Shadow’s May 2020 Whole30

@RachelR I agree, and have noticed that although I still spend time working to have compliant meals or looking for new recipes, it’s productive time, in which I am usually learning something, not just counting or weighing.  W30 is definitely not “no pressure,” but when I look back at my NSV’s I can see the progress I’ve made in many ways.  Sort of like working towards a degree in my own health :-)

Thanks for your comment

Shadow

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 27, Wednesday May 27

M1: sweet potato hash with onions, pineapple and cinnamon, 2 eggs, green beans https://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/bacon-pineapple-and-sweet-potato-hash/#wprm-recipe-container-4016

M2: romaine and spinach salad with celery, avocado, green grapes, PK green goddess dressing

M3: leftover chicken with strawberry rhubarb salsa, cauliflower

NSV: I tried another new recipe (sweet potato hash) and loved it! Thanks so much for the link @scoakley13. I didn't have cilantro or bacon on hand, and I didn't add the jalapeno, but it turned out just fine.  I've never been a fan of cilantro, but that has to change.  I'm planning to buy a cilantro plant for my garden, and try it a bit at a time to overcome this distaste I have for it.  

NSV: I didn't snack between meals again today. That's a two day streak!

NSV: Since my high cravings day last Friday - 5 days ago, I am finding it easier to focus on eating well and to avoid off-plan foods.  

I need regularly to bring myself back to my primary focus: Eat nutritious, delicious food always, and strive to aways be on auto-pilot with my food choices.  The difference with my focus from a week or two ago are the reasons for the distractions.  It used to be that trashy foods would be distracting, but I find that the hot weather and my new gardening hobby are what distract me now and lead me to unintentionally put my W30 plans on the back burner.  

Plan for tomorrow: Prepare a potato-egg salad and chop up some more sweet potato, carrots and onion for the fridge

Day 28, Thursday May 28

M1: fried potatoes and onions. fried kale and spinach, 2 eggs

M2: green beans, potato-egg salad with chives

M3: beef burger on iceberg lettuce wrap with onions, tomato and mayo https://40aprons.com/whole30-in-n-out-burgers/ 

Snack before supper: larabar

Snack after supper: raspberries and banana

NSV: I shopped for a few groceries and didn't buy any junk

NSV: I was eating breakfast and was full before finishing.  I heard Alanis in my head singing "How 'bout stopping eating when I'm full up." (Thank U)   I fed the rest of my very healthy breakfast to my dog and he loved me for it :-) 

I didn't really need any of the snacks today.  The Larabar I had before supper just because I was curious how it tasted (delicious!).  The fruit after supper was just a habit to eat something while visiting with company.  My kitchen was a mess and I'd had a super busy day at work. I wouldn't have eaten it if my day had been more organized.  I just felt a bit... frazzled?  Well its not like I gave in to something junky, so go me!

Tomorrow: I'm going to eat well and remain compliant.  I hope to get up early enough to get myself organized after the morning rush and before my work day begins.  

Day 29, Friday May 29

M1: brat sausage, kale, 2 eggs

M2: carrot & celery sticks, potato-egg salad

Snack: banana, tsp of almond butter

M3: romaine & spinach salad with avocado, celery, green grapes, chicken and PK green goddess dressing

NSV: My belly definitely is less fat

NSV: I remained compliant while out today with DD17, bought her lunch at McDonald's but I ate at home.  I also bought her candy for her lunch at work tomorrow and I didn't even want any of it

NSV: As I was weeding my vegetable garden this morning, a neighbour dropped over for a visit.  I offered her some rhubarb, and she said she'd come by later today to pull some (not sure if she was by when I was out).  I showed her my new herb garden, my vegetable garden and my raspberry patch.  She was intrigued with the herb garden and texted me later to say that she plans to start one herself.  I feel so pleased that my healthy habits inspired me to plant herbs, and in turn inspired my neighbour to also plant an herb garden.  Yesterday I gave another neighbour two bunches or rhubarb, some raspberry shoots to plant in her yard, and some strawberry runners to also plant.  It feels so good to be able to share some of the good and healthy things that I have!  I feel certain that if it wasn't for this W30, I wouldn't be very interested in gardening.

Plan for tomorrow:  Just stay the course.  Eat well.  Remain compliant.  Make sure I have some ready to eat protein in the fridge.  I'm planning to continue on W30 until June 10.  I hope that by then I will have stopped snacking between meals.  

Day 30, Saturday May 30

M1: leftover romaine salad, mandarins

M2: sweet potato hash, with jalapeño and cilantro, prosciutto subbed for bacon

M3: English banger sausage sheet pan dinner with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, sweet pepper, oregano, salt and pepper, olive oil

NSV: I am thoroughly enjoying eating Whole30, and am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. That hash (from sophisticated caveman.com) is soooo good

NSV: I added a bit of cilantro to the hash today, hoping that I will grow to eventually like it

NSV: I’m loving that my stomach is a bit smaller, I’m not as conscious of it anymore 

Plan for tomorrow: continue with W30 until June 10, I’m not in any rush to weigh or measure myself

I hope to have a better sleep pattern by the time I finish W40.  I want to get up consistently at 7am. Right now I am getting great sleep, just having trouble getting up in the morning 

@ShadowInTheKitchen Ive noticed that even if im not tired ill stay in bed when i wake up unless i have a good reason to try and leave it lol.

Day 30 done! grats. Are you considering past 40 if you dont quite hit what you want?

Does cilantro have that soapy taste for you or you just arent an overall fan of it? because if you have that genetic thing its probably not even worth trying to eat it. I honestly cant recall eating it (though im sure i have) and i have no idea what it tastes like lol. I really need to get out more.

Keep up the good work - another weekend gone! happy thoughts

@Blueautumn It sounds like you and I have the same problem with not wanting to get out of bed!  I used to be a 'morning person,' not sure what happened to that, maybe menopause but I hate to blame that for any of my problems.  I am very happy to be at this stage of my life.  This morning I planned to get up at 7, woke up at 7 but didn't get up until 9.  Grrrrr.  Ah well, tomorrow morning...

have to be finished on the 10th, my birthday is on the 20th and I want to have some reintros done by then.  I want to invite some neighbours over for a bonfire on my birthday and I want to be able to enjoy some wine and appies!

About the soapy cilantro taste... The thing is that I don't really think it tastes like soap, not that I eat soap LOL.  I am just not a fan - yet. I don't really like parsley either (they look almost the same so probably are related).  Both are often on ingredient lists, and I'd like to eat more Mexican/Southwest foods, so I'm gonna need to like that cilantro!  BTW that sweet potato hash is the bomb! https://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/bacon-pineapple-and-sweet-potato-hash/#wprm-recipe-container-4016 . I added a bit of cilantro and didn't mind it.  I also chopped up a jalapeno - 1st time for me cooking with one!  Bonus - its not hard to make either.  

:)

Day 31, Sunday May 31

M1: leftover sweet potato hash with two fried eggs

M2: leftover sausage, potatoes and veg

Snack: Larabar

M3: roast chicken, potatoes, carrots, green beans, ghee

NSV: my sleep quality is excellent.  I am waking up earlier than I was at the start of this Whole 30.  Now to work on getting up at 7am every morning.  

NSV: I feel a lot better than I did 30 days ago, and I know  that some of the fat I was carrying in my belly has fallen away.  I'm wearing my lulu's today and they aren't rolling down at the waist like they were for the past six months

For the next ten days, I am going to continue to focus on:

1. eating well, staying the course eating all of my favourite Whole30 meals and trying a few new recipes when I feel the need

2. my habit hacks.  I've been spending too much of my available time working in the garden instead of in the kitchen

3. no snacking!  Gah! Why did I snack today?  I could have waited until dinner was ready but I was bored :-(

4. sleep, well actually getting out of bed at 7am.  I wake up rested, but spend too much time just lounging, reading or not doing anything 

I want to start doing more some exercise of some sort.  I walk my dog for 1/2 hour every day, but its at a leisure pace and I don't count it as exercise.  I miss my gym workouts and am considering joining BeachBody but I'm worried that if I start something new that my other focus(es) will suffer.  Also, I've never managed to commit to a home workout routine for very long, other than brisk walking for an hour every day before I got my dog. So I need to think on this.  I just don't want to fail at this Whole30 and reintroduction, but I also feel that I need to workout because I'm not as strong as I was before Covid and the gym closed.  Last year I did 55 real burpees on my 55th birthday - over an hour session -, but this year I don't think I will even be able to do more than ten.  Can I even do a real pushup anymore?  Maybe I'll start BeachBody after my reintro is done, or maybe on my birthday on the 20th?  Ugh.  I'm feeling fat and lazy.  Sigh.

Day 32, Monday June 1

M1: bratwurst sausage, 2 fried eggs, green beans topped with homemade ghee

M2: banana and strawberries, piece of leftover cold roast chicken breast w/ almond butter

M3: romaine & spinach salad w/ avocado, celery, green onions, red bell pepper, chicken, PK ranch & caesar dressing

NSV: I made more homemade ghee and realized that I love it much more than store-bought ghee.  Mine tends to brown a bit on the bottom after all the milk has been skimmed off and it develops a bit of a butterscotch flavour, which is absolutely delicious melted on steamed mild veggies like green beans.  I need to remember this!

NSV: I didn't snack today, and I didn't have any cravings :-) 

I'm disappointed that I didn't get out of bed until 7:30 even though I was awake at 7:00.  What's with that?  I'm well rested when I wake up, just having trouble getting up.  When I did finally get up this morning, I went to the garden and weeded for 3 hours, and didn't eat breakfast until 11:15, which is very late for me.  I used to not be able to wait for breakfast, and I used to always pack some emergency breakfast food when I travelled so that I wouldn't feel sick until I got to a restaurant.  So that's another non scale victory for me :-)

NSV: I no longer need to eat right away when I get up in the morning 

Since my breakfast was so late, my lunch was late too. I was hungry at 3pm, four hours after breakfast, and I didn't want to risk waiting to eat my second meal at dinner time.  I purposely tried to keep my lunch small, but it ended up being a normal sized portion for me.  The cold chicken breast dipped in almond butter was surprisingly good. 

I ate dinner at 6:00pm.  A light salad.  I know if I eat too late in the day that I won't sleep well.  Tomorrow I will try to eat my breakfast earlier in the day so that I don't have such messed up meal times like I did today.  I don't think I will ever switch to eating just two meals a day, it just seems wrong to me.

I notice that I am starting to adjust my meal sizes down a bit, and not feeling so full after I finish.  I hope this trend becomes permanent and is not just a temporary situation.  The key for me remaining Whole30 compliant is staying full between meals so that I'm not tempted to snack, so I have to be very careful to not make my meals smaller than necessary.  

Plan for tomorrow:

1. Maintain my focus to eat well, continue to stay the course

2. Keep up with my habit hacks as listed here on Days 1 - 15

3. No snacking

4. Get out of bed at 7am

5. Eat breakfast around 8am, lunch around noon, dinner around 6pm

6. Tidy up and re-organize the fridge again, make some potato-egg salad, make and freeze some ready to eat Whole30 chicken vegetable soup with the broth I made overnight from the roast chicken carcass

12 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

... after all the milk has been skimmed off and it develops a bit of a butterscotch flavour, which is absolutely delicious melted on steamed mild veggies like green beans.  I need to remember this!

Ghee is the best! The flavor is so much richer than just butter.

Day 33, Tuesday June 2

M1: leftover sausage, potatoes and roasted veg from sheet pan dinner, 2 fried eggs

M2: homemade chicken veg soup with bone broth I made from the roasted chicken carcass, onion, celery, carrots, chicken

Snack: apple

Snack: 1 cup of soup

M3: boiled skin-on smashed potatoes, root veg mix of rutabaga, carrots and sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, homemade meatballs au jus

NSV: I ate well and stayed true to W30, despite having tons of cravings in the grocery store.  Everything was tempting. Then H brought home a dessert, and I was tempted again.  So I'm counting this as another big victory.  I feel like it's the first week again.  I also caught myself thinking that I wanted to quit to EATT, but did I?  NO WAY!!!

The soup I made for lunch was delicious, and 2 cups seemed like lots for lunch, but I was snacking an hour and a half later, then 2 hours after that.  Note to Future Shadow: having only soup for lunch is not going to keep me from snacking until supper.

NSV:  I spend a lot of time cooking what I eat from scratch, approximately 1/2 hour per meal unless I'm re-heating something.  Nothing I eat comes from a box or cello container except fresh fruit or veg.  Wow. That's a big NSV now that I stop to consider it, and the impact of it on my health.  I really, really, REALLY hope that this new way of eating is permanent for me.  

Plan for tomorrow:

1. Keep focused on Whole30.  It seems redundant because I'm on the program so why tell myself to focus on it, but I need to keep my focus.  I need to keep telling myself to continue, to not give up.  It would be so easy to do but soooo disappointing.  

2. Get up at 7am (this morning I got up at 7:05, not good enough)

3. 8am, noon and 6pm worked well today for meal times, except that M2 wasn't big enough to go snack free until M3, so tomorrow I'll try again, hopefully I won't need to snack.  I want to be able to go "snack free" when I get to Day 40...

On 5/31/2020 at 8:21 PM, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

3. no snacking!  Gah! Why did I snack today?  I could have waited until dinner was ready but I was bored :-(

This right here ^^^ Hmmm i want something to do...yum lets eat something just cause its like something to do and delicious! lol congrats on getting closer to the 7am get up!

Day 34, Wednesday June3

M1: spinach and romaine salad with celery, green onion, green grapes, chicken and Primal Kitchen dressing

M2: potato-egg salad with home made mayo, Farm Boy german bratwurst sausage, 1 cup of green beans steamed from frozen, topped with my home made ghee

M3: shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book with added compliant tomato paste and leftover Kirkland compliant marinara sauce from family's dinner Monday night. I love this recipe but its much better with the tomato sauce IMO. I also used up the leftover white potatoes and rutabaga from last night, and mixed them with Instant Pot pressure cooked sweet potato for the pie topping

NSV: I woke up at 6:40ish, no alarm, and got up at 7:01 and am considering that a win :-)

NSV:  I didn't snack at all today, Day 1 of no snacking.  I'm going to try to finish out my W40 without snacking, until June 10.

NSV: friends dropped by for a visit/beer before dinner, I had a lime flavoured Perrier water that I've been keeping chilled for just such an occasion.  BTW these friends usually encourage me to drink when I don't really want to, but today they didn't push back so that was nice. I don't miss drinking alcohol, but still intend to reintro with a glass of white wine.  I'm looking for a pino grigio or maybe a moscato w/o sulphites... we have wine here but it has sulphites so I'll have to shop which means waiting in line b/c there's always a line up at the liquor store.  Ugh

NSV: I had excellent energy all day today 

NSV: my sleep quality was excellent.  I drink a lot of water and am usually up once in the night to use the w/c but have no trouble falling back asleep.  It's a nice feeling to wake up and be awake, my eyes just pop open and I'm awake, not groggy or wishing I could fall back asleep.  This started happening sometime in the last week or so

NSV: I didn't have any cravings today

NSV: I thoroughly enjoyed all of my meals today, enjoyed prepping and cooking and eating and didn't mind the dishes either!

Plan for tomorrow:

1. Keep my focus on eating W30

2. Get up at 7am

3. Meal times at 8am, noon, and 6pm.  

4. Keep up with my habit hacks from Day 1 - ~Day 15.  I can't let my habits slip, they're what keep me on the straight and narrow track!

I'm looking forward to inviting a friend over for a home cooked Whole30 lunch outdoors sometime after I finish my 40 days...  this is something I've never considered before (always just would have someone over for drinks and apps only).  Yes, I'm feeling confident in my new cooking skill set that I have developed since my first W30 last September, and especially this W30 b/c I'm cooking much more from scratch and finding new recipes.

I love reading all your NSVs!  And your hacks are awesome and easy to do.    

Re: the wine.  I also enjoy having a glass a wine with dinner or sharing a bottle with friends.  I don't know if you are aware of DryFarm Wines?  They source organic, no sugar-added wines from around the world.  The wines are considered paleo- and keto-friendly.  

@MadyVanilla thanks! 

I didn't know about DryFarm wines, I really like the organic etc qualities.  I can't seem to get the Ontario liquor store site to find DryFarm whites.  I guess I'll go tomorrow to search in store.  I gotta go soon because home delivery takes approx 5 days if a wine is available but not in store.  Thanks a bunch for kick starting my search!

3 minutes ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

@MadyVanilla thanks! 

I didn't know about DryFarm wines, I really like the organic etc qualities.  I can't seem to get the Ontario liquor store site to find DryFarm whites.  I guess I'll go tomorrow to search in store.  I gotta go soon because home delivery takes approx 5 days if a wine is available but not in store.  Thanks a bunch for kick starting my search!

Sorry, I neglected to say it's an internet-based company-they source wines rather than produce them, but you can often find the ones they are selling at the original vintner or through wine.com, etc.  I never thought to ask my local store to order for me!  If you check them out and decide to order, it does take about 5 days to get to you and you pay the shipping.  And they are a little pricier than what you might typically be able to get in store, but I've been happy with all my bottles so far.  

@MadyVanilla  So... I just remembered there is a small winery just up the road a bit, less than a 10 minute drive from my home.  I guess I could try there and shop local LOL. I'm sure that if I call them they would be able to tell me right away if their wines contain sulphites.   Also, Canada Post doesn't deliver wine (the liquor store's delivery contract is w/ them). I would have to drive to the post office to pick up my order, which would add another day until I have it.  I'm definitely keeping DryFarm in mind for next time though.  The line ups at the liquor stores haven't subsided yet the way they have for grocery stores.   

I'm glad right now that alcohol isn't very important to me anymore, although I think I will always appreciate a well-paired wine.  

Day 35, Thursday June 4

M1: brat sausage, 2 fried eggs, green beans, ghee

M2: leftover shepherd's pie, ice water w/ a splash of OJ

M3: spinach & romaine salad, peppers, onions, celery, cukes, green goddess dressing

NSV: I was wide awake at 5:40 am, out of bed at 6!  I did some weeding in my gardens while the family did their morning routine, then I came in at 7:45 to have my breakfast at 8am.

NSV: I didn't snack today, that's a two day streak!

NSV: I cut up some more veggies for easier access, froze 9 lbs of ground beef into thin one pound packages for easier thawing, and had the kitchen cleaned up all before 9am!  Wow - my energy was ah-mazing this morning. 

NSV: I didn't have a mid-day energy slump at work this afternoon, even though I was expecting it.  I ducked out for a 15 minute walk just to clear my head and change my mindset and it worked, no cravings during that long afternoon haul.

My stomach has been a bit achey, on and off, for I don't know how long.  Not sure why.  I shouldn't be able to "feel" my stomach.  I can't feel inside my head unless I have a headache, which is indicative of a problem, so I assume there is a problem with my stomach.  I'm planning to call my Dr tomorrow to set up an appointment, hopefully tweak my meds or maybe even get off of them.  I hope its not something related to my diet because I love the foods I'm eating.

OK so other than a little pain in my gut, I'm feeling pretty awesome right now.  Well after 35 days I should feel something, am I right?  Tomorrow I'm just going to keep focused on the same four goals I have set for myself to round out the last 10 days of this Whole30/W40:  Eat well, habit hacks done, no snacking, and up by 7am.  I still have lots of energy and about an hour of good daylight this evening, so I'm going to go out and plant some flowers to enjoy when I'm sitting outside.  Prettying up the place is good self care IMO :-)

Wooohoooo!!! Getting out of bed AND no snacking?! You getting it done. So happy those extra days are paying off for you. I've noticed I'm not tired at the end of my work shifts now which has been so useful to not feeling just bleh by the time I get home.

Hopefully your stomach is nothing problematic 

Happy thoughts!

Day 36, Friday June 5

M1: green salad with chicken and PK dressing, banana (not with the salad lol)

M2: potato egg salad with celery and carrot sticks

M3: bbq steak, potatoes, lemony asparagus

NSV: I woke up at 6:30, was up at 6:45, no alarm

NSV: I had a terrific sleep, my energy levels were excellent all day, and I didn't have cravings.

NSV: I reached all my goals today: eat well, up by 7am, no snacking and keep up with my habit hacks

I searched at the liquor store for a white wine without sulphites.  Turns out that all wines contain sulphites, or so I was told by the customer service representative.  So that makes things a bit easier.  I plan to find out on Thursday evening next week if wine or sulphites have any nasty effects on me.

Today, mid afternoon, I didn't have a craving for food but rather felt like indulging my decades long habit of taking a break with something yummy to eat.  It wasn't a craving but rather a feeling to spend time with myself & away from work doing something I enjoy.  I guess that having food would always be enough to take my mind off of work for a few minutes.  I had a cup of tea instead, and didn't miss snacking at all.  I've been drinking a lot of tea this W30.  The thing is, I don't have something to replace this mid afternoon break habit with.   I could go for a walk, and I often do, but I also walk in the morning and after dinner and don't want to always fill this break time with yet another walk.  So what to do?  Invite a neighbour over for a mid-afternoon cup of tea/iced tea?  Does anyone actually do that anymore?  And what about physical distancing rules right now?  I could read a book or go on social media, but either of those can be endless time bandits for me and I've got to get back to work so those are not options.  I think I want to do something social, something fun, something enjoyable.  Working from home is lonely sometimes.  I like the idea of having someone drop over for a short visit, but with Covid it's not a good option right now.  What do other people do? Any suggestions?  

11 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I had a cup of tea instead, and didn't miss snacking at all.  I've been drinking a lot of tea this W30.  The thing is, I don't have something to replace this mid afternoon break habit with.   I could go for a walk, and I often do, but I also walk in the morning and after dinner and don't want to always fill this break time with yet another walk.  So what to do?  Invite a neighbour over for a mid-afternoon cup of tea/iced tea?  Does anyone actually do that anymore?  And what about physical distancing rules right now?  I could read a book or go on social media, but either of those can be endless time bandits for me and I've got to get back to work so those are not options.  I think I want to do something social, something fun, something enjoyable.  Working from home is lonely sometimes.  I like the idea of having someone drop over for a short visit, but with Covid it's not a good option right now.  What do other people do? Any suggestions?  

One of my best friends lives down the street and even during covid, we've still met on our front porches for a cup of coffee or a glass of wine about once a week.  We scooted our chairs a little further apart to socially distance ourselves and we've always brought our own beverage.   I really look forward to this!  

Your post reminded me of my daily commute routine-I called a different person on my way home for work each day, Mom was always Mondays, etc.  Maybe a combination of phone calls and neighbor visits or just phone calls for now would help with that afternoon break.  The socializing is so important.  I have a list of healthy habits to accomplish each day and one item is to communicate with someone outside my house.  

Archived