Constantly hungry

I've done whole 30 before, so it's not new to me.  I'm day 4, and I'm always hungry.  I don't think it's cravings, but it's possible.  I just finished a breakfast of 4 thin slices of roasted sweet potato (less than 1/2 a potato), topped with a total of 1/2 an avocado, 4 eggs, and a cup of sauteed mushrooms.   Fat, protein, starchy carb.  Starving.   I am breastfeeding, but I don't think it's that. 

How can I tell if I'm legitimately hungry, or craving?  I thought I've been hungry because I've barely had any starchy carbs, so I started adding some.  Still hungry.  When I did AIP, I needed a sweet potato several times a day, so maybe I'm just not getting enough of those complex carbs??  What else is there besides potato and sweet potato that can fill that void?

Thanks!

I'm sure a moderator will chime in about special considerations for breastfeeding mothers, but here are some general comments. 

First, I'll say that I think having a mindset of experimentation is helpful. This is 30 days for you to figure out what works for you and what doesn't. So mix it up. Try new things. Try eating at the upper end of the meal template and then try a little less. Try eating lots and lots of starchy carbs and then less. Try eating the whole avocado. See how each makes you feel. And learn to trust yourself. Your body knows. Why not try eating the entire sweet potato and the entire avocado for your breakfast and see how that makes you feel?

A good test to gauge whether you're hungry or just craving something is to ask yourself whether you would eat plain fish and steamed vegetables. If you would eat that, you're probably hungry. If that isn't appealing at all, maybe you're just having a craving and perhaps fill that void with a new, healthy habit. 

I'll also say that I tend to eat a whole lot of starchy carbs when I do Whole30. Like, sometimes I'll have them with every single meal. I'm pretty active and that's what my body wants. Here are some additional options for starchy carbs: 

Also, here are two of my all-time favorite recipes for consuming potatoes and sweet potatoes: 

Best wishes to you! 

Archived