Help - Used the wrong flour

SelWhole30

Help! I made 10 Salmon cakes tonight and ate one of them only to discover AFTER that the flour was actually unbleached flour NOT almond flour. Do I have to start over? I'm on Day 3. I'm curious on how much that would effect me and if I actually have to start over. I did throw out the salmon cakes (mehh) but I did eat one before realizing it. There was a 1 cup in the whole mix meaning I had about 1/10 of the flour. 

Let me know thoughts on this! Thank you :) 

I discovered on day 4 of my first round that there were sulfites in the lemon juice I'd been using in my water. It was only a tiny amount, but because I was doing a Whole30 to establish food intolerances, and I really needed a completely clean slate to do that, I started over by tacking 4 extra days on before reintro. I just called it a Whole34! 

Really it's up to you, but if you're looking for the 'clean slate' before reintro, then it doesn't really matter if a slip was accidental or deliberate - our bodies will react the same. It's far less upsetting to restart when you're early on, as the extra days are so far away! By the time I got there, it was no big deal.

Thank you! I think looking at it as Whole33 is a great idea. And no matter what I am doing the reintroduction to the tee so I wouldn't even be eating grains until like day 39 anyway. I will simply tack on a few extra days and call it a day, I'd like to know if gluten affects me so that's the best bet. Thank you for giving me a way to look at it positively as opposed to saying Day 1 again lol. Important to note that I'm also a new non-smoker (day 4) so everything feels a bit off and negative in certain times. Focusing on Whole 30 has done a lot for that though! So again, thank you for the positive way to think about this! 

I was going to note something similar to Schrod, in terms of making sure you're establishing that baseline for reintroduction tests and that might mean it takes a little longer than 30 days, especially if there have been any hiccups along the way. I learned the hard way to not trust store-bought rotisserie chicken (at least not in my area) during a Whole30, and that I need to make a list of what I'm going to put in my build-a-bowl or salad type meals when I go out to eat, because my brain doesn't always equate "baby corn" as off-limits (despite having "corn" right there in the name of it)! I'm also one who prefers to look at it as extending a Whole30 rather than starting over, because starting over would kind of kill my mood ;) 

Doing this while also quitting smoking can be hard, I know. The nicotine only stays in your system a few days (it'd actually be gone by now), and all traces of it (including breakdown product) are gone within 10 days. Nicotine withdrawal is a different animal, because it isn't just about the physical addiction - it's very much a psychological one. The good news is that doing this during Whole30 is really a great thing, because Whole30 is already built to help you examine your relationship with foods and learn how to identify/avoid some triggers and even replace undesirable food habits with healthier ones. This means that you can use the same approach with quitting smoking... and instead of focusing on what you're NOT doing, focus instead on doing the thing you want to build into a good habit. It kills two birds with one stone and gives you a way to cope with any stress or anxiety that comes up due to not reaching for a smoke.

You can totally do this :) 

Archived