Shadow’s May 2020 Whole30

W30 R3 Thursday August 6, 2020

M1: shepherd's pie

M2: favourite green salad with avocado and chicken

Snack: banana, mixed nuts including peanuts

M3: 2 beef burger patties in marinara sauce, 1 cup green beans, 1 cob of corn with melted butter, refried potatoes and onions in ghee

NSV: I didn't eat any junk food today and I feel pleased with myself about that.  I almost got a Day One - Done

I had some non-compliant food today: salted peanuts and a cob of corn, both were conscious decisions.  I'm pretty sure that neither peanuts nor corn affect me in a negative way (although I'm not 100% certain), but the butter was a mistake.  I was going to give myself credit for a "Day One - Done" even with the peanuts and corn, but with having the butter I need to start over again tomorrow.  I'm ok with it, a bit disappointed but its not a super big deal.  I'm just glad I didn't eat anything sugary. 

Tomorrow I'm going to the gym for strength training again.  Looking forward.  I know that dinner will most likely be out to a restaurant, and I'm a bit disappointed because I don't think that I will remain compliant (then why am I going? It's another story).  I don't really like dining out while trying to do a Whole 30, it just takes the fun out of going out.  So tomorrow may be a fail, but I intend to eat real, whole foods all day, nothing sugary because I'm certain that sugar is my biggest weakness and I don't want to have to blow this good thing I did today.  Hoping to continue my sugar free streak tomorrow!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every day you're moving closer to tackling your next W30...but my goodness, your meals sound so delicious and wholesome.  This is the type of day I will be striving for when I'm practicing Food Freedom...nourishing, yummy meals and rich, worth-it snacks.  

W30 R3 Friday August 7, 2020

M1: boiled green beans, 2 eggs fried in ghee

M2: favourite green salad with chicken

M3: non-compliant dinner out at a restaurant - 2 dinner rolls with butter, scalloped veal with prosciutto in wine reduction, potatoes, zucchini and sweet peppers, one glass (125 ml) of wine

NSV: no snacking all day

Dinner out was nice.  I was really hungry and so ate two (small and very tasty) dinner rolls while waiting for my entree.  I enjoyed the wine with dinner, had a second glass poured for me but I left it on the table.  On the drive home the wine effect kicked in,  I felt drugged and I did NOT like it.  I went to bed early.  I know that alcohol makes me sleepy.  Maybe wine is something best saved for sharing laughs with good friends.  I'm not sure going forward that having wine with boring dinner company like I had last night is worth how I feel afterwards, even if it tastes good with dinner.  I really have to think about this - it would be a lifestyle change for me.  Am I ready for that? 

Tomorrow - Saturday - will be my 8th consecutive attempt at Day 1, and hopefully my 3rd day in a row without any added sugar (wine today excluded).   I feel good about my progress, albeit slow it is still progress.  It's me living my new healthy lifestyle practice.

7 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Tomorrow - Saturday - will be my 8th consecutive attempt at Day 1, and hopefully my 3rd day in a row without any added sugar (wine today excluded).   I feel good about my progress, albeit slow it is still progress.  It's me living my new healthy lifestyle practice.

I'm glad you are gaining insights and making progress.  Did you permanently eliminate anything from your diet after you reintro following your first Whole30?

@Ginsky thanks!  
My first Whole30 was last Sept-Oct and I didn’t do the reintro part at all, but I did learn to prepare meals that didn’t rely on wheat or grains.  I know wheat is problematic for me, I seem to be able to eat small amounts like one serving, but more than that at a time and my gi system gets out of its rhythm.

After many false starts through the winter, I finished my second Whole30 in June of this year, and purposefully planned my sugar reintroduction, which went well at first.  Then I just lost my self control, the sugar dragon took over and two weeks later I was eating mostly Whole 30 meals but also snacking uncontrollably on all things sweetened.

I think there may be other foods that I need to be wary of, but testing these has got to wait again until I am off of sugar for a while, and remain off of it. 

But no, I haven’t permanently eliminated anything... yet. I know I need to curb the sugar dependence.  It’s the biggest problem for me.   

W30 R3 Saturday August 8

M1: sweet potato hash with kale & prosciutto, 2 eggs

Snack: dates, cashews, walnuts, pecans

M2: favourite green salad

M3: chicken thighs in tomato sauce https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/one-skillet-chicken-cacciatore-paleo-whole30/ with white potatoes on the side

NSV: I did it, Day One - Done!  :)

21 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

But no, I haven’t permanently eliminated anything... yet. I know I need to curb the sugar dependence.  It’s the biggest problem for me.   

I highly recommend doing the reinto especially for grains, it could be that grains are too much of a gateway for the sugar beast.  Or maybe it's any one of the other foods putting you off balance and leading to the sugar issues.  It's not always obvious and the key to getting your sugar under control might be found from a very careful and methodical reintroduction.  

17 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

W30 R3 Saturday August 8

M1: sweet potato hash with kale & prosciutto, 2 eggs

Snack: dates, cashews, walnuts, pecans

M3: chicken thighs in tomato sauce https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/one-skillet-chicken-cacciatore-paleo-whole30/ with white potatoes on the side

NSV: I did it, Day One - Done!  :)

That's awesome, congratulations!  (also, I love sweet potato hash)

16 hours ago, Ginsky said:

I highly recommend doing the reinto especially for grains, it could be that grains are too much of a gateway for the sugar beast.

This is interesting. I have thought for a long time that I'm addicted to sugar (in some way - not to negate true addiction - I just haven't found a better way to describe it yet), and you've given me a way to rethink things, that grains or other foods may be a gateway drug.  With alcohol, I can limit myself, but the same doesn't happen with junk food.

Thanks for reinforcing the need to do "a very careful and methodical reintroduction."  I'm hoping this time will be more successful for me, that I will learn still more about myself when I get to the reintroduction phase again.

It seems with each passing day I'm understanding more about why so many people re-do  Whole30's. It's not necessarily because of personal failure, but rather to become more in touch with ourselves, in touch with what our bodies and minds need to live more wholly.  Striving for Food Freedom through a healthy lifestyle.

W30 R3 Sunday August 9, 2020

M1: green beans, white potatoes, one egg, all pan-fried in ghee

Snack: mixed nuts

M3: l/o chicken thighs in tomato veg sauce, white potatoes and onions fried in ghee, boiled carrots, steamed green beans

NSV: I didn't eat any sugar today :)

NSV: despite having two incredibly mentally stressful and frustrating days in a row, I remained compliant today. I did not bury my feelings in a tub of ice cream, or dull my emotions with junk food.  I know that those things don't make me feel better in the long run, and making a conscious effort to feed my body well just helped me to feel better about myself, especially since my me had been battered over the past two days.   

I did it!  Day 2 - Done :)

W30 R3 Monday August 10, 2020

M1: kale & prosciutto pan-fried in ghee with 2 eggs, green beans, orange, blueberries

Snack: NewYork Fries topped with gravy and cheese curd poutine

M3: zucchini noodles fried in avocado oil with garlic, topped with ground beef in marinara sauce with leftover chicken thighs and sauce mixed through

NSV: No sugar today!  

This afternoon DD17 and I went shopping at the mall.  Retail therapy for both of us.  It's our usual routine to stop for poutine when at the mall, and today's choice to break my Whole30 was planned once we decided that the day was going well and we were far from done and so needed a break.  I wanted more to have time with my daughter doing things we love rather than struggle to make a break time feel normal and fun.  And so we enjoyed the fries with poutine. ^_^ 

Tomorrow will be another Day 1...

11 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I wanted more to have time with my daughter doing things we love rather than struggle to make a break time feel normal and fun.  And so we enjoyed the fries with poutine. ^_^ 

Figuring out how to do this effectively and healthily is just as important for some of us as reduced inflammation, clear skin, high energy...I would consider this an NSV.  Yay you!  And now back to Day 1!  

5 hours ago, MadyVanilla said:

Figuring out how to do this effectively and healthily is just as important for some of us as reduced inflammation, clear skin, high energy...I would consider this an NSV.  Yay you! 

Thanks Mady.  I didn't consider it a victory, but you are right, it is.  I planned it, even though it was off-plan for Whole30, and that's one thing I'm eventually striving for, to be able to navigate the food courts, ice cream shops, junk food aisles etc without derailing my healthy self.  

W30 R3 Tuesday August 11, 2020

M1: diced sweet potato, kale, prosciutto and 2 eggs, all pan-fried in ghee

M2: 2-egg potato salad with 1/2 white potato, PK avocado mayo, steamed green beans, pineapple spear, 1/2 banana and raspberries fruit cup

Snack: pecans and dates

Snack: Reese peanut butter cup

M3: kalua pig https://nomnompaleo.com/post/111934821818/pressure-cooker-kalua-pig with white potatoes, green beans, cob of corn, pineapple spear

NSV: I fell off the W30 wagon again, but climbed back on for M3 (I'm not avoiding corn on the cob for this W30)

Whoops, I ate white potatoes for two meals in a row.  Time to cut back on potatoes again.  I'm trying to reduce having white potatoes to smaller portions occasionally.

Last night I dreamed that my weight was up exactly 43 pounds LOL.  I guess that peanut butter cup was haunting my sleep ;)  My son bought a bag full of them, and stored them in the pantry. I suppose he forgot? that I asked him kindly not to do that, the temptation is not something I want to have to deal with.  I put the bag of treats in his room, out of my sight. 

I have fallen into the habit of posting my daily entries on the following morning.  I'm going to make a conscious effort to get back to posting on the same day.  

Tomorrow is Day 1 again.  

W30 R3 Wednesday August 12, 2020

M1: breakfast hash with leftover pork and potatoes, pineapple, kale, egg

M2: green salad

Snack: dates sandwiched between pecan halves

M3: corn, leftover pork in non-compliant bbq sauce

Snack: ice cream cone

Starting over again tomorrow. That ice cream is rumbling in my belly and I'm feeling bloated and wondering was it worth it?  

W30 R3 Thursday August 13, 2020

M1: steamed green beans, kale, prosciutto, 2 eggs, ghee

Snack: Kit Kat bar and 1/2 Rolo bar

Snack: Reese peanut butter cup, a bit of ice cream

M2: potato-egg salad

Snack: vanilla ice cream

M3: carrot, leftover pork in non-compliant sauce

Well I'm sliding down the slippery slope.  I should know by now that when I start with sugar it doesn't end well.  Sigh.  It's not a total loss, my meals have been mostly compliant.  That's a victory.  One of my early goals was to be able to eat healthy balanced meals without having to put too much thought into it, and I'm doing that.  Thinking back to how I felt about putting together compliant meals before I even started on this W30 thing, I've come a long way! :)  

I'm going away for a mini vacation this weekend, and I won't stay compliant, eating in restaurants for most of the next three days.  But I will eat well. Fingers crossed ;)

I find that if I am eating compliant meals, I can come away from a brief interlude with sugar much more easily.  It sounds like you are doing that.  And I agree, the ability to put together a compliant meal with minimal thought is a huge victory!!  

Enjoy your mini vacation!  On Monday, we will both be ready to get back on board!  

Day 1 Monday August 17, 2020

M1: leftover shepherd's pie from the freezer

M2: sliced apples with almond butter, 1/2 banana

M3: spaghetti squash topped with fried onions and mushrooms, ground beef and Kirkland marinara sauce

Another start today. 

The food I ate on the weekend away was typical of how I've been eating for the past two months.  Meals were very healthy, but things fell apart between meals.  I bought a big tub of premium ice cream on Friday afternoon and ate most of it myself before check-out time on Sunday morning.  I also bought a single serve cup of ice cream when I was at the Dairy buying the tub, because I didn't want to limit myself to only 1 flavour all weekend (actual measure was about 2 cups - considered a 'small' size cone), I snacked on chips, drank sweetened ice tea, ginger ale, sangria, wine, and some rum & oj.  All between meals.   And today I was feeling pissy.  Too much sugar?

It is becoming increasingly challenging for me to remain isolated, because I simply don't have anyone in a close social bubble who I feel comfortable enough to call up to visit with in person.  Isolation has caused me to see that what I miss most right now is having deep meaningful conversation with interesting people.  I just don't get that in my house, and my mental health is definitely feeling it.  I'm hoping that by taking care of my physical health and lots of good self care I will weather this low feeling I'm battling right now.  I know it will pass, it always does.

I have absolutely no social engagements for the foreseeable future and so I'm hopeful that I will stick with Whole30 this time.  I'm most looking forward to Tiger Blood which should kick in before September, losing some belly fat, and losing weight overall.  I'm most concerned about my waist to hip ratio: W 34"/Hips 37.5" = WHR 0.906, which is considered obese and is an indicator of high risk of various diseases including diabetes and heart disease.  Other goals are to have steady energy all day, better sleep and getting out of bed before 7am, feeling properly rested.  I am also hoping to rid the habit I have of consistently snacking between lunch and dinner.  I achieved all of these things on my May Whole40, so I know its doable for me and I know how these goals feel when I'm living them.  So for the next 30 days I will try to give my full attention to this W30 thing and hope that once coVid is in the past that I will have many more of the skills I need to live my best life, as far as eating healthy foods goes.  

I'm ready for this.

NSV: I didn't snack between meals today

NSV: My mood was super low this morning, but I didn't use junk food to dull my emotions.  Instead I sat with my emotions, felt the tears, considered why I was feeling like I was, and carried on.  I already feel MUCH better.

Day One - Done :)

13 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

It is becoming increasingly challenging for me to remain isolated, because I simply don't have anyone in a close social bubble who I feel comfortable enough to call up to visit with in person.  Isolation has caused me to see that what I miss most right now is having deep meaningful conversation with interesting people.  I just don't get that in my house, and my mental health is definitely feeling it.  I'm hoping that by taking care of my physical health and lots of good self care I will weather this low feeling I'm battling right now.  I know it will pass, it always does.

I think the pandemic has made me realize that even though I'm an introvert, connections to others are so very important to my well-being.  You are doing good things for yourself, preparing nourishing foods, concentrating on wellness goals.  It's so challenging to actually feel emotions and not be overwhelmed by them or try to avoid them in some way.  I love that you noted that as an NSV.  

20 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I feel like many of my close friendships slid into neutral when COVID hit. Heck, those friendships probably aren't in neutral anymore, but are kind of rolling backwards down the hill as weeks melt into months, and months merge into one amorphous blob. Yes.... those connections are so important. Every bit as good for us as leafy greens. 

Relating completely to what you've said, and I wish more people were talking about this. Thank you for reflecting on your experience.

For me, just eating compliantly on W30 is plenty restrictive, so I'm not restricting myself in any other way. If I want to snack between meals, I just eat W30 snacks. I'm a grazer with a sweet tooth, so I snack on fruit. Maybe it's "too much" fruit, like over a serving size, but it's better than my normal go-to of cookies or candy. Today I ate waaaaay too many pistachios, but it wasn't chips or friend pickles dipped in ranch dressing, so I give myself a pass. I wonder if you tried allowing yourself to snack as much as you wanted on compliant foods if that would make a difference? Progress not perfection! :)

Archived