RachelR- Start Date May 4, 2020

RachelR

Hello!  

This is my second time with Whole30 and today is Day 0.  My first attempt was in 2018 and I ended up doing a Whole60.  After some time of reintroducing foods and still maintaining habits of cooking, etc. I eventually fell of the wagon (so to speak).  I've found myself at an even heavier weight than I think ever in my lifetime.  Tired ALL the time.  Difficulty sleeping.  Out of breath with simple activity/movement (especially stairs).  Achy.  Moody.  And just overall not happy with where I am.

My experience with my first Whole30/60 was empowering.  I saw positive results not only on the scale but off as well (although never really got the energy I was looking for- perhaps I needed to go longer).

I'm hoping committing to the program again will jump start some healthy habits, build my confidence, and give me back control over how my body feels.  In the past couple of weeks I started walking on my treadmill for a half hour each day.  I intend to continue to do this along with focusing on eating healthier, whole foods!

Tomorrow, May 4th will be my start date.  I grocery shopped and meal planned today for the week.  Weighed in and took a "before" picture.  Still want to take some measurements but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to do that.  I'm a bit nervous but also optimistic.  

And my journey starts again....IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.9942221caf9c28b66d2f5bfd901b76bc.jpg

Day 2 has come to an end...

Tiredness, feelings of being hungry (which I'm sure is just my sugar dragon rearing it's head as well as mindless activity), headaches, as well as hope and pride have summarized my first two days with this round of Whole30.  Just gonna stick to my plan and ride out this hangover phase.  

I did finally take measurements today (no- not got back on the scale...that puppy is put away until day 31).  (Measured myself so they may not be exactly accurate)

Waist @ belly button- 53.5"

Waist @ narrowest point- 45"

Hips- 54"

Thighs- 

• Right- 29 3/4"
  • Left- 30'"

Calves-

• Right- 181/4"
  • Left- 18 3/4"

Biceps (making a muscle)- 

• Right- 17 1/2"
  • Left- 17 1/4"

Wrists-

• Right- 7 1/4"
  • Left- 7 1/4"

Neck- 15"

Bust- 49"

Chest 43"

Day 3- Difficult time waking up today- kept hitting snooze.  But, was able to still make my breakfast and made it to work early.  It was nice that I planned the night before and had my lunch packed up and ready to go.  (Know my weaknesses). 

I feel like I struggled with this with my first Whole30 two years ago but....it is the struggle with wondering if I'm feeling hungry or if it is just cravings and boredom throughout the day.  Other than day 1 (where I really wanted a sonic blast) I haven't had any specific cravings.  I feel that I'm eating enough at each meal and have had a snack each day typically in the afternoon (celery w/ almond butter, apple/banana with almond butter, Larabar).  Tomorrow I'm gonna try 3 eggs for breakfast instead of 2 with my spinach salad and strawberries and see if that helps keeps me satiated more.  

Day 4 has come to an end.  I feel like the 3 eggs instead of 2 with breakfast held me over much better to lunch today.  I'm sure with time that 2 will be more than enough but for now I may stick with 3.  I had a snack again in the afternoon around 3 or so (small apple, banana, with almond butter) and I was still getting a headache and pretty hungry as I got home in the evening.  Ended up having another banana as I waited for dinner to cook and then my dinner (enchilada stuffed sweet potato and side salad) helped.  Took some Advil for the headache.  Didn't really feel- "kill all the things" today but maybe because that is because I spent most of the day to myself.  Still very tired.  But also very proud of myself and my commitment to the plan and my health.  This weekend will be a 3 and a half day one for me and then lead into a day working from home.  So- I'm gonna have to come up with ways to keep myself from not focusing on eating.  Have to mull it over more tomorrow.  'night

Well....  It's day 8 and still on track.  Here are some random thoughts:

Spent most of the weekend sleeping or lounging around.  And had today off work as well, been slightly productive with some things.  

I feel like my tastebuds are changing a bit.  The Tessemae's Balsamic Vinegarette dressing didn't taste like much at the beginning of this whole 30 but not I'm appreciating the flavor now.  

Having some lower back pains almost every day, not sure if it's food related or not.  

Still having some difficulty falling asleep at night but I think I'm sleeping more soundly once I am asleep.  

I'm excited for what I have meal planned this week as well.    Just need to see if I can find some ground pork for one of my recipes.  

Still walking 30 minutes a day on my treadmill.  Speed is about 2.7-2.8 miles/hour.  

Day 12 is coming to a close.  

I was SUPER excited about my lunch the past two days (and most of my meals this week).  I made a recipe I had found on Pinterest for blackened chicken avocado berry salad with a homemade raspberry dressing.  Oh it made me so happy.  It was so delicious.  And it kept me full.  I'm thinking of making it a weekly option at least while berries are in season.  So delicious!!!  I can't say it enough.

In regards to my energy and sleep which is one of the main reasons (in addition to trying to be healthier and lose weight) for doing Whole30.... it's pretty inconsistent at this time.  I've had a couple nights where I slept really well but not feeling ready to get up when my alarm goes off.  Still fatigued throughout the day as well.  Some nights where I sleep very poorly and restless.  And some nights where it seems to take FOREVER to fall asleep but once I do, I sleep like a rock.  

I know that I'm making a lot of positive changes and I'm proud of myself for that.  It is difficult to not feel the changes yet and I know it will take time.  But, so ready to feel and look better.  

I'm still walking a half an hour a day on the treadmill and still around 2.7-2.8 miles/hour.  I've been contemplating adding in additional exercise but I think I'll just continue to focus on nutrition and walking for now.  

@RachelR the recipe for the salad sounds amazing.  I would love the link if you get a chance to post it.  I love snooping through everyone’s food logs for food ideas.  :D  

Kudos to you for incorporating a regular exercise routine during your whole 30.  

On 5/16/2020 at 3:00 AM, BabyBear said:

@RachelR the recipe for the salad sounds amazing.  I would love the link if you get a chance to post it.  I love snooping through everyone’s food logs for food ideas.  :D  

Kudos to you for incorporating a regular exercise routine during your whole 30.  

Thanks!  I had committed to walking a half an hour with my mom before I started this Whole30.  It's a little way for us to stay connected thru this COVID-19 pandemic and work on our health too.  She lives in Michigan and I'm down in South Carolina.  We typically walk during Wheel of Fortune and are on the phone together.  It's been helpful to have that accountability because there have been SO MANY days that I didn't want to do it and I wouldn't have if it was just me.  

As for the salad.... it's so delicious...  Here is the link:  https://unboundwellness.com/blackened-chicken-avocado-berry-salad-paleo-whole30-aip/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes&utm_term=363867170_11659002_398228. I do not care for cucumber so I leave it out.  And I omit the honey in the dressing.  Let me know what you think if you try it.  I think it is perfect for spring/summer.  So refreshing.

Well.... I'm on day 16 of my Whole30 and woo hoo for being over half way done but honestly I feel like I'm still on day 6.  Still having aches and pains and other than, what seems like a fluke now, a day or so of good sleep and energy- my sleep has overall been very poor.  Difficulty falling asleep, tossing and turning throughout the night.  Irritable throughout the day because I'm tired.  This wasn't unusual pre-whole 30 and one of the big things that I want to see a change in.  I guess it's just extra frustrating because I hoped to have felt more positive changes by now.  I'll keep trucking along but honestly I've had thoughts the past few days of "what is the point?" if I'm going to feel bad then I may as well indulge myself.  Although honestly, I have found the food I've made for myself much more tasty than the constant fast food pick ups and deliveries I was getting before.  I also keep reminding myself that my Whole30 timeline is probably going to be a bit off the norm because of many years of eating unhealthy and lack of exercise and being on the high side of the 200s.  So, I'm reminding myself to stay patient because I did see results a few years go when I tried this before.  And more than likely I may need to make this a Whole60 or Whole90 to really reap my scale and non scale victories.  

1 hour ago, RachelR said:

Well.... I'm on day 16 of my Whole30 and woo hoo for being over half way done but honestly I feel like I'm still on day 6.  Still having aches and pains and other than, what seems like a fluke now, a day or so of good sleep and energy- my sleep has overall been very poor.  Difficulty falling asleep, tossing and turning throughout the night.  Irritable throughout the day because I'm tired.  This wasn't unusual pre-whole 30 and one of the big things that I want to see a change in.  I guess it's just extra frustrating because I hoped to have felt more positive changes by now.  I'll keep trucking along but honestly I've had thoughts the past few days of "what is the point?" if I'm going to feel bad then I may as well indulge myself.  Although honestly, I have found the food I've made for myself much more tasty than the constant fast food pick ups and deliveries I was getting before.  I also keep reminding myself that my Whole30 timeline is probably going to be a bit off the norm because of many years of eating unhealthy and lack of exercise and being on the high side of the 200s.  So, I'm reminding myself to stay patient because I did see results a few years go when I tried this before.  And more than likely I may need to make this a Whole60 or Whole90 to really reap my scale and non scale victories.  

I’m so getting what you’re feeling.  I’m three days ahead of you but I feel I haven’t achieved the progress I was hoping for at this point.  You’re doing everything right.  I find it helpful to think about what I’m doing for myself and my body, and trying to focus on Whole30 in the present, not what it was like for me before or what I’m hoping for.  I know, it isn’t easy sometimes...

Shadow

Today is day 21 and I am struggling.  Yesterday I had some digestive issues- I'm thinking something I ate didn't react well but I didn't eat anything unusual that I haven't had over the past several weeks.  Maybe just a bug?  Who knows?  But today, I'm nervous to eat anything but also I need some fuel for my body.  So, I'm trying some eggs.

Had weird food dreams last night of being out and fast food is the only option to eat.  Struggled with how to make the healthiest choice and was close to just saying screw it and eating whatever I wanted.  This could be related to as I scrolled through social media yesterday as well as watching tv, etc.- I still find myself very drawn to the junk food and when I see it I start craving it.  Also the simplicity of just going thru a drive through rather than planning out and cooking meals.  But, I quickly move past the ads and tell myself no matter how good that Reeses Sonic Blast looks and sounds- I always had tummy trouble after eating ice cream and it isn't worth it.  

My sleep is still very much hit and miss.  I think Friday night- I barely slept although did have about a 3 hour nap Friday afternoon.  Last night, once I got to sleep- I felt like I slept soundly (amongst the weird dreams) and when I woke up around 8 or so- while I wasn't ready to get up and be productive- I didn't close my eyes and fall back asleep.  So, that is how this week has been- a few nights of horrible sleep and a few of difficulty falling asleep but once I did, felt like I slept well.  Still not much extra energy throughout the day however.

I remained pretty irritable throughout the week this past week as well.  

May be some joint aches are a bit better at times but not consistently.  

Definitely feeling like I need to keep going beyond the 30 days to see more of the non-scale victories and more time to overcome these junk food/convenience cravings and habits.  

39 minutes ago, RachelR said:

Today is day 21 and I am struggling.

Funny, I had a tough day on my Day 22, so very close to your Day 21 timeline.  I wonder if it's a common thing?  I don't see any mention of it in the Day by Day book though.  

Take heart, it will get better!  I hope you keep going...

Shadow

Day 22, my stomach issues from Saturday seem to have resolved.  So yay!  Although with it being an extra day off work, I didn't get around to eating breakfast until almost noon.  I've been keeping my breakfasts pretty much the same (2 or 3 scrambled eggs, spinach salad w/ strawberries and Tessemae's balsamic vinegar dressing).  I meal planned today and decided to add in recipes that I know I REALLY enjoy and get excited about- so yes, the blackened chicken, avocado, berry salad is back this week.  I also really enjoy the rosemary mustard pork chop recipe from the Whole 30 Fast and Easy cookbook.  I'm also going to try a new recipe this week for chili lime shrimp (gonna make them into lettuce wrap tacos).  Also, when I was grocery shopping today, I was trying to find some additional "convenience" type meats that I can just heat up for quick lunches/dinners (I've been using turkey burger and chili lime chicken patties from Trader Joes typically).  I have found it soooo difficult to find sausage, deli meat, etc that is compliant.  Anyway.... after looking at the ingredient list for every type of turkey deli meat and sausages at my local affordable grocery store (LIDL)- I decided to try a new place- Sprouts because I saw where they carry Pedersons meats and I hadn't tried them yet either.  Again- still difficult to find turkey deli meat but I finally did.  I also bought some Whole30 compliant hotdogs and some Pedersons breakfast sausage patties (Sprouts really didn't have a big selection of anything).  Also bought some prosciutto, more Tessemae's classic ranch dressing and some Tessemae's individual to-go dressings.   6 items and it cost me over $40! More than all my fresh produce for the week (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, spinach, spring mix, avocados, bananas, etc., etc.)  Ahhhh.... I've definitely exceeded my proposed grocery budget this month.  But, with me being a family of one- it should last me awhile if I can repackage some of the meat to freeze for later.  I wonder if these brands ever go on sale?  Anyone have any recommendations for meat items that are a bit quicker- kind of heat and eat?  

@RachelR at my Costco, they carry fresh additions ready-to-eat fully cooked CHICKEN BREAST STRIPS.  These are what get me through many days.  They are seasoned, so an open package will last almost a whole week.  Ooh, I see its a Canadian product, but maybe its exported to your coordinates...

Alternatively, cook up one or two chicken breasts to keep on hand.  They turn out nicely in an Instant Pot, either for cut, cubed or shredded chicken, you just adjust the controls a bit.

I found compliant sausages at a small chain grocery store that focuses on healthy foods, hardly any junk at all in the store.  Maybe there is a similar store near you?  Or perhaps there is a local butcher that will make some for you without fillers or sugar.  

I definitely get it with the higher costs.  I spent $100 at a specialty health food shop and carried everything out in a wee box.  But it was worth it because I don't want to make too many of my dressings or condiments right now.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

Shadow

5 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

@ShadowInTheKitchenBut it was worth it because I don't want to make too many of my dressings or condiments right now.

I am with you on the not making own condiments, etc.  And I stay pretty stocked up on chicken, pork chops, shrimp and turkey burgers.  I appreciate the suggestions.  When I cook, I usually make enough for 2 or 3 meals so I have leftovers for lunch so that does make some meals easy.  I guess I was just looking for more variety.  When I last did Whole30 I know I found some flavored sausages somewhere that were compliant and they were good.  Just haven't had luck coming across them again.  I think I need to check out WholeFoods again, I think they carry a lot of compliant options.  

Day 23- tried some new recipes.  Made this Chili Lime Shrimp- https://realsimplegood.com/chili-lime-shrimp/ tonight for dinner.  I served mine as "tacos" on hearts of romaine with peppers and onions I cooked in the same pan after the shrimp were done, sliced up some avocado on them too, and salsa as well as the sauce and an extra squeeze of lime juice.  For a side I made a "Mexican" cauliflower rice (I just cooked up some diced onions, added some frozen Trader Joes cauliflower rice and then stirred in some salsa.  I don't think it tasted great.  Need to figure out a way to make cauliflower rice taste better.  It was a bit messy to eat but it tasted so good.  I have left overs for tomorrow and think I'm just gonna have them on top of mixed greens as a salad rather than making the little lettuce taco boats.  

Also for lunch I put together a version of these apple turkey lettuce wraps: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/46654546128448556/.  I used the romaine lettuce hearts and then layered on prosciutto, thinly sliced apply, and deli turkey meat.  Then I put on yellow mustard and a bit of the Tessemae's buffalo ranch dressing.  Rolled them up.  Had the rest of the apple as a side with raw veggies (peppers, carrots, and celery) and used the rest of the individual pack of Tessemae's as a veggie dipping sauce.  It was also very delicious.  And a good cold meal rather than having something heated up.  

I do find that I'm still hungry (I think in between meals) but it also could be that I need more water or that I'm bored since I worked from home today.  Had a snack of a banana and a Lara bar around 6ish (didn't eat dinner until close to 9).

While I didn't expend much energy today, this is the first Tuesday (my work from home days) that I did not either take a nap on my lunch break or after I clocked out for the day) so I find that an accomplishment.

Day 27....  I think I had more energy on Thursday and Friday this week.  Today was filled with a lot of naps though.  But I woke up much earlier than I typically do on a Saturday.  My sleep still isn't where I'd like it to be but I do think it is improved from before this round of Whole30.  Still see pictures or advertisements for non compliant foods and have cravings but able to move past it.  However, I am definitely going to keep eating compliant for a total of at least 60 days (maybe 90).  We'll see.  I am excited to weigh in and measure next week and see those results.  I had a dream last night that I stepped on the scale and then realized my 30 days weren't over and looked away and stepped off before the number could come up.  Almost to the end....I'm really proud of myself.  

Today was day 30!!!!  Yay!!!  I've said this before but gonna say it again- I'm planning on continuing to do another 30 days as my cravings still pop up as well as my sleep, energy, and aches are still too much of a presence and I want to see if giving my gut more time to heal will be beneficial.  I've struggled a bit with identifying non-scale victories I guess because the ones I was hoping for haven't come to fruition yet.  :)  But, It is a victory that I made all but one meal at home over the past 30 days.  I ordered a whole30 bowl from chipotle once.  Typically, I'd feel so spent and tired after work that I wouldn't feel like cooking so I'd just order something from somewhere or go through a drive through.  So- in that respect, I guess I do have a bit more energy.  lol. It is a victory to stick to my commitment.  It is a victory that I was able to say no to temptations and find other ways to cope with the stress and emotions (although sometimes sleeping throughout the day or staying immersed in social media doesn't seem very healthy either).  

And let's be honest... I'm really looking forward to seeing what my scale victory is as well.  That will wait until tomorrow morning.  But, I did take measurements tonight and there is a slight difference in some areas.  So I'll take it!!!

Here are the results:  (Measured myself so they may not be exactly accurate). S=start; C=current

Waist @ belly button- S= 53.5"; C= 52"

Waist @ narrowest point- S= 45"; C= 44 1/4"

Hips- S= 54"; C= 52 3/4"

Thighs- 

• Right- S= 29 3/4"; C=29 1/2"
  • Left- S= 30"; C= 29" (ish???)

Calves-

• Right- S= 18 1/4"; C=17 3/4"
  • Left- S= 18 3/4"; C= 17 5/8"

Biceps (making a muscle)- 

• Right- S= 17 1/2"; C=17"
  • Left- S= 17 1/4"; C= 16 7/8"

Wrists-

• Right- S= 7 1/4"; C= 7/14"
  • Left- S= 7 1/4"; C= 7 1/4"

Neck- S= 15"; C= 14 3/4"

Bust- S= 49"; C= 49"

Chest S= 43"; C= 42 1/4"

30 days!  Way to go!  I hope that you feel awesome about those numbers <3

I saw that you are looking for a cauli-rice recipe. I see in your posts that you have the Whole 30 Fast and Easy cookbook. There is a recipe in there for veggie confetti cauli rice that is very good.  It calls for onions, 'shrooms, carrots, sweet pepper and zucchini, and parsley & garlic powder for seasoning, among a few other things.  I love it.  To make it faster, I use shredded carrots from the grocery store (they look like match sticks) and I spiralize the zucchini and peppers so its easier to chop them all fine and achieve the confetti look, but you don't have to do that.  I also use frozen cauliflower rice from Costco.  This recipe is worth the cost of the book IMO lol. 

BTW thanks for posting your recipes.  That berry salad - I'm going to try it.

I'll be following you as you continue on with your next 30 days, wishing you more success! 

Shadow

So the scale results are in.....

IMG_5193.thumb.JPG.5cf66b5c04e2aaf3f76835eb4919d476.JPG

I feel like I still have a long journey ahead to feel healthier and more confident but this has been an amazing start.  

I guess today is like day- 34 now.

I've tried a couple new things- made this potato salad recipe. https://thebetteredblondie.com/classic-potato-salad-paleo-gluten-free/. It's not bad but potato salad I think is just one of those recipes that is hard to please everyone.  I'd make this again but I would probably try to make my own mayo instead of buying the primal kitchen.  For over $8 a jar- I felt like I had to use most of the jar just for this one recipe.  Also, I feel like there was too much of the dressing/sauce.  My potatoes and other things (eggs, celery) were swimming in the mayo mix.  I thought about cooking more potatoes but the recipe made MORE than enough servings for just me.  I'd suggest if you make it to halve the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, mustard, etc).   To go with my potato salad this week I tried Applegate turkey hot dogs (again- Ok, I think I'll try the beef ones they make and see if I like them any better).  I also made BBQ chicken legs with Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ sauce.  They were pretty delicious.  The sauce has a little kick or bite to it (in my opinion). They make another flavor (golden, I think) and I may try that at some time in the future--- maybe some BBQ shredded pork?

I also tried this Whole30 version of the Starbucks Pink Drink- https://40aprons.com/healthy-pink-drink-strawberry-refresher-whole30/  I know it's like a substitute but I've completed my initial 30 days so I thought I'd give it a go and try to find a different refreshing beverage.  Mine turned out looking very cute and light pink.  But I did not care for the taste at all.  I might try again with a different brand of coconut milk.  But I think I just miss the sweet and refreshing taste of the original version (I don't even want to think how much added sugars that has to it).  

Oh- I've also been sleeping A LOT better the past 3-4 days.  Which has been nice.  I think part of it is changes to my food but I also started reading a little bit before bed instead of staying on my phone. 

I've been struggling a bit the past couple days with sticking to the meals I had planned and snacking a bit more.  Things like forgetting to take meat out of the freezer to thaw or it being hot so not wanting to use the stove or oven.  While I've still stayed Whole30 compliant, I'm a bit disappointed and need to get back on track.  It's these little things that usually add up and next thing you know I'm back on the fast food train.   This time I want it to be different.  So, I need to recommit to sticking to my plans and get back on it.  

Archived