Jessica's 1st Whole30; begun 1/2/13

Jessica M.

Day 23!

Hey, I have some energy today, and less brain fog.

a) 22+ days w/o sugar and all messing with me plus B) my refills finally came in the mail on Tuesday (antianxiety and antidepressant... had run out last week and the stupid prescriptions took forever via mail order).

Breakfast: while packing my lunch, my son's lunch, feeding the kids breakfast, signing off on school work... so still not sitting down to eat, but didn't eat in my car... leftover salmon/sweet potato/egg hash/failed patty thing and a few bites of the pulled pork I was putting in my lunch. Also, coffee with coconut milk. Not awful. Not good either.

My 8 year old daughter asks,"Mommy, when do you go back to eating normal food?" I say to her,"I AM eating NORMAL foods, just less of the stuff that can be bad for us when we eat it all the time." She is asking b/c she wants me to take her for sushi someplace her Aunt took her a few months ago. "We'll go for sushi soon, I can just get something without rice."-- this satisfied her. ;) My son on the other hand wanted the regular junk syrup for his waffles (gone) and rejected REAL maple syrup. He didn't even taste it, he balks at any slight change. He's 10 you would think he's 2. I told him I have been feeling worse and worse about allowing us all to eat junky foods and am cleaning it up a bit at a time (cue roll of eyes). He was protesting and I say,"Put it this way. THIS syrup comes from a tree. THAT syrup is made in a chemical factory." DH goes,"Oh, SNAP!" as he does when I get in a good line on the kids. Hee hee.

Lunch: Last of my sautéed veggies with some of the pulled pork on top. Tired of pork but it needed to be used. Half is in the freezer and with pay day not till next Friday it may need to come out mid-week. 2 Hunks of cantaloupe also.

Dinner Later... the chicken sausage I didn't want last night which I tossed in with sautéed peppers and onions and shredded sweet potato. Hubby liked that last night. He could do Whole30 if he could not do it at breakfast. ;-) Probably some fruit too. Am usually hungry by the time I am heating up diner.

Sent in my veggie order from the new co-op lady. No fruit basket this week. Was happy last week but need to save a couple of bucks. :angry:

post-11989-0-84108500-1359086252_thumb.j

Actual dinner: some orange as I cooked and in my seltzer water (blech). pepper-onion-shredded sweet potato mixture with chicken-spinach sausage. Snow peas cooked in clarified butter (bit too much, but very tasty of course). 1/4 of an avocado. Yum.

Today was easier, though I am back to chewing my lips/cheeks. Have to kill the chewing instinct.

Ate a lot yesterday and today but it was all compliant stuff. Busy busy. Took my daughter to dance, a "banana splits" party at dance later in the day (once a year for the girls who can split w both legs and do a straddle), then around the 'hood selling girl scout cookies. Hubby took the son to his soccer game (he coaches, too), then home to wash up and back out to a birthday party. Was a divide and conquer kind of day.

Breakfast-- cooked 3 eggs with a whole bunch of broccoli slaw and some minced red pepper in some clarified butter. Looked like too much so I put half away. Had already eaten 4 brazil nuts and started on my coffee with coconut milk. A banana.

Lunch-- not many protein options in the house. 2 hardboiled eggs plus a banana, half a mango, 4 strawberries, handful of brazil nuts. Apparently too much fruit. It got me through the banana split party and out yet again, but when we were out selling cookies I was already hungry and it had only been like 3 hours since we ate lunch. DD had pretty much the same lunch, just a cheese stick instead of the nuts. She loves fruit and eggs.

Afternoon... famished. There are too many bananas all getting yellow at the same time so I have another banana. Banana filled day. I was not looking for something sweet though, honestly. Looking for something filling, compiant, and needing to be used.

Dinner... hamburger plus spinach and green beans sautéed in a bit of clarified butter. Small sweet potato. Family was having french bread. Sigh. I can pass but it did smell good. Trying to leave it there.

Day 25 done and in the books. Yay, me! I decided Friday I am going to try to take this to 45 days instead of 30. That will take me past Valentine's day binge territory, and past self pity cake on my mom's birthday (Feb. 13; she died of lung cancer when I was 18).

If I can make it to 45 days I will so something nice for myself like supplies for the garden I never got around to last spring (veggies), or a cook book from one of the paleo bloggers I am now following. ;-)

post-11989-0-13319900-1359257186_thumb.j

This week's veggie haul, just $10. Big cabbage, 3 ears of corn, lettuce, couple of cups of sugar snap peas, 8 bananas, 4 oranges, 3 super sweet red peppers, pint of cherry tomatoes.

post-11989-0-34509500-1359257197_thumb.j

My extras, another $10. Spinach, 2 pints of strawberries, 2 avocados, 2 mangoes, bag of broccoli slaw (woodier than the one from the grocery store, not sure I love it.)

Liking my new co-op! Don't have control over what's at the market that day, good looking, well priced. So far the woman who does it has picked out nice stuff. I don't have to go shop and it's cheaper than the grocery store. Yay!

Had not used the corn from last week yet. DD and DH had some with dinner. They'll eat it.

Could use some squash or sweet potatoes though, last week's basket had some sweet potatoes. Oh well... can get those separately.

Bought a food processor this week and used my mandolin slicer for the first time (got it for my b-day back in May!). Sliced my thumb. Nice. Typically me.

Hi Jessica- I really enjoyed reading through your posts. Have you ever tried Dunkin Donuts coffee? I too am drinking my coffee black and it is the only one that I have tried so far that is not so dang bitter.

I am on board with your not stopping at 30 plan… I don't have any idea how I will feel at 30 days and I am pretty positive I will be better off pushing through.

Best of luck and peace be with you!

Thanks! Best of luck to you, too! I love DD coffee but have never had it black and unsweetened! LOL. The owners at my job just put out a Keurig for us to use, may have to give it a shot (though went in with some others on an order of Caribou, heard that was good coffee). I've been told to do french press or cold brew but haven't had the chance yet.

Took me about 11 days to throw the quart of Sugar Free Hazelnut Coffee Mate away, barely used. ;-) I think I was letting it live in the back of the fridge in case I freaked out and quit the W30 thing.

Day 26 in the books.

Breakfast: 5 Brazil nuts an a banana while I fed the kids then the leftover egg-and-broccoli-slaw thing Fromm yesterday and 2 mugs of coffee with coconut milk (thick from the fridge it is growing on me).

Lunch: didn't want to cook but made a salad that turned out very yummy. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, basalmic, olive oil, green olives, avocado, 5 oz vacuum pack pink salmon. I don't love the canned/packaged salmon but with a bite of avocado it was good. I think the good avocados I've been getting make up for the lack of cheese. Creamy and yummy.

Dinner: lemon pepper tilapia cooked in clarified butter. Green beans (not ideal but needed to be used). Baked butternut squash. Hubby is shocking me with his like for butternut squash if I get it crispy. He did put his fish on tortillas. He can. At least he ate some fish. Had an orange after. And two strawberries.

After walking the dogs and tucking in the kids I wanted nuts and bananas so I had avocado instead (maybe 1/3). Thought about having the last piece of fish from dinner but didn't. The avocado is just on the verge of getting too ripe so it was like butter. Next week I will probably start trying to reign in the fats, but this 30 days has been wildly different for me so I think I needed something to replace all the other stuff.

I think I can go to 45 days. I need to keep educating myself and decide if I can eat this way forever (paleo or primal, not whole 30) or if I just want to clean up our foods but keep some grains and some dairy. Right now this works for me so I will keep it going. My metabolism feels broken and needs more than a couple of weeks of dabbling. I need to hive this more time.

An worried about upcoming deadlines, work trip, if my Odyssey of the Mind team goes to State finals (looks bad now but I said that last year and they took first place regionally)... All mean stress and bad food choices for me. But those are March/April and January is busy but stress free enough to have meal prep time at home. Actually, Feb may get crazy too. Things are ramping up at work.

Might have to plan on springing for some emergency Paleo Kits for the away trips. Otherwise the buffet food or whatever may be too easy and tempting.

Yesterday my son wondered what the cow's name was that our hamburgers came from. I told him it probably came from a place with too many cows to name and it probably had a number. Wahh. Learning hurts. It's hurting my head and heart and can't be unlearned. And he takes stuff like this to heart so he will probably eat even less if I talk too much! I already can't get this kid to eat. He came up with a number for Ms. Cow, I forget. But I was like," thank you, cow number [47] for giving us protein to nourish our bodies. We appreciate your gift" good for the moment. He's ten, so it'll come back around. :-(. He doesn't worry about chicken nuggets! He likes those! Haha.

I've been breaking rules again... I weighed myself. Down 7 lbs. That makes me feel like I can keep this thing going past 30 days. It's JUST starting to work!

Day 27 today. I am kinda impressed with myself. ^_^

Breakfast: 1/2 of this custard thing I baked in a pie plate last night: 4 eggs, 1/3 can of coconut milk, mashed cooked butternut squash (About 1C?), salt, pepper, dash of cinnamon. It wasn't too bad. Might be better with a sweeter squash than I had. So, half of that today, half for tomorrow. Black coffee after I got to work. Mmmmmm (still no).

Lunch: Made a big pot of soupy stewy stuff yesterday... veggie and chicken stock, a cabbage, a shallot (all I had in the onion family), carrots, celery, spices, butternut squash (had a big one, can you tell?), then a whole bunch of chicken. Had a couple of cups of this stuff and about 1/3 of an avocado.

Afternoon, more black coffee b/c I am so fuzzy. I hope I am not coming down with the cold/sinus infection both my kids have had. Ugh.

Later... not quite sure. Have sausage there hubby bought, need to check if there are ingredients. Defrosted chicken. May coat with coconut and fry that up. Have some sugar snap peas I can steam. Maybe bake a plantain. We'll see.

So sleepy though. Ugh.

Oh man, I overrate. I was sleepy and headachey all day, when I finally for home I had a handful of brazil nuts (too many!) and a small piece of fish left from last night, then chicken with coconut coating and broccoli with clarified butter and 5 strawberries, and a splash of OJ in my seltzer. Too full. Still can't regulate myself. Sould have had a bit more lunch I guess.

Day 28.

Having an emotionally/financially bad day. Makes me feel like I am not feeling so awesome to be going without my one guaranteed comfort (food). This is crazy. I know. I don't want to undo 27 days of good eating for a stressful day. :-(

Part of me just wants soda and French fries and cookies. That sucks.

Tonight I have a "Google Hangout" date with three far off girlfriends, so that'll make me feel better. What will REALLY make me feel better if winning the lotto, or barring that, payday.

Breakfast: had a bigger one today to not be so sleepy. The other half of my egg-coconut milk-squash thing from yesterday, a bit of chicken. From dinner, sosonut milk in my coffee, a few baby carrots.

Lunch: had a banana about an hour before the rest b/c couldn't stop work. Stew-soup thing I had yesterday plus red pepper with snack size Wholly Guacamole.

Dinner... Don't know yet. Something with frozen shrimp I think.

Day 27 & today 28, struggling as well exhausted & headache (migraine) I feel like I am going backwards as I am coming to an end of the Whole 30. I noticed my GI issues were acting up a few days ago too. I am hoping things will get better.

Hang in there :)

2 days to go!

Thanks, Allicen. Hopefully we'll see some good results soon!

Day 29.

Breakfast: 1/2 mango and 1/2 banana while feeding the kids. 3 HB eggs and coffee with coconut milk on my drive to work.

Lunch will be: the same stew-soup I have been eating plus baby carrots and snack size Wholly Guacamole.

Dinner... Something with the ground beef I am defrosting.

Less blah than yesterday, but still blah.

Dinner: chopped beef cooked with a red pepper and sliced olives and diced tomatoes over lettuce/cucumber salad and topped with 1/2 avocado and a bit of olive oil on the lettuce and cucumber.

Afternoon I had some black coffee. We got a Keurig at work and I was testing out the coffee I got. I think I got too dark a roast, it is real bitter. Well, that's $14 worth of coffee so it'll be bitter coffee for a couple of weeks. ;-)

Archived