Pre and post workout snack bars

Rachel Nicole

Hi everyone!

I'm on day 13 of my first whole 30. I have had trouble exercising so far, due to being overwhelmed about always having to have a pre and post workout snack or mini-meal. 

I'm curious if there are snack bars that are recommended before and after (quick things I can eat instead of having to cook eggs or potatoes etc.). The meal prep and cooking is already very time consuming and I'd rather not have to prepare extra meals (or eat more eggs). 

I know the Epic bars are recommended but I only eat locally sourced, humanely raised meat so I'm not sure these are ideal for me. They are also extremely expensive. Any other ideas? I know pre and post are different requirements so I'd love options for both (or, options for just one of them and then I can time the work out with one of my three meals of the day). 

Thanks in advance!! 

Hope everyone is staying healthy, happy, and safe during these crazy times. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rachel Nicole said:

The meal prep and cooking is already very time consuming and I'd rather not have to prepare extra meals (or eat more eggs). 

Could you just throw an extra couple chicken breast or other meat in when doing your other meal prep? Add a sweet potato to the oven and then have those items as your pre and post workout... then it's not more time or cooking, it's sort of folded into your existing output of energy/time.  This would be the least expensive option as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rachel Nicole,

Do you need a pre and or post workout meal?  I don't.  Sometimes I run first thing in the morning.  Sometimes right after I get off work.  I actually prefer the first in the morning empty stomach runs.  Some people say they "have to" eat something before they run.  I don't.  I am tired of letting other people dictate my food needs.  Try it out, see for yourself.  If I run after work I'll eat lunch between 12:00-12:30 and run at 4:00.  As long as you are eating enough at your meals you may find you do ok with 3 meals still.  For the record I am currently running 5-9 miles 3 times a week.  I have done this when training for a half marathon, I just signed up for my first full marathon and am planning on doing the same.  I don't have a hard time eating big good fatty meals though, either :)

I am certainly not saying that you have to do this, or that it's right for everyone, but I want to ask you to challenge what you are being told you "need".  N=1, right?  You are your own experiment of one.

I do run with a box of raisins (natural electrolytes!  woohoo!) in my pouch - just in case - when I go more than a certain number of miles. I carry water.  This is what works for me.  I tried nut butters and different concoctions, I had a hard time swallowing and got tired of making.  Sheer lazyness caused me to decide to try and go without.  For the Marathon I'm looking at trying a coconut water/lemon or lime juice (or watermelon chunks!) salt concoction.  Either that or some of these little pre-bottled coconut water kids drink (I told you, lazy!) if the ingredients check out.  "vitamins added"

Ok, I'll stop blathering on :)

Rachel

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, rachelmaria33 said:

Rachel Nicole,

Do you need a pre and or post workout meal?  I don't.  Sometimes I run first thing in the morning.  Sometimes right after I get off work.  I actually prefer the first in the morning empty stomach runs.  Some people say they "have to" eat something before they run.  I don't.  I am tired of letting other people dictate my food needs.  Try it out, see for yourself.  If I run after work I'll eat lunch between 12:00-12:30 and run at 4:00.  As long as you are eating enough at your meals you may find you do ok with 3 meals still.  For the record I am currently running 5-9 miles 3 times a week.  I have done this when training for a half marathon, I just signed up for my first full marathon and am planning on doing the same.  I don't have a hard time eating big good fatty meals though, either :)

I am certainly not saying that you have to do this, or that it's right for everyone, but I want to ask you to challenge what you are being told you "need".  N=1, right?  You are your own experiment of one.

I do run with a box of raisins (natural electrolytes!  woohoo!) in my pouch - just in case - when I go more than a certain number of miles. I carry water.  This is what works for me.  I tried nut butters and different concoctions, I had a hard time swallowing and got tired of making.  Sheer lazyness caused me to decide to try and go without.  For the Marathon I'm looking at trying a coconut water/lemon or lime juice (or watermelon chunks!) salt concoction.  Either that or some of these little pre-bottled coconut water kids drink (I told you, lazy!) if the ingredients check out.  "vitamins added"

Ok, I'll stop blathering on :)

Rachel

Thank you Rachel !! I appreciate this perspective (just seeing it now!). I definitely don't think I need it (never have before this so I'm not sure why I would now). I'll pay attention to how I feel! Thanks for the input :)

Archived