Tea with Oat Straw

lana.the.explorer

Reposting since I never got a response on this...

I've searched high and low for this, but can't find a solid answer.

I have an organic mineral tea mix I bought from an herbarium, and one of the listed ingredients is "Oat Straw". From what I'm seeing, oat straw is basically the plant or grass of oat, so it should technically be acceptable. But I'm not sure!

Can anyone please help confirm whether this ingredient in tea is ok or not?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, lana.the.explorer said:

Reposting since I never got a response on this...

I've searched high and low for this, but can't find a solid answer.

I have an organic mineral tea mix I bought from an herbarium, and one of the listed ingredients is "Oat Straw". From what I'm seeing, oat straw is basically the plant or grass of oat, so it should technically be acceptable. But I'm not sure!

Can anyone please help confirm whether this ingredient in tea is ok or not?

Hey there!

sorry no one got back to you! Almost every question has been asked and answered so if you google 'whole30 + question' you can usually find an answer. In this case, you would find a previous thread which references this Facebook post where Melissa says:

If it's truly the oat FLOWER (and not flour!) then it's fine. The issues with grains come in the seed - eating the plant portion doesn't raise the same concerns. Melissa

The part that is relevant to your question is of course, 'The issues with grains come in the seed - eating the plant portion doesn't raise the same concerns'

So good to go!

Archived