Monday April 20, 2020 start date- anyone else?

Laurenacc

I should say, I'm THINKING of having this be my start date. I've had this in my calendar as my future start date for the past 6 months...but then this pandemic hit and now I'm concerned it will be difficult to get my shopping done at Whole Foods- since it's not near my apartment. I live in NYC and I'm not taking public transportation right now for the obvious reasons. My local grocery store doesn't carry a lot of the Whole30 compliant brands / items I use with many of my recipes (this will be my 4th Whole30, I do one every 6 months). Plus, I don't trust the meat at my local grocery store as much as I trust the meat sold at Whole Foods. However, when I went to Whole Foods a week or 2 after our shelter at home orders, there was NO MEAT at Whole Foods...which makes me think even more that this isn't exactly the best time to be strict with my food purchases. It kind of makes me feel like I should just stock up on whatever I can get and maybe hold off on Whole30 until things have gone a bit more back to normal...

Anyone else out there currently doing Whole30 and have any input? Have you had a hard time getting some necessary items for certain recipes you were hoping to make? 

I’m cheating haha.  Started April 1st but apparently there’s a Whole Foods / Snapkitchen partnership and I have simply been doing the subscription meal service and picking W30 compliant meals off their menu.  That plus an occasional Chipotle lifestyle bowl for additional sodium and calories, both of which I apparently need right now, and the logistics at least have been smooth.

They did recently reduce their menu selection and some items are running out (though it may just be first come first serve and I got there much later today than I usually do and the item had Avocado in the name /eyeroll) so I suspect we are finally starting to see some impact in the food supply at least for certain items.

From the news though many consumers were being more cost conscious rather than health conscious right now: namely there was an uptick in cheaper food and discount grocers were seeing more business.  The counterpoint to that is Whole Foods is probably getting somewhat less business, though with the Amazon delivery services that might not be true.

Actually that’s what I might do if I were in NYC and worried about public transit (rightfully from what I hear): Whole Foods vis a vis Amazon has a delivery service, probably somewhat more expensive for delivery but that might not only tell you what’s available it might be a good solution too.

Also I think there’s a big push for #Whole30AtHome starting tomorrow according to the main web page, if you have time might try pushing up the date to what I assume will be a flock of others though sounds like you are fine for motivation being experienced ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Revelate- how's your whole30 going? Are you on Day 20 now? Amazing! Sorry it looks me a while to respond! I didn't start on 4/12, but I DID start today!

I ended up going to a different Whole Foods location than my previous trip a month ago on Saturday (braved mass transit and took a bus, stayed far away from the only 3 other people on it) and waited outside in a line in the rain for maybe about 10 minutes total. This Whole Foods had literally everything I needed from my list EXCEPT 1 item...which I can make from scratch, I just usually avoid doing that since it's time consuming- but I have all the time in the world now :lol:

So I prepped my breakfasts and lunches for the week yesterday and I'll make my dinners for the week tonight. Sooo thrilled I was able to find everything I needed and was able to start on time like I had planned. Now I just hope I'm consistently able to find everything I need every week for the next 6 weeks :unsure:

I guess no one else decided to start today if a lot of people started last week, so I may be the only one posting in my own forum, hah!

Hey Lauren,

It’s actually going really well other than I can’t seem to retain water for enough hours to get me though the night.

Something to trouble-shoot but next 10 days are going to be hell moving again and a bunch of work to get done between now and then.

Day 20 is right, been hitting milestones on the 30 day calendar late, maybe I get that Tiger Blood surge around Day 24-25... I am dragging a little bit but not diet related, work, stress, blah.

This forum is pretty slow, there are some boards which are busier but unfortunately isn’t much traffic in general.  

To be fair the forum I was a moderator on for the better part of a decade is down in terms of traffic too, forums may just be going away on the Internet.

Anyway grats on the win at Whole Foods; I am still cheating with the meal service and supplementing with takeout from a few local restaurants that are easy to sub a few items to get it into compliance on... I think things will start opening up in terms of being able to find food, like you I am going to go for at least two extra weeks.  Best of luck if we only inconsistently see each other here going forward ;)!

Hi, I don't live in America but I understand that you will be concerned about being able to get the correct foods in order to follow this way of eating.  Does Whole Foods deliver???  It might be that they didn't, but do now, because theres a need (and money to be made......).

On 4/23/2020 at 5:28 PM, Studentoflife81 said:

Congrats @Revelate you’re almost there!!!

Yeah at times it’s been a slog and now working 2.5 jobs it’s even more awkward but I can’t imagine how I would be feeling if I were still eating the junk I was before.  On the whole feeling pretty sane and still getting things done though been exhausted this week.

I started April 26.  A little behind you, but there aren't a lot of threads going for sure.  How are you doing?  Still plugging along?  I did my first whole 30 back in 2016 maybe?  I've been mostly gluten free since, but I am having some skin issues and want to have a fresh clean slate to start doing some testing with.  I'm going to see a naturopath who recommended whole 30 to a friend right after the 30 days, and follow her lead on reintroduction and testing and establishing a health record beyond the traditional doctor.  That is added momentum to push forward as I have already scheduled the appointment.  

Getting food isn't a problem here, at least not more than normal.  We are more rural so it's harder to find some things all the time, but supplies are in average stock around me.  I don't mind eating many of the same foods day after day.  Made a compliant soup Monday, have had it for each dinner this week.  Will make something else tomorrow and eat for several days etc.  My family isn't doing it with me, but my husband is working towards better health in His own way and there are far fewer temptations at home.  I also was mostly gluten free since that first whole 30 and dairy free for 2 weeks before this one, so my reactions are very minimal.  I feel quite resolved and eager to start feeling better and have my skin healthy!  

On 4/20/2020 at 8:12 PM, Revelate said:

Hey Lauren,

It’s actually going really well other than I can’t seem to retain water for enough hours to get me though the night.

Something to trouble-shoot but next 10 days are going to be hell moving again and a bunch of work to get done between now and then.

Day 20 is right, been hitting milestones on the 30 day calendar late, maybe I get that Tiger Blood surge around Day 24-25... I am dragging a little bit but not diet related, work, stress, blah.

This forum is pretty slow, there are some boards which are busier but unfortunately isn’t much traffic in general.  

To be fair the forum I was a moderator on for the better part of a decade is down in terms of traffic too, forums may just be going away on the Internet.

Anyway grats on the win at Whole Foods; I am still cheating with the meal service and supplementing with takeout from a few local restaurants that are easy to sub a few items to get it into compliance on... I think things will start opening up in terms of being able to find food, like you I am going to go for at least two extra weeks.  Best of luck if we only inconsistently see each other here going forward ;)!

Congrats Revelate! You must be done with your initial 30 days! Day 34, right? How are you feeling? Are you reintroducing items now?

On 4/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, Rindaloo said:

Hi, I don't live in America but I understand that you will be concerned about being able to get the correct foods in order to follow this way of eating.  Does Whole Foods deliver???  It might be that they didn't, but do now, because theres a need (and money to be made......).

Hi Rindaloo-

I can get delivery from Whole Foods through Amazon Prime Now, however- most of their time slots have been completely full whenever I've checked. My husband lucked out once and was able to order a bunch of broccoli, tuna steaks, and some compliant whole30 turkey bacon. So that was a win! But I've mostly just trekked on the bus to Whole Foods. I've only had to go 3 times so far and I got enough stuff this Saturday to hopefully hold me for 2 weeks before I needs to go there again. As long as I make a trip to my local grocery store before then, I should be set for this and next week at least :)

On 4/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, Studentoflife81 said:

Hi @Laurenacc! I started 4/19/2020.  I decided to join this forum because I’m doing this one alone which is makes it so much harder! You definitely need accountability partners to make it all the way through 

Studentoflife81, welcome! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply...I had in my head that no one else was going to be joining this forum. Glad I checked! How is it going for you??? I guess it's Day 16, yes? Woohoo- go you!!!

On 4/30/2020 at 1:07 PM, rachelmaria33 said:

I started April 26.  A little behind you, but there aren't a lot of threads going for sure.  How are you doing?  Still plugging along?  I did my first whole 30 back in 2016 maybe?  I've been mostly gluten free since, but I am having some skin issues and want to have a fresh clean slate to start doing some testing with.  I'm going to see a naturopath who recommended whole 30 to a friend right after the 30 days, and follow her lead on reintroduction and testing and establishing a health record beyond the traditional doctor.  That is added momentum to push forward as I have already scheduled the appointment.  

Getting food isn't a problem here, at least not more than normal.  We are more rural so it's harder to find some things all the time, but supplies are in average stock around me.  I don't mind eating many of the same foods day after day.  Made a compliant soup Monday, have had it for each dinner this week.  Will make something else tomorrow and eat for several days etc.  My family isn't doing it with me, but my husband is working towards better health in His own way and there are far fewer temptations at home.  I also was mostly gluten free since that first whole 30 and dairy free for 2 weeks before this one, so my reactions are very minimal.  I feel quite resolved and eager to start feeling better and have my skin healthy!  

rachelmaria33, welcome! Glad to have you here :) April 26 start date must mean you are completing Day 9 now, right? How's it going for you? I started on 4/20 so I'm wrapping up Day 15 and yes- still plugging along! I'm with you on the cutting out gluten. Well, I don't always do it but given an option- I usually select gluten-free items. I noticed how much stomach pain I had during my very first whole30 when I tried to reintro grains with gluten. I was very surprised! Very hard for me to be dairy-free when I'm not doing whole30 because I love ALLLLL the cheeses, hehe!

Yes, pressing on!  I actually scheduled an appointment with a naturopath who does nutrition counseling (put a friend of mine on a whole 30!) for day 32, so I have even more motivation to stay the course.  It actually hasn't been hard this time.  I guess I'm resolved to find real answers and healing and that more easily outweighs junk food.  My problem area with food would be sweets and when I cut out sugar completely I get over my cravings pretty quickly.  I also really enjoy fruit and instead of waking the sugar dragon it actually keeps me from going there.  I did try a couple of flavors of rx bars that are compliant with poor results however.  I was starving within an hour!  - So not for me, or not frequently.  Maybe in the future in place of a Toblerone in my Christmas stocking :)  

I'll never forget reintroducing cheese on my first go-round.  It was like eating the smell of mold.  UGH!  I had a dairy intolerance as a baby though and supposedly outgrew it in my toddler years.  I haven't drunk milk since I was in high school - just don't like it.  Or maybe, I didn't like the way it made me feel - but I didn't have the right thought process to formulate that?  Who knows.  Over the years since my first W30 I have added back in cheese occasionally.  I love a good corn tortilla quesadilla, and occasionally yogurt, but that's about it for dairy.  Oh, and cheesecake.  Yes, cheesecake.  Every year on our anniversary I get a huge slice of cheesecake and eat the whole. dang. thing.  LOL.  

Did you have a reaction to cheese, or is it more of a decision to fill your plate with fresher food?  

Glad you are still here and succeeding!  Way to go!

Rachel

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 1:35 AM, Laurenacc said:

Hi Rindaloo-

I can get delivery from Whole Foods through Amazon Prime Now, however- most of their time slots have been completely full whenever I've checked. My husband lucked out once and was able to order a bunch of broccoli, tuna steaks, and some compliant whole30 turkey bacon. So that was a win! But I've mostly just trekked on the bus to Whole Foods. I've only had to go 3 times so far and I got enough stuff this Saturday to hopefully hold me for 2 weeks before I needs to go there again. As long as I make a trip to my local grocery store before then, I should be set for this and next week at least :)

We bought a shopping bag with wheels on.  I always associate them with old people. Now I know why they are so popular!  I also realise that at 66 I am one of those old people ROFL!!!  I am glad you managed to get some foods to be able to cook that are compliant.  Its a lovely feeling when you've managed to get in the foods you need for a few days.  And I am enjoying the recipes.  Tonight I am trying the 'Shrimp and Sweet Potato Noodle' recipe from this site.   :P

On 5/4/2020 at 5:32 PM, Laurenacc said:

Congrats Revelate! You must be done with your initial 30 days! Day 34, right? How are you feeling? Are you reintroducing items now?

Sadly no, things fell apart on me when the home (and then appliance, no refrigerator for two weeks makes it hard) plans went sideways when in the middle of a food desert anyway.  Got to day 28 before falling of the wagon.

I've started doing a 90% W30 compliant plan for now, have needed too many pick-me-ups recently working 90ish hours a week, just not the right time to be slavish to it but I'm going through the physiological sugar withdrawal again now, had a major event cancelled this week so I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on my sleep and just marking time off on the other major gig haha.

I'm sort of thinking just go for it but in trying to build long-term habits I know I'm going to have to get back out to LA and move all the crap from my old place and sell it, and that just isn't conducive to this sort of diet.  I realized having gotten most of the way through it that it's pretty difficult if you're working long hours without a routine, and when one is all over the map, literally, it's just not truly feasible.

I hope everything went well with yours and everyone else's!

Archived