Day 24- feeling puffy

Emilyluder

This is my first attempt at Whole30 and it's gone okay so far. 

I experienced the typical timeline almost exactly until the tiger's blood period. I haven't felt that at all. It's not that I feel bad necessarily, but it stinks that I was hoping for this awesome energy boost and improved sleep and instead I feel exactly how I did before starting. 

I am typically a very healthy eater, so the only thing that's very different for me during this is not having some sort of a "cheat" meal once per week. I did, however, eat more plant based before this and had to change that due to no soy. I was having some digestion issues at first which I expected was from eating so much more animal protein than I had been used to. That's since gone away.

However, I feel very puffy, like I'm holding onto a lot of water weight. I'm weirdly obsessed with water LOL so I drink a gallon a day sometimes even more. I'm 5" and maybe around 112 pounds but not sure. I am adding pink salt to my meals, mostly because I was dealing with headaches and read a lot about adding sodium to help out with that during Whole30, but I don't feel I'm using too much or more than I used to, really. 

Here's what a typical day of eating may look like for me:

Meal 1- sautéed pepper, onion, kale, spinach, and tomato with two organic eggs and ¼ - ½ an avocado. Sometime a serving of fruit such as a clementine or a small handful of berries. Black coffee

Meal 2- Lettuce wrap with organic sugar free turkey, tomato, red onion, pickles, cucumbers and yellow mustard

Meal 3- chicken or lean meat source, cooked veggies, cauliflower rice, maybe baked sweet or purple potatoes 

Pre/post workout options- RX bar, 4 medium dates with 1 tbsp almond butter, compliant beef jerky, apple with 1tbsp almond butter

I also live with my parents over this quarantine and they like to eat dinner earlier than I do, around 5, so I'm usually really hungry before bed and have a snack around 9 of one of the above options or a bowl of grapes or something. Is that okay? 

@Emilyluder Hi and welcome! I have a few thoughts to perhaps help you troubleshoot your experience... 

First, you don't appear to have any fat for Meal 2 and Meal 3. You simply aren't going to see any energy gains if you don't give your body some fats. Perhaps consider making sure you have a plated fat at each and every meal. 

Second, depending on how often you're working out, you may be consuming a lot of nuts. Nuts can be troublesome for some folks, causing digestive upset and bloating, so perhaps that's the culprit. How often were you eating nuts before? I believe the general recommendation is a closed handful of nuts every few days. 

Third, you may want to consider different options for pre- and post-workout meals. For pre-workout, you want protein and fat. I usually do a hard boiled egg. Sometimes I'll add some macadamia nuts or olives, but mostly I just do an egg or two. For post-workout, you want protein and carbs. I usually do deli turkey slices or a few cubes of chicken breast and some sweet potato or a carb-heavy baby food packet. 

I hope this helps! And I wish you the very best of luck!! 

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@Emilyluder Hi and welcome! I have a few thoughts to perhaps help you troubleshoot your experience... 

First, you don't appear to have any fat for Meal 2 and Meal 3. You simply aren't going to see any energy gains if you don't give your body some fats. Perhaps consider making sure you have a plated fat at each and every meal. 

Second, depending on how often you're working out, you may be consuming a lot of nuts. Nuts can be troublesome for some folks, causing digestive upset and bloating, so perhaps that's the culprit. How often were you eating nuts before? I believe the general recommendation is a closed handful of nuts every few days. 

Third, you may want to consider different options for pre- and post-workout meals. For pre-workout, you want protein and fat. I usually do a hard boiled egg. Sometimes I'll add some macadamia nuts or olives, but mostly I just do an egg or two. For post-workout, you want protein and carbs. I usually do deli turkey slices or a few cubes of chicken breast and some sweet potato or a carb-heavy baby food packet. 

I hope this helps! And I wish you the very best of luck!! 

Thank you for the tips! I am using some coconut oil in my dinner meals if that would be enough fat? Ill add some to meal 2 as well.

I actually was eating about a handful of nuts a few weeks ago but stopped to try and help my digestion when I was struggling. Now I havent been having any aside from the tablespoon of almond butter maybe every other day, and occasional RX bars. Ill work on throwing together different pre and postworkout options!

I think they usually say that cooking fat doesn't count because most of it is left in the pan. Hence the term "plated fat." The recommendation is to add fat to your plate. So stuff like a handful of olives, avocado, ghee on top of your potatoes once they're on the plate, salad dressings on your greens, etc. 

Archived