Summer Squash Scampi

kathrynwxyz

Currently accepting suggestions for a better title! I used a lot of the same ingredients that I would use to make regular shrimp scampi, so this is what I'm calling it. I think adding shrimp to this would be weird texture-wise, but who am I to limit you. ;)

You don't have to use tomato paste, but if you can, you should; it enhances the flavor. 

Summer Squash Scampi

Serves 3 as a side

1 C cherry tomatoes, halved

3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 shallot, minced (or 1/3 of a regular white onion)

1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp dried)

3 yellow squash or zucchini, ribboned

1 Tbsp parsley, chopped

1 Tbsp capers

Juice of 1 lemon

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, adjust to preference

OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup white wine (IF you’re outside of the first 30 days and allowing alcohol)

Preheat oven to 375. Halve the tomatoes and gently toss with garlic, shallot, tomato paste, and oregano. Roast for 20 mins in a shallow pan. The pan should just accommodate the tomatoes in a single layer - don’t use a pan that’s too big. Halfway thru cook time, stir up the ingredients to keep the underside of the tomatoes from burning.

Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, make “ribbons” from the squash. Ribbon into the core as far as you can, and discard the seed pods as much as possible.

Sauté the ribbons in a wide saucepan with parsley and salt over medium heat. After 5 mins, the squash should have released some moisture. Add the tomato mixture, lemon juice, capers, and white wine (if using). Stir to incorporate. The squash is done when the ribbons become slightly translucent. 

Bon appetit!

Archived