Snack and emergency food

LilliMarlene

I would like some tips on emergency food and snacks.. 

I hate olives and I dont like Jerky (dont know if there are any compliant kind here..).

Is all nuts (except peanuts) allowed? Paranuts too?

I used to make myself a healthy smoothie to cope with nighttime snakking.. it is with spinach, ginger, kiwi, lemon and avocado.. but I read that smoothies is not recomended.. 

Dont think we have the bars that have been mentioned.. I live in Scandinavia.

• Moderators

It looks like paranuts are Brazil nuts, and those are allowed. Nuts in general should be fairly limited, try to keep it to a small closed handful at a time and not every day.

Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied 4-5 hours, and you won't really need snacks.

If you're going to be out and think you might need something, pack up a mini meal to take with you, like hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks or celery, or even leftovers that you don't mind eating cold/room temperature. Most foods will keep for a little while, and you may be able to find insulated bags to help keep things cool longer, or thermos containers to keep soups or stews warm.

If you need something to leave at the office in case you forget your lunch, can you find canned tuna or salmon or other fish? 

For before bed, if you truly need something, try leftovers, or an egg or two, or some vegetables with some kind of dressing or dip.

• 1 month later...

How about Chomps sticks? I’m not sure if those are too close to jerky, as I know you mentioned you don’t like jerky. 

One thing that has been a lifesaver for me has been sliced deli turkey or chicken (compliant kinds, of course). They have a ton of protein, easy to grab as a quick snack, and can be paired with a piece of fruit or small portion of nuts. 

Archived