I did give this up because I'm trying not to have any unhealthy relationships with food.

Sometimes I will eat frozen fruits because I like how they taste when they are frozen.

I will continue to eat this way and I really like what you wrote:  "Choosing health will make you healthy."  It's so true!

My issue is that I am very overweight and that does affect my health.  (Can I blame my anti-depressants for all of the weight gain?)  I did stop wheezing with the Whole30, but I have other issues that are serious like the obstructive sleep apnea that I mentioned in my last post.  So - Yes, I will follow the Whole30 template, but I must also find a way to lose weight... maybe exercise is the key.

Thanks so much for reading my post and for responding.  If you have any other ideas, please let me know.  I would love to hear from you.

Thank you!

Maria

SelWhole30,

I just noticed your note.  Thank you for all of your suggestions!  Thank you for the empathy with depression/anxiety and sleep apnea.  A sleep study may be in the future for me!  Also, thank you for the kind words.  Yes, it does feel great to accomplish something like the Whole30.  I'm continuing on to a Whole45 or a Whole60.

Maria

• 1 month later...

hi Maria, i'm reading this a little late, but I am on a March (what a time to be not drinking or eating delicious toast!) and although it's for my health, (my mother has been sick and i've been eating my feelings like i haven't since high school) i really went on because i was crying every single day and depressed and needed to get my head straight. 

through this whole month of coronavirus and craziness when everyone says, Just have a drink, come into the bar  (corona-spreading crae-crae gen Z people), or have a drink on this Zoom Happy Hour, here! i have bagels!

all i can think is that i'm NOT depressed. I'm scared about Coronavirus, the economy, How bad the novel i'm writing might be, if i'm going to be kicked out of my sublet because all income had disappeared (i sell vintage clothes. not an essential sector, according to Cuomo.) and i can't pay rent but i'm not sad. I haven't cried other than when my aunt went into hospital.

that said, i don't think i've lost a pound and my self image is entirely (insert emotionally abusive parents here) attached to my weight, and i don't think i've lost more than a pound and it's almost over. but i think the feeling healthy, eating these delicious radishes (radishes! i don't even like radishes but a nice CSA lady who i bought fresh eggs gave me them) with this anchovy mayo (just added dill and anchovies to the whole 30 recipe) and running and so what if i'm not thin if i'm not crying?

anyway this wasn't to say anything but you have people out there who are with you.

also, i'm doing a whole 60.  because April seems like it's going to be worse.  so see you there.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, anneeo08 said:

so what if i'm not thin if i'm not crying?

YES!  Our weight is ONE small factor in our overall health... it sounds like you're feeling much more stable and in control than you may have in the past and even than you may have if you'd been going through this pandemic without Whole30.  That's amazing!  You may also find that when you put weight in the background and focus on your mental and emotional health and the non scale victories, that any weight that you have to lose will find it's way away.

Hold steady in this scary time!

Archived