Pistachios: Bad way to fight my Wine Demon at night?

Seana H

I am on Day 5 and feeling like Super Woman. Really. I have tons of energy and feel like shouting to everyone that they should be doing a Whole30. (stop snickering....I'm sure my crash will come!) I have had no problem giving up the sugary snacks, starch, etc. Even though my somewhat supportive husband and children are still eating Fritos and pizza while I'm eating shrimp stir fry, I am staying strong and loving it.

Ahhhh...but then there is the 300lb Wine demon in the room:

In my pre-Whole30 life, I would love my evening glass of wine (or two!) and giving up wine is killing me. I find myself thinking about it non-stop - and dreamt last night I started a winery. I am in the catering business in DC - we live for great wine and food. When you come home from a huge wedding and your body hurts and it is midnight, what is the best stress remedy? A glass of Chardonnay!

So the last few nights, around 8-9pm, I've been having a handful of pistachios. They are a bit sweet, but most importantly gives my hands something to do while catching up on work or watching a movie. I normally would be reaching for a wine glass.

Any thoughts or advice? is this a bad habit to form during my Whole30?

Hmmm...I think this is one of those individual decisions and you will get multiple opinions. I voted nuts off my island because I found myself mindlessly munching on them. You really should eat your meals in the entirety the way the template says. However, if nothing else works like hot tea, hot water (yep..I love a mug of hot water), taking up a busy work hobby or a hot bath and you don't end up eating a lb without noticing then I feel it's okay. I don't remember where on the list of acceptable nuts they are so be ready for someone to call me out on that. You could type pistachios in the search field to see if you can come up with a more exact answer than mine. I personally play Angry Birds to relax. :)

I think a mod will be here shortly to advise you not to eat to "keep your hands busy" and that if you are actually hungry, to eat a balanced (protein, veg, fat) snack.

I recommend knitting as a W30-approved way of keeping your hands busy during a movie. :D

If you're simply looking for something to give your hands "something to do" then I'd try and avoid snacking. Like some sort of DIY, knitting, read a book, draw, etc. Otherwise you're just doing mindless snacking in front of the TV - believe me, that was one of my biggest pitfalls before Whole30. That used to be my way to unwind and I found that I wasn't really hungry. It was just a habit. If you genuinely are hungry then maybe snacking on a veggie like cucumber slices or carrots would be better than nuts.

Like slw600 said, if you're eating full meals based on the Whole30 template then sooner or later you'll find you won't need to snack at all.

I am just like you. I too would relax with a glass of red wine in the evenings and have really been missing it. A lot. Here is what I have done. While I am making dinner (which is when I would normally have a glass of wine) I make a "mocktail". I pour cold San Pelligrino into a wine glass and squeeze a lemon, lime, and orange wedge into it. It gives me something to sip on and gives my hands something to do also. Hope this helps.

I agree with Ibosmer, that approach has worked for me as well. And also tea - Tazo Wild Sweet Orange is a great one because it tastes good and is caffeine free. But seriously, the sparkling water has gotten me through many evenings when all I wanted was a glass (or two..) of wine. Fortunately with time my wine demon is starting to shrink, which I never thought would ever happen.

Sparkling water??? What do you mean by that?

I am sooooo missing my wine, and it is only day 2, and it isn't the weekend yet!

I agree with Ibosmer, that approach has worked for me as well. And also tea - Tazo Wild Sweet Orange is a great one because it tastes good and is caffeine free. But seriously, the sparkling water has gotten me through many evenings when all I wanted was a glass (or two..) of wine. Fortunately with time my wine demon is starting to shrink, which I never thought would ever happen.

Oh wait..I forgot about sassy water and kombucha. Just google sassy water to come up with all kinds of great variations. Kombucha has become my adult beverage. Just make sure it has no added sugar in the ingredients. There is sugar in the fermentation process but most of it is eaten by the process so it's approved.

Sparkling water??? What do you mean by that?

I am sooooo missing my wine, and it is only day 2, and it isn't the weekend yet!

Sparkling water = carbonated or fizzy water, or mineral water, comes in a bottle, some of it is lightly flavored (read the ingredients though!)

I feel your pain, just continue to say no to the wine and it sloooowly gets easier. Weekends are hardest for me too, but I've found that immersing myself in something else (reading before bed) and planning something I like to do early on Saturday (hiking) helps me to appreciate a wine free weekend a lot more.

Oh wait..I forgot about sassy water and kombucha. Just google sassy water to come up with all kinds of great variations. Kombucha has become my adult beverage. Just make sure it has no added sugar in the ingredients. There is sugar in the fermentation process but most of it is eaten by the process so it's approved.

Sassy water! New to me -- thank you!

I find that kombucha in the evening makes it harder for me to fall asleep. Not sure if there might be some other reason but when I don't have kombucha at night, I fall asleep almost instantly. When I do have it, I toss and turn a bit. Not real long but it's noticeable. So, much as I love my kombuca-sparkling water drink, I've been wanting an alternative.

Will be reading up on Sassy Water!

I think it's a lovely idea to put your new adult beverage in a nice glass. I do that with my kombucha. :)

Me too!

Sassy water! New to me -- thank you!

I find that kombucha in the evening makes it harder for me to fall asleep. Not sure if there might be some other reason but when I don't have kombucha at night, I fall asleep almost instantly. When I do have it, I toss and turn a bit. Not real long but it's noticeable. So, much as I love my kombuca-sparkling water drink, I've been wanting an alternative.

Will be reading up on Sassy Water!

Terez, my favorite combo is cucumbers, lemon slices and fresh mint or cilantro. The possibilities are endless. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm new to these forums, and I can't figure out what it means when people say SWYPO..?

It means Sex With Your Pants On. It's basically taking some kind of junk or non compliant food that you used to eat and trying to copy it with compliant ingredients. The problems are that that approach doesn't help us to form a healthier relationship with food and also leads us to keep craving the real (junk) thing. There's a whole list of acronyms here that might help

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6602-acronyms/

Archived