Sugar and reintroduction

shanbyrne

Am on day 50 of my whole 30 and feel great!  I felt i needed a bit more time before reintroducing foods to help ensure i had done a full reset.  Had a question on sugar.  I was religious about sugar during the last 50 days.  now that i want to continue with clean eating i have a question on food labels.  here is an example...bacon...there are some good brands that have no nitrates and list added sugar as 0% and overall 0% of daily allowance but list cane sugar as an ingredient.  my sense would be that it is ok to use these products given the very low amounts and not impact any sugar issues - ie it really isn't enough to call it reintroduction especially if you are completely avoiding products with added sugar.  is this a correct assumption.  

Sugar as an ingredient on bacon = added sugar, despite what the nutrition panel shows. The thing is that they can say there's 0% if there's under a certain amount (like half a percent or whatever). So the added sugar is there, there's just little enough of it for them to claim that it's not. In the case of bacon, the sugar is generally used in the curing process itself.

That said, you've completed your Whole30 and even bringing in small amounts of sugar at a time is a good reintroduction. In fact, I'd suggest NOT reintroducing sugar at a rate that you might've eaten prior to Whole30, because (if anything like my own consumption) you'd probably wind up in bed sick. My sugar reintro day included a teaspoon of honey with my morning tea, an all-natural dressing that included some kind of sugar (I forget) on my lunch salad, and an evening tea which included stevia leaf. I definitely felt the effect of having sugar in my diet again, and wound up cutting back for the following weeks while I slowly completed my reintroductions.

All that was just to say that if it's there, it's there, even if they say it doesn't affect the nutritional values. How your body interprets the presence of the sugar will be determined by your specific body, so the only way to know the effect is to try it. :) If you feel like you've reintroduced a small bit of sugar with no noticeable (or ill) effects and want to step it up a little, go for it... just know where you plan to stop, if you don't want to go beyond a certain point, and realize that you might get more than your usual sugar dose at times with the other things you reintroduce later if they're pre-packaged at all.

Archived