May 1, 2020 - and We're Off!

relampago

I am committing to doing a Whole 30 beginning May 1. I did my first one years ago like 2011 0r 2012 (?) and it was the first time I have felt so good in my own skin and the ONLY time I've ever had other people comment to me ("What's different?" "You're glowing!.") I'm not doing it for the comments but I am doing it because I feel so off kilter (because of the 'everythingness' of the moment) and I know this is not sustainable. I am also going to be integrating some contemplative/meditative practices into it as well (Insight Timer)--that feels really important this time around. If anyone is interested let me know I'm a bit of a hermit so having encouragement and accountability feels important, but if not I can always just peruse the Forum.

Tomorrow I'm cleaning out the fridge and cabinets and going shopping. #accountability

Thanks for reading!

Sherri

I’m in!   Let’s hold each other accountable, yes?  

I’ve tried this before, in September 2019, but gave up after 16 days due to all the extra work in the kitchen, I just became tired of it all.  But some of the things I learned have stuck with me and have become habit:
1. Clean the kitchen, right down to the bare counter, after every meal.  
2. Use the dishwasher for almost everything, even if it means running two loads in a day. 
3. Plan all of my meals one week in advance. 
4. Always have washed romaine in the fridge, wrapped in a dish towel to keep it fresh. 
5. Keep store bought cooked chicken breast in the fridge at all times (I like the packaged chicken breast from Costco - it’s compliant). 

I started my Day 1 with a large romaine salad topped with homemade chicken salad (shredded chicken leg, celery, home made mayo),  walnuts, strawberries and Primal Kitchen ranch dressing.  I love salad for breakfast, another habit I formed since my September W30.

Let me know how your day is going...

Shadow

These are amaze ideas. The first one is excellent and I had not thought of that. For me, I am not a great cook. I'm not even a good cook. I am the person who forgets to eat and then makes strange food choices because I've waited too late. Also I can get quickly discouraged and overwhelmed because honestly people who "cook" like it's no big deal might as well be wizards to me. I mean I do a lot of things really well, this has never been one.

Nevertheless! I got an Instantpot and the Whole30 SlowCooker/Instantpot Cookbook which should arrive this weekend. Gamechanger. I'm good with a recipe not good winging it or doing to much prep ahead because I also get "food bored"I made a promise to myself that I will eat very simply and within the program until it gets here. So far so good! I am totally going to do the Chipotle bowl this weekend sometime to give myself a break from cooking and also it feels pretty luxurious to order out. 

I got some great grass fed beef and no sugar chorizo and other protein so I just need to do a little produce every couple of days and I got some frozen veggies for emergencies.

Thanks for checking in! Let's Keep going!

Salad for breakfast is clutch. I can do that forever.

relampago

Food bored!  I get that too.  But i also have my constants that I haven’t tired of yet. Romaine with anything salad.  Potato- egg salad. Beef tenderloin roast or steak with whatever (tenderloin is the only cut of beef besides ground that I can cook without ruining it). I need to have these same old - same olds because I’m not a great cook either.  Actually these 3 were my Day 1 meals.  Yikes - I chose all of my faves to start! 

I bought a 4pack bag of frozen cauliflower rice from Costco.  Cooked up 1 bag tonight into the Veggie confetti cauli rice recipe from the Whole30 Fast and Easy cookbook.  It was easy and quick and tasted great, even though I didn’t have any zucchini or sweet peppers the recipe called for, it turned out just fine without them.  This was the first time ever that I ate cauli rice. Loved it and am looking forward to trying it in more recipes.  

I have an instant pot too but so far have only used it to cook chicken breasts and legs, then I use the liquid for stock in recipes.  Total game changer for me because the chicken always turns out moist.  I tend to overcook it in the oven. Let me know if you find a good recipe, I have the instant pot W30 cookbook too.

Day 1:

Meal 1: romaine & stuff salad, ranch dressing

M2: potato egg salad, carrot sticks

M3: roast beef, veg confetti cauli rice

NSV: I ate well today, and have lots of leftovers for the next couple of days.

Happy weekend!

Shadow

This weekend has been so stressful but NSV I have stayed with it even if it looked strange like eating my meal in individual portions as I cooked it. LMAO. I'm a professor and so the end of term crunch and also general student/faculty anxiety (lots of Zoom meetings) is all over the place. Congratulations me!

Hope you're well Shadow!

Well done relampago!  You stuck with it when things were tough, and that’s a huge victory. 
Did you have the chipotle bowl?   It’s not available here :-(  I live in the country and options for takeout here are pretty slim - pizza, wings, burgers - so I really have to stay on my game and hang out in the kitchen more than usual. 
Hang in there during this busy time for you. 

Shadow

Archived