KatyR's first Whole30 - starting 1/7/13

katyroq

Day 1 (Monday, 1/7/13):

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs (I often have trouble eating breakfast, or waking up early enough to have time. I'm hoping this will change as I make the effort, but also as I sleep better and wake more rested!)

Lunch: Spinach salad with mushrooms, 2 hardboiled eggs, pine nuts, and home-made honey-mustard dressing (minus the honey, haha). Microwaved sweet potato (plain, too dry...)

Dinner: Tilapia, pan fried in olive oil with onions, garlic, and red peppers. Steamed broccoli with salt.

Snack:Dried prunes and sunflower seeds.

I felt pretty normal physically and mentally, though I was not as hungry (no snacks throughout the day!). Surprised myself by not eating much fruit, a staple in my diet. In the middle of the night I woke up with intestinal discomfort, but that may have been from eating a full day's worth after being sick Sunday.

Looks good! Try adding a little bit of ghee to your sweet potato - they definitely help me through the afternoon. I microwave them the night before, push a little pocket in each, then fill with ghee. The ghee will resolidify in the fridge, so just microwave the potato until it's melted again the next day.

Looks good! Try adding a little bit of ghee to your sweet potato - they definitely help me through the afternoon. I microwave them the night before, push a little pocket in each, then fill with ghee. The ghee will resolidify in the fridge, so just microwave the potato until it's melted again the next day.

That is genius!

What a great idea.

Day 2 (Tuesday, 1/8/13):

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, homemade sausage (found ground pork on sale last night, woo-hoo!)

Lunch: Spinach salad with mushrooms, pine nuts, and 2 hardboiled eggs. Butternut squash roasted with garlic powder, onion powder, & cayenne

Snack: Banana

Dinner: My new favorite...Cayenne-rubbed Chicken...with LOTS of spices! My avacados were not ripe yet, so I had a cold sweet potato (cooked but in the fridge) to offset the spicey-ness. Apple, carrots, and sunflower seeds because I still felt hungry. Or that I had not eaten enough (carbs).

Today I have felt a lot more hungry than I have the past few days. I actually felt pretty nauseous the first few days and though I didn't feel like I was eating enough, I wasn't hungry. Today, I'm HUNGRY and craving pretty much anything that I see. I am resisting, though, and snacking on sunflower seeds :)

My energy levels are pretty high today. Usually, I have NO energy when I get home from work (too hungry) so I whip up something to eat, and still have no energy at all after dinner. But today, I cooked/did laundry then ate and now I have enough energy to get up and fold my laundry then read a book until a show comes on! Truly amazing feeling!

Day 3 (Wed 1/9/13):

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, homemade sausage

Lunch: Spinach salad w/ mushrooms, 2 hardboiled eggs, olive oil dressing

Dinner: Cayenne chicken breast, roasted butternut squash

I was not hungry at all! I had packed squash for lunch but did not eat it. Each day it seems I've eaten less but felt fuller. My stomach feels full and is pushing out even though I didn't eat that much. I'm not sure what to make of this. I slept okay (usually I sleep very well!) and woke up with "hot flashes" during the middle of the night. Strange. Was hungry for the first time on Day 4 morning, but quickly became full with eating a small amount.

I haven't updated this in a few days. It's now Day 9.

In general, I am feeling much more energetic and my energy is much more stable (yay, no sugar highs/lows!).

Eating is getting easier as I did a lot of cooking on Saturday, and I'm learning what are quick/convenient foods besides eggs (which I ate about 20 of last week!). I roasted up a bunch of cauliflower which is delicious. Also, sweet potatoes take 4 minutes to cook in the microwave and taste delicious with coconut oil, salsa, and olives. I also made homemade mayo. I don't love it, but it does add a new consistency to my diet and a good source of fat. And it allows me to make one of my favorite lunches--smoked chicken salad with walnuts and grapes.

Oh--Saturday I was at a friend's birthday party. I was being good and snacking on grapes, but my friend is from another culture and there was a point where it would have been rude not to eat a few bites of cake. I didn't enjoy it at all, and my stomach was upset the next morning. Not sure what, but I must be sensitive to something...

Exercise is still improving. Friday was day 5 and the workout was rough. Yesterday (Day 8) it was much better, even with 20 degree temperatures! I had lots of layers on and stayed warm the whole time (Is Whole30 helping me keep warmer??? I hope so!). I also noticed that I had more energy after my workout, which considering the harsh conditions, I think is pretty remarkable.

Sleep has been hard. I have been having trouble falling asleep, though once I am asleep, I am sleeping better than I was the first week. I have also been waking up earlier, but feeling rested. Last night I went to bed around 10 but couldn't fall alseep until after midnight. I woke at 6:15 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I was so concerned with trying to get back to sleep for an hour or so that I didn't realize that I think I was rested, even after only 6 hours!

So there's my update!

Archived