Take Advantage

MadyVanilla

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to catch up on others' logs, trying to find my place back here.  I love reading everyone's stories and journeys.  So many of us have similar struggles...I learn so much from my fellow W30ers.  

I made a good choice for breakfast this morning - eggs with banana scrambled in olive oil.  And I just started a pot of water to poach chicken in order to make my old standby of chicken salad.  It helps me to gear up to start, rather than to jump right in.  Thursday is the day.  

I walked the dog first thing-one of my previous healthy habits that went by the wayside.  I made my list of things to do today, slowly working through it.  

Why do I slip so easily?  Such simple things, a daily list, a healthy breakfast, a morning walk...but they give me a sense of accomplishment and wellbeing.  

It feels so good to be taking steps in the right direction once again.  

On 10/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, MadyVanilla said:

Returning to a greater than full work load, virtual school, was really hard.  Exhausting.  There were no brain cells left at the end of the day...did a day really even ever end?  Looking back, it was such a nebulous blur.  The skills that I had really worked on - journaling, walking, yoga, talking to a person every day, healthy eating habits...I could not sustain those things that I had developed to help me feel better and manage stress.  What good are they if I immediately fall back to old, unhealthy, maladaptive habits when life gets tough?  And I did so almost gleefully-here, finally an excuse to eat a potato chip sandwich for dinner!  Here, another excuse to put doughnuts and Naan in my Instacart order!  And one more excuse to collapse onto the couch and scroll through social media rather than do yoga (restorative, yin yoga - it's NOT EVEN hard)!

I am SO CHEERING YOU ON RIGHT NOW! When I started working from home I felt EXHAUSTED and I wasn't really sure why. The day was more or less the same, the biggest differences being that I was doing everything over the phone and video. I HATE THE PHONE SO BAD, so I just figured it was the talking on the phone that was wearing me out. I quickly learned it was so much more than that. I felt like I had to be super productive every single minute of the work day. When we were in the office it wasn't like that. People took breaks and chatted with each other and ran to the coffee shop, so there was absolutely no expectation that I be even MORE productive than I was in the office. 

That was also about the time I started setting very strict start and end times. If it's not inside my work hours, it doesn't get my attention. Period. I also started making a point to get away from my computer for a lunch break and at least one other break every. single. day. No exceptions. That has helped A LOT. I'm encouraged that this is part of your plan. I think it will help your mental health a LOT. 

You totally got this! I hope your bike ride was amazing and I'm so excited for you to start killing this. :wub:

14 hours ago, decker_bear said:

That was also about the time I started setting very strict start and end times. If it's not inside my work hours, it doesn't get my attention. Period. I also started making a point to get away from my computer for a lunch break and at least one other break every. single. day. No exceptions. That has helped A LOT. I'm encouraged that this is part of your plan. I think it will help your mental health a LOT. 

I need to do this next-my first step toward normalcy was to turn off my email notifications on my phone at the end of the workday.  I'm moving toward ending at my normal time, just not there yet.  And also working toward the mandatory lunch break, which is more likely to happen when I write a daily schedule.  Thank you so much for the encouragement!!  You are exactly right, we used to take lots of mini-breaks all day long, now it feels like I must be working every minute.  That's good food for thought.  Plus, I also hate having to talk on the phone!  :lol:

In all honesty, the reason I wasn't planning to start until tomorrow was that I had a pint of Ben & Jerry's Pistachio ice cream in the freezer that I wanted to finish.  Well, I finished it last night :wacko:.  I was also planning on making beef stroganoff for dinner tonight, which I can make compliant, but it's so much better with sour cream...I'll think on that as the day goes by.  Regardless, I'm definitely in the mindset to start my next W30.  

I'm going to shoot for compliant M1 and M2 again today.  I've taken the dog for the wake-up walk and written up my daily schedule. Today's plan includes making my menu for the week, completing my produce pick-up order for Saturday, and doing at least a short yoga session.  

8 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

You are exactly right, we used to take lots of mini-breaks all day long, now it feels like I must be working every minute.  That's good food for thought.  Plus, I also hate having to talk on the phone!  :lol:

I know a few crazy people who enjoy talking on the phone, but I am for sure not one of them! haha! 

Having a written schedule is a GREAT idea!! I find I do better with more flexibility, but solid start and end times are really helpful. You're gonna rock it!! 

Off and running with day 1....

And I have a headache.  I was thinking this is ridiculous, it's literally "in my head" because I started today.  But then I remembered I had a soft start two days ago, and 4 of my last 6 meals have been compliant.  So maybe it is a carb-fluish headache.  I only realized this after thinking about walking this morning - this was the first time in ages that I was able to walk a mile without beginning to feel achy.  I chalked that up to the immediate benefits of reducing inflammation by making a few small diet changes.  This just speaks to how terrible my diet had gotten.  It was bad.  I tend to retain a lot of water when I eat too many carbs and I've definitely seen a reduction in puffiness over the last few days.  This is good news for me, but also exactly why I have such a hard time staying healthy.  I can balance mostly compliant choices with a few high-sugar, processed items and live relatively well.  But I can't stay in that balance - I jump off the deep end.  My goal is to be able to balance.  I actually was doing better with that then I ever have before until mid-September.  Two steps forward!  

M1-compliant ham, asparagus, 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil topped with compliant dijon mustard

M2-chicken salad made with homemade avocado oil mayo and  mashed avocado. I thought I had bok choy to chop into the salad, but it had gone bad.  Another side effect of poor diet, too many vegetables to throw away.  

M3-beef tips and broccoli, sweet potato with ghee

Evening snack- plain hot tea

I have a free hour and I might try to take a nap.  If I get hungry this afternoon, I'll eat an apple with almond butter.  I don't eat a lot of fruit, but apples are in season here right now.  

I've already walked a mile and a half this morning, plan to do another this afternoon.  Plus yoga.  All is good, if I could just get rid of the headache! 

19 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

Another side effect of poor diet, too many vegetables to throw away. 

Oh my gosh, I know, right??? I had to toss out some veggies yesterday that I hadn't eaten up because I was doing reintro. UGH that was painful! 

You're doing awesome! Great Day 1! And just think, if you're getting the early on side effects out of the way now, maybe you'll get that Tiger's Blood early on, too. B) I went through the same thing - I eased in, and then I got some of the yucky side effects on the first day. Great NSVs with the inflammation, too. :wub:

On 4/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, MadyVanilla said:

I've been working at home since March 16th due to Covid-19.

I've been furloughed since then. I am finishing my last ten days of Whole30 before reintroduction and just reading through what you said was hard will be a great warning to me. I started Whole30 because of inflammation and digestive issues and they have eased some but I know I will be doing a Whole45 in January then a Whole60 in March. 

Glad to see you were able to control many of your health problems through Whole30. Love that you were able to see the culprits of weight gain right away. 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, MadyVanilla said:

I love reading everyone's stories and journeys.  So many of us have similar struggles...I learn so much from my fellow W30ers.  

Me too. I appreciate everyone who journals. I've been away because I was on vacation and was so happy that the activities we planned turned out so well and kept my mind off of food. I really didn't have as much problem with Whole30 while on vacation as I do while at home. Since being furloughed I have tried my best to get out of the house because when I am home I think about food. Even thinking about healthy food and making food plans is a little bit to obsessive for me. It just makes me look to the next meal instead of eating to refuel because I have had a full day.

I added two Meals on Wheels routes and take food and drink to the homeless in a park near me and hike to keep myself away from food. I was trying to walk everyday and it hasn't worked since I returned but I also got Lebert equalizer bars to help myself with exercise goals. 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:28 PM, decker_bear said:

I felt like I had to be super productive every single minute of the work day. When we were in the office it wasn't like that.

You and my husband both. I have to constantly remind him that he is pushing himself too hard. The harder he pushes the more they expect of him and the more stressed he becomes, deciding he must do more. I think it also is because home is work and work is home and it is hard to get away. Separating himself from the stresses at work is so very hard. I have to go in there and re-focus him every once in awhile. Our cat used to spend time curled up in there beside him but his stress levels are such that she hardly ever heads to the office anymore. 

67095155_2376459995942425_4902251392204275712_o.jpg

2 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

I only realized this after thinking about walking this morning - this was the first time in ages that I was able to walk a mile without beginning to feel achy.  I chalked that up to the immediate benefits of reducing inflammation by making a few small diet changes. 

I really am hopeful about this and good for you. What happens to me is I begin an activity and do great until inflammation hits then I just feel so bad for so long that by the time I feel good enough to start again it is like starting all over again. This is one reason for the equalizer bars. It told myself that I can do a few every time I see them. We'll see. 

18 hours ago, Jennifer Jensen said:

I really am hopeful about this and good for you. What happens to me is I begin an activity and do great until inflammation hits then I just feel so bad for so long that by the time I feel good enough to start again it is like starting all over again. This is one reason for the equalizer bars. It told myself that I can do a few every time I see them. We'll see. 

Me, too.  I really do feel better in my body when I'm not moving much, because then I'm not dealing with the achiness from my bones rubbing together (osteoarthritis).  Except that when I am exercising regularly and eating well, I can move more easily.  I can get up from a chair and walk without having to wait for everything to loosen first and I can walk up and down stairs like a normal person.  Reducing the dietary causes of inflammation helps tremendously, but I still get the physical trauma inflammation because no matter what, my knees are going to swell as a result of the reduced cartilage in my joints.   So, everything hurts when I walk for exercise and sometimes it's hard to not convince myself to just stay still.  It's a tough trade-off, a tough balance.  I'm going to have to look into the equalizer bars!  

I had such a delicious Day 1 dinner last night - I pan seared the tritip steak in my cast iron skillet, and then finished it in a hot oven.  Oven baked sweet potatoes, and broccoli, both dressed with just salt, pepper, and ghee.  So very simple and yet so yummy!  Pumpkin spice rooibos tea for dessert.  I know I need to check the tea - there are no sweeteners, but it's not an officially approved brand.  For the moment, I'm glad that I was able to be satisfied with the tea as opposed to ice cream.  I got my 10,000 steps in plus a short yoga session.  

No headache today, I slept more than 8 hours last night (!!) and so/but I'm not feeling tired today.  My mood is pretty good, my pain levels are tolerable.  

Day 2, Today's plan:

M1-same as yesterday, eggs, ham, asparagus.  black coffee

M2-Shrimp salad.  Can asparagus be eaten raw?  Or maybe I'll lightly steam it - I need a crunchy vegetable to add to the shrimp, as celery was one of those things I thought I had but had to throw out.  I also need to make more mayonnaise.  The eggs and lemon juice are sitting on the counter coming to room temperature right now.  

M3-Beef Bolognese over zucchini noodles that I've had in the freezer for the last 6 weeks.  No need for zoodles when I'm off the deep end, pasta!  Ugh.  And I really do like zoodles....

Hot tea for a dessert.  I may have to order some compliant teas.  I'll check this evening.  

Not sure if I'll walk or bike ride today.  I typically reserve the bike ride for days when I'm really hurting, which tends to be every third day or so.  That would be today, yet I'm feeling ok.  Not great, but tolerable.  We'll see.  Regardless, I still need to get the equivalent of 6,000 steps.  I'm already at 4,000!  The morning dog walks are a wonder!  Plus yoga - I would really like to get in a longer session today.  My back would appreciate that.     

I should do a grocery list today, but it might wait until tomorrow morning.  I have so few vegetables right now, and I won't have any more eggs after making mayo.  I can eat leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.  I prefer to concentrate on my menu and grocery list on Saturday mornings.  

Mentally, I would like to work on my idea that practicing good health habits is so very delicate.  Sometimes, I've got everything going exactly right and it's so easy.  But that perfect practice topples just as easily.  I'm realizing this has more to do with my mind set and less to do with some mystical, unknown power outside of myself.  I have pretty powerful visuals, and so I see plates balanced and spinning on a thin rod as representative of my positive health practices.  Each plate is a habit:  journaling, making a daily checklist, walking the dog upon waking, menu planning...and I'm quick to attribute the plates tumbling to something outside myself.  To place blame instead of take responsibility.  I have the power.  I should own it.   I'm going to work on this.  

Day 2 went well.  I ended up having day 1 leftovers for dinner, which were just as good the second time.  I slept terribly last night-I woke up almost instantly each time I drifted off to sleep.  Finally, I got up, got a handful of almonds and 2 dates and read for a while.  Sleep was still rough.  I slept later than normal as a result, and so didn’t do a morning dog walk.  

Even so, I feel fine.  I’ve planned meals and ordered groceries.  I’m taking the dog for a long hike in a little while.  Planning a campfire dinner this evening with a friend who is doing Whole 30ish eating.  She assured me the chicken she is barbecuing is compliant, and I’m going to bring a fall salad made with apples, pomegranate, pecans, and a vinaigrette dressing that I’ll make.  

Day 3

m1-2 eggs, asparagus, sliced leftover steak topped with compliant dijon

m2-rest of yesterday’s shrimp salad with cucumber slices

m3-chicken and fall salad

Nothing else to report, no expected barriers today.  

I didn't post yesterday just because I sometimes don't make time to get on the computer on Sundays.  

Day 3 went well, as did yesterday.  I went on a lovely 4 mile walk through a local arboretum, experiencing all the lovely colors of fall.  Not only was it good exercise, but good mentally, too.  

Day 5 - already.  I said yesterday went well, but I was mildly tempted by the thought of Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffins.  I drove past several billboards advertising them....in another week, they will have no impact on me whatsoever.  The beauty of W30-taming the sugar dragon.  

M1-3 eggs scrambled in olive oil, compliant bacon, served over arugula and topped with compliant Dijon mustard

M2-I have a little autumn salad left from Saturday night, but not enough for a meal.  Last night I finished all the leftovers.  I think I'll order a W30 bowl from Chipotle.  

M3-the beef bolognese over zoodles that I have yet to make because I've had enough leftovers.  

I'm very achy in my knee and hip this morning.  I didn't walk any longer collectively than usual yesterday, but there were more hills than I'm used to.  Maybe that's why?  But it's one-sided achiness.  Plus, it's a damp and foggy morning here.  The dog and I had a short walk in the dark this morning but then she got a thorn or burr in her foot, so we cut it short.  I think I'll ride my bike to round out today's exercise.  

14 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

Day 3 went well, as did yesterday.  I went on a lovely 4 mile walk through a local arboretum, experiencing all the lovely colors of fall.  Not only was it good exercise, but good mentally, too.  

The best way to keep me on track is a walk or hike. Obviously you had a great time.

My main issue yesterday was being terribly bloated and gassy...the significant increase in vegetables, I imagine.  And tired and achy.  I could barely ride my bike 3 miles around the neighborhood.  I didn't dare try for more than that.  I know this is all part of the process, and it tells me I'm on the right track.  If I need to take a nap today, I have time in my schedule to do so.  

Day 6. Feeling a little blah.  Slight headache.  Not as tired as I expected to be.  No pain/achiness this morning.  

M1-scrambled eggs and compliant bacon in olive oil, over a big pile of arugula and topped with compliant Dijon

M2-leftover beef Bolognese over zucchini and spinach

M3-Chicken Caesar salad with cucumber and compliant Caesar dressing.  I may "bread" the chicken with Paleo Powder, though I tend to really love this and sometimes overeat the chicken as a result.  I'll see how I'm feeling when it's time to cook.  

Short walk with the dog this morning because I slept later than normal.  I will take her to a local trail this afternoon.  With the time change this coming weekend, we won't be able to get out in the woods after work for much longer.  

No obvious NSVs yet...I'm in better control of cravings, but I think I'm still operating on willpower as opposed to biochemical change. 

Halloween is traditionally difficult for me.  Many years, I start a successful campaign for healthy eating (W30 or otherwise) at the start of September and sustain well through Halloween, when I often fall off.  Fun size Mounds bars are my absolute weakness.  Sometimes I get myself back on track and continue through the holidays, sometimes I'm off the deep end all of November and December.  No trick-or-treating this year, so no need to buy candy.    

• Moderators
On 10/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, MadyVanilla said:

Day 5 - already.  I said yesterday went well, but I was mildly tempted by the thought of Dunkin Donuts pumpkin muffins.  I drove past several billboards advertising them....in another week, they will have no impact on me whatsoever.  The beauty of W30-taming the sugar dragon.  

So very true. Love that you have your eye on this prize, for it truly is a prize, isn't it? I swear the longer I'm off sugar the less appetizing it is--and I can hardly remember the struggle, which is so. very. real. Not feeling addicted to sugar is probably my favorite thing about W30 and the thing that makes me most cautious about reintroductions. I was walking through a store yesterday and felt repulsed by all the bags of Halloween candy. Such a nsv to see that stuff as waxy nonfood poison this time of year. Really holding the intention to be mindful about sugar throughout the holidays this year. Maybe stay away all together. I'm just not sure any of it is worth it.

Though I'm with you on the coconut/chocolate combo, especially if you throw in some almonds. But I imagine if I bit into an almond joy right now or a mounds, it wouldn't taste good at all. Whatever is keeping your cravings at bay at the moment, bravo!!

Can't wait to read about your slain sugar dragon very soon! You got this, grurl!!

October 28th-I made a series of bad choices because of poor planning and ended up giving up for 5 straight days.  I've already been noncompliant for my first meal today, but I'm restarting today.  My pain levels are so clearly tied to what I eat, but it takes a few days for impact to kick in.  Wouldn't it be so much easier if as soon as I ate something inflammatory, my pain shot through the roof?  Almost like eating bad seafood and having a reaction within just a few hours?  But it's not like that, it takes a few days.  I know this.  My desire to have pain controlled  has to be stronger than my desire to eat brownie bites if I'm going to do this.  I think the fact that I have done multiple W30s is a double-edged sword.  On one hand, I'm well-experienced and have meals and prep down.  On the other hand, the novelty is worn off and I know that it only takes a few days to see positive effects.  

Committing to my restart.  

Archived