Sign in to follow this  
Eklutna

My Dinner at Zoe's

So I am happily into what I plan to be a "Whole90," and I'm glad to be, because I was a pretty sick puppy.  I've been almost completely compliant for 50+ days so far, my only problems being when eating out, which I'm fortunate enough to have to do very seldom.  We live in a very rural area, though, and the other night, my husband and I stopped off for a quick dinner at Zoe's Kitchen.  I'd heard that they are very supportive of the Whole30, and I asked at the counter for information about what they can provide.  The person behind the counter scrabbled around endlessly and announced she just couldn't find that information, so I did my best:  chicken kabobs, cauliflower rice bowl and green salad with tahini dressing.  Sounds pretty good, right?  Yet by the time we were headed home, I was starting to ache all over, my nose was running copiously, and I began to sneeze violently.  I went to bed in this condition, and it was a miserable night.  About one in the morning, I got up and looked at the list of allergens on the Zoe's site, and....sure enough:  both the kabobs and the cauliflower rice were listed as containing dairy.  WHAT?!  But Middle Eastern food is often marinated in yogurt, and who knows why the cauliflower rice (which was raw and completely tasteless) had dairy.  I resent this, and made it known to them, after which I received a HUGE list of questions to be answered.  

I belong to the Whole30 "After 50" group on Facebook, and someone pointed out that Zoe's chicken kabobs are listed as being compliant with the program.  So there is some discrepancy here that needs to be noted and, hopefully, corrected1685252016_ScreenShot2020-02-27at11_27_50AM.thumb.png.17d4bef9f4fcffc9cebdf0f744b73e48.png

Eklutna1022533053_ScreenShot2020-02-27at11_28_57AM.thumb.png.e40276805f6dbdbc91c357e237cf9639.png

Honestly, it's probably ghee. Because it's made from butter, dairy has to be listed as an allergen. 

Call the restaurant and ask for the ingredients. Tell them you had a reaction to something you ate and you need to know. 

Hm, they used to have a dedicated Whole30 menu that you can't access now on their site (https://zoeskitchen.com/livemed) -- I heard that it was being updated by one of the managers from my local store, but I would be really sad if the chicken was actually marinated with dairy (beyond ghee) because I've had lots of kabob platters with chicken, salmon, and shrimp -- I don't like cauliflower rice, so I've never ordered it, but I've gotten both their grilled and cold potato salads, grilled veggies, and Greek salad without cheese or pita and a few of the sauces that used to be listed. I will be more careful when I order to clarify no butter/dairy/sugar but usually when I asked once I get sick of going through the whole run down every time... thanks for the post! :)

On 5/7/2020 at 2:19 PM, mazzystarslight said:

Hm, they used to have a dedicated Whole30 menu that you can't access now on their site (https://zoeskitchen.com/livemed) -- I heard that it was being updated by one of the managers from my local store, but I would be really sad if the chicken was actually marinated with dairy (beyond ghee) because I've had lots of kabob platters with chicken, salmon, and shrimp -- I don't like cauliflower rice, so I've never ordered it, but I've gotten both their grilled and cold potato salads, grilled veggies, and Greek salad without cheese or pita and a few of the sauces that used to be listed. I will be more careful when I order to clarify no butter/dairy/sugar but usually when I asked once I get sick of going through the whole run down every time... thanks for the post! :)

Apparently they were bought out and slowly rolled back their Whole30 menu as they changed suppliers across the line :(

15 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Apparently they were bought out and slowly rolled back their Whole30 menu as they changed suppliers across the line :(

Nooooooooooooo, thanks for the info!