I am confused...

So it turns out I have SIBO.

It might explain quite a few of my health issues.

But, I do not understand the difference between Low Fodmap an Whole30.. I ordered a SIBO book and here things are a little different! I know that it is very individual what diet that works the best and that I must find my way.. but I kinda was set om Whole30 now. For fodmap it Removes onions and garlic and avocado, which I love. I do suspect my system dont like onions....

Is it so that some people do Whole30 and in addition leave out the fodmaps too? Is that recomended? I dont think I can do that AS there will be nothing left to eat:(

My doctor actually recomended both the SIBO book and Whole30 but they are not the same..

discouraged today :(

It's possible to do a low-FODMAP Whole30, yes. (Or an AIP Whole30, or low-carb Whole30, etc.) It's just a matter of removing the foods that Whole30 considers to be compliant but which would NOT belong based on the other part of the dietary plan. Much of what's avoided or limited by the low-FODMAP diet is already avoided by Whole30, and that overlap can be helpful.

I'm not in any way a trained medical professional, just a girl with a search engine and a love of food... so I won't even begin to say what would or could work best for you personally. What I will say is that it's good that you're having this conversation with your doctor, and that Whole30 is a great place to start. You could always try doing Whole30 without onions (since you mentioned you suspect those treat you badly), and then see if you feel like you need to also pull back from fruits or green beans or whatever. It might even be worth asking your doc if they intend to have you do the more restrictive elimination, Whole30 plus low-FODMAP, or if they want you to try one and then the other.

Even if you do find that doing a low-FODMAP Whole30 is your best bet for the elimination phase, remember that it's only until you have a good testing ground to reintroduce foods and see what you can add back to your daily intake later on (and which ones that should be approached with caution). There are a ton of foods remaining after taking away the high-FODMAP ones, so you'll still be able to work things around.

Paleo Leap has a FODMAPS & Paleo page where they address the difference between FODMAP sensitivity and SIBO, as well as how they're similar (not to mention giving a wealth of info on the subject). They have a recipe index that can be filtered by low-FODMAP, but remember that since it's a Paleo site there are actually desserts and other stuff that shouldn't be done during Whole30.

Unbound Wellness might be a good place to look for some inspiration. Although low-FODMAP isn't specifically addressed, Michelle is a certified nutritionist and does have recipes categorized by AIP, Low Carb, Paleo, and Whole30.

The SIBO-specific diet is a bit more strict than Whole30, but looking over what should be avoided, it's still totally workable within the framework of a Whole30 (at least based on the food list I'm looking at right now). The hardest part would be avoiding the starchier vegetables like potatoes (white, colored, sweet), all starch powders (including arrowroot and tapioca), and so on... but even then, it does leave the ability to eat limited amounts of things like butternut squash.

Anyway, my point here is -- don't despair. It always takes some time to wrap our brains around a new way of eating, but it CAN be done, and the point is to get you healthy... and your diagnosis helps you know which direction to move in food-wise.