Love, Nurture and Respect, starting January 7/13

Melelina

Hi y'all!

I started my first Whole30 yesterday.

Why am I here? Well...after going through menopause, I gained a bunch of weight. I hated myself! So I started making changes about five or six years ago - first with Weight Watchers, followed by more refinement :unsure: - eating every 2-3 hours, as well as doing carb timing (starchy carbs only after my workout), high protein and lots of veggies (but very little fat). I got leaner and dropped some weight. However, once I started to look better, I became obsessed with my nutrition and exercise. For several years, I have weighed, measured and tracked every little morsel that went into my mouth, and counted every calorie that I burned with my exercise. I started wearing a Bodymedia device that further drove my obsession. In doing that, I drove my body to a pretty big flare-up of some digestive issues. I refused to pay attention when my body started sending me some signals that I needed to back off - from my running, from my high fiber and low fat diet. Things got bad enough that I had to have some medical tests done to rule out some serious stuff. Fortunately, they came back clear, which forced me to look at my nutrition. Lately, a near-constant complaint coming from both my intestines and my tummy have driven me to Whole 30. (I have always had reflex but that was almost non-existent until recently, as long as I stayed away from my triggers.)

So here I am.

My goal for the month is to learn to listen to the signals my body is giving me, not ignoring them. Love nurture and respect!

Because of my issues, I had to take some time off from my workouts, and I started eating more carbs than I am used to because they settled well. So I am up ~10 pounds over where I would like to be. We head off in 9 weeks for a wonderful vacation, and while I know the Whole30 isn't about weight loss, I really would like to drop some (if not all) that I gained. But my priority is to start feeling better.

I spent last week getting familiar with the site, downloading a bunch of recipes, getting groceries, and cleaning out my cupboards. I tend to cook pretty simply, but it has been fun exploring some new foods and recipes. I have some bone broth cooking in my crockpot today.

My husband is doing this with me. He knows how lousy I have felt over the last while, and is along for the support, and to improve his health as well. We both eat what I would consider healthy (at least that is what I thought prior to Whole30) but after reading ISWF and doing some more research, I am discovering that there are still lots of ways that we don't eat healthy. We need to clean things up, for sure!

I am back to my running, after nearly a month off. So yesterday and today, I have struggled a bit with what to eat before and after my workout. I started by having some coconut cream in my tea, two teaspoons total, followed by two hard boiled eggs. Then I did my 5k run.

I then had Meal One, and took the dog for her walk ~35 minutes right after. That meal was kale made crispy with 1 tsp. of olive oil, topped with two eggs; 1/2 avocado, and a small dish of blueberries. Today I added half a yellow pepper to that mix. Yesterday, I was fine. Today I am feeling pretty tired after our walk, and I feel like I am hungry again quite soon after. So I don't know if what I am doing around my workout is the right thing to do.

Yesterday, Meal Two was 1/2 can of salmon (mixed with apple cider vinegar) served in a lettuce wrap; five large olives; some cucumber and yellow pepper. I plan on having that today as well, but will increase the amount of veggies.

Meal Three last night was thai curry, made with chicken, cauliflower, snow peas, green beans and one small can of coconut milk for the entire recipe. I also cooked a wedge of Jamaican pumpkin, beaten with some cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut milk. There is enough for us to have for supper again tonight. I have never tried anything unfamiliar before. I saw the Jamaican pumpkin at the grocery store and decided to give it a whirl.

I love my red wine, but about a year and a half ago, I stopped drinking during the week (still had it on the weekends) and substituted Crio Bru (cacao beans) instead. I am used to having a French press full while we watch tv every night. However, I was using Almond Breeze and Splenda in it. Last night, I used coconut milk - maybe half a can total. (Is that too much coconut milk - 'cause I had it in my curry, in the pumpkin and then again with my Crio?) Anyway, it tasted awful! My husband said that no one is making me drink it, and that's true, but my response was that I would like to be able to change my taste buds so I don't need the Splenda. That isn't going to happen if I stop drinking it. (I know some people might consider it to be a dragon in disguise, but I would rather keep that dragon, instead of busting out the red wine monster. For the month of December, I had gone back to having wine every night so I kind of feel like I am making that guy go back to sleep again.)

I had a fitful night's sleep last night. Even though I had a decent amount for my supper, when we went to bed, I was hungry. My reflux is worse at night time and I find I sleep better if I have something small in my tummy to keep it settled. Normally, my bedtime snack would be cottage cheese w nut butter, or some oatmeal. I laid there thinking about food for at least an hour, and every time I got up to pee (three times last night :blink: ), I thought about food. I would have gotten back up and had something but I didn't know what to have??? When I told my husband this morning that I slept poorly because I was hungry, and mentioned not knowing what to have for a snack, he said we are supposed to be eating only three meals a day. I quickly snapped back at him that if it meant I couldn't sleep, I was going to have a snack.

Do you become more fat adapted if you make yourself be hungry for awhile? Or conversely, if you eat more than 3 meals, are you slowing down that passage to fat adaptation?

Also, how do you know when you start becoming more fat adapted? Is this something that is going to happen in this 30 days or does it take longer sometimes?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! How are you??

Can I jump in here with you?? I'm starting today actually but I'll back date it to yesterday!

I did a Whole30 back in October and droped about 13 pounds then another four or so in the next two weeks after that... Then i got called for jury duty on a big trial here in Philadelphia which threw my plans way off and I've put about 8-10 pounds back on.

I loved the program and felt like a new man!!

I've had digestive issues also over the past 12 years or so and a few surgeries... hope you're feeling better!

Good luck today!!

Greg

Hi there,

I'm sure there is someone more well-versed in the science than I am, but I can totally relate to your journey. I have an ongoing discussion in my head about if I'm doing this 100% correctly, and what if I have an almond or two before bed, am I completely screwing it up? Here's the conclusion I came up with - this is a process, I am in the early stages of this particular process (Whole30), and it is going to take some tweaks to get it right. My hope is that by the end of the 30 days, I'll have a better picture of what I need on any given day, and by taking all the crap out of my system by following the challenge, I can make those decisions with a clear head and tummy not clogged with high-calorie, nutrient-poor, processed junk.

I wouldn't get too OCD about when you become fat adapted or if you eat more than 3 meals "at first" while you are getting comfortable with your new style of eating. I just posted in my intro that just yesterday (offical day 8, but I actually started my challenge 5 days earlier, so it's my unofficial day 13), I didn't have the "out of gas" feeling during my 60 minute intense workout that I have expereinced as of late. I'm a half-marathon runner, and though I was tired and sweaty, I didn't feel sick or wiped out, just a good "long run" kind of tired. I also am able to go longer periods of time now without eating and not have that "I need to eat something now" feeling. And I have had days where raw, unsalted almonds were my friends - but not every day.

Play with it a bit, see if you can hit upon the right amount of fat/protein/carbs so that when you go to bed, you feel good. For me, if that means I have 10 almonds before lights out, then that's what it means, at least for today.

Good luck!

Michelle

My goal for the month is to learn to listen to the signals my body is giving me, not ignoring them. Love nurture and respect!

Melelina, so glad you are here. As I read the title of your post, I was reminded of wedding vows I've heard couples exchange over the years.... "to have and to hold.... to love and respect..." and then I thought, "What a wonderful intention to bring to the Whole 30." May we all be so committed to our own vitality.

Greg, glad to have you starting too! Cheers and success to you!

• Moderators

Melelina, I think you need to eat more throughout the day. Eating a good supper after eating smallish meals usually doesn't work for me; I get hungry that night.

Eating an extra meal can be a good idea. I ate as many as 5 to 6 meals per day for almost a year after starting to eat the Whole30 way. I was a slow learner, but expecting to be comfortable on 3 meals per day within the first 30 days of adopting this approach is probably too much to expect. You can eat a snack anytime you are hungry.

Eating too little does not make you become fat adapted more quickly. Your body develops the capacity to burn fat more efficiently as you stop giving it an abundance of carbs as fuel. You do not need to eliminate all carbs or even eat low-carb to become fat adapted. You just have to avoid over-eating carbs. Most people feel and perform better while eating some carbs. I sleep better with some carbs in me. I was thinking that your first two meals might have been better if you had some pumpkin or sweet potato added.

Although a mini-meal with protein and veggies is the ideal snack, I sometimes eat a can of sardines late at night if I feel hungry. It is not a big amount of food, but it is filling and gets me through the night well.

Of course you can! The more the merrier!

I am feeling a bit tired today and I also have some brain fog...like I really don't want to have to concentrate on anything. How about you?

Hey! How are you??

Can I jump in here with you?? I'm starting today actually but I'll back date it to yesterday!

I did a Whole30 back in October and droped about 13 pounds then another four or so in the next two weeks after that... Then i got called for jury duty on a big trial here in Philadelphia which threw my plans way off and I've put about 8-10 pounds back on.

I loved the program and felt like a new man!!

I've had digestive issues also over the past 12 years or so and a few surgeries... hope you're feeling better!

Good luck today!!

Greg

Thanks for weighing in, Tom. I am afraid of overeating my carbs. After spending the past couple of years only eating them post workout, knowing how much and when to have them is a bit of a challenge. I was thinking with yesterday's meals, since I had the Jamaican pumpkin for supper, that was likely enough carbs. You don't think so?

Sardines for a snack? Hmmm...I think I will keep trying to come up with something else. Not sure what though. I need something before I go to bed that will settle well. It is a balance with reflux on what to have in my tummy at bedtime. I seem to need something but on this program, I haven't figured it exactly what yet.

Thanks for reassuring me on the number of meals too! That is good to know.

Melelina, I think you need to eat more throughout the day. Eating a good supper after eating smallish meals usually doesn't work for me; I get hungry that night.

Eating an extra meal can be a good idea. I ate as many as 5 to 6 meals per day for almost a year after starting to eat the Whole30 way. I was a slow learner, but expecting to be comfortable on 3 meals per day within the first 30 days of adopting this approach is probably too much to expect. You can eat a snack anytime you are hungry.

Eating too little does not make you become fat adapted more quickly. Your body develops the capacity to burn fat more efficiently as you stop giving it an abundance of carbs as fuel. You do not need to eliminate all carbs or even eat low-carb to become fat adapted. You just have to avoid over-eating carbs. Most people feel and perform better while eating some carbs. I sleep better with some carbs in me. I was thinking that your first two meals might have been better if you had some pumpkin or sweet potato added.

Although a mini-meal with protein and veggies is the ideal snack, I sometimes eat a can of sardines late at night if I feel hungry. It is not a big amount of food, but it is filling and gets me through the night well.

Thank you. It wasn't until I realized - in driving myself towards perfection (you know..."a little more...a little better...every day") that I was actually abusing my body. I am just happy that it was nothing serious and now I need to r.e.l.a.x.... :)...No more obsession!!!

Melelina, so glad you are here. As I read the title of your post, I was reminded of wedding vows I've heard couples exchange over the years.... "to have and to hold.... to love and respect..." and then I thought, "What a wonderful intention to bring to the Whole 30." May we all be so committed to our own vitality.

Greg, glad to have you starting too! Cheers and success to you!

Thanks, Michelle. You are so right...this is indeed a process. I can't expect to get it perfect the first go round. Good to know that the workouts get a bit easier. My workout today (and yesterday) was fine. It was after that I felt like I had run out of gas. And I am going to have a snack tonight. I just don't know what it is going to be. I need my sleep. I don't cope well with anything when I am tired.

Hi there,

I'm sure there is someone more well-versed in the science than I am, but I can totally relate to your journey. I have an ongoing discussion in my head about if I'm doing this 100% correctly, and what if I have an almond or two before bed, am I completely screwing it up? Here's the conclusion I came up with - this is a process, I am in the early stages of this particular process (Whole30), and it is going to take some tweaks to get it right. My hope is that by the end of the 30 days, I'll have a better picture of what I need on any given day, and by taking all the crap out of my system by following the challenge, I can make those decisions with a clear head and tummy not clogged with high-calorie, nutrient-poor, processed junk.

I wouldn't get too OCD about when you become fat adapted or if you eat more than 3 meals "at first" while you are getting comfortable with your new style of eating. I just posted in my intro that just yesterday (offical day 8, but I actually started my challenge 5 days earlier, so it's my unofficial day 13), I didn't have the "out of gas" feeling during my 60 minute intense workout that I have expereinced as of late. I'm a half-marathon runner, and though I was tired and sweaty, I didn't feel sick or wiped out, just a good "long run" kind of tired. I also am able to go longer periods of time now without eating and not have that "I need to eat something now" feeling. And I have had days where raw, unsalted almonds were my friends - but not every day.

Play with it a bit, see if you can hit upon the right amount of fat/protein/carbs so that when you go to bed, you feel good. For me, if that means I have 10 almonds before lights out, then that's what it means, at least for today.

Good luck!

Michelle

I like chicken & avocado if I'm hungry outside a meal (usually from too small meals). I'd stick to protein and fats and limit the carbs if you're sensitive to them, but you could add a little pumpkin or sweet potato if they're better for your stomach. I find a bigger breakfast makes me less hungry for snacks.

Day three here and I am dragging my butt. I don't have much physical energy and not very much mental focus either. I just don't feel like doing anything except watch tv (although I did manage to do a workout this morning). So far I have refrained from hitting the couch. I did decide to skip the dog walk today. I just didn't feel like it. No headaches, no nausea, just feeling unmotivated. I also woke up feeling depressed and deprived...definitely not positive! No wine for 30 days is messing with me.

Yesterday's meals -

Pre-workout: oconut cream in my tea, two teaspoons total, followed by two hard boiled eggs and some cherry tomatoes.

Meal One: kale made crispy with 1 tsp. of olive oil, topped with two eggs; 1/2 avocado; half a yellow pepper; a small dish of blueberries.

Meal Two: 1/2 can of salmon (mixed with apple cider vinegar) served in a lettuce wrap; five large olives; some cucumber and yellow pepper.

Meal Three: Leftover Thai curry, made with chicken, cauliflower, snow peas, green beans and one small can of coconut milk for the entire recipe; Jamaican pumpkin, beaten with some cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut milk. (My daughter got into our leftovers that were planned for supper and I didn't realize it until the last minute, when it was time to do a reheat so it wasn't as big a serving as the night before.)

Evening: Crio Bru with Coconut Cream (I am still noticing no sweetener in the Crio, but hope I will develop a better taste for it soon. Otherwise, I might have to give it up. The coconut cream in it was good, but I can't really say that it was much different than the plain coconut milk. I will use up what I have but I doubt if I will make it again.

Bedtime Snack: Since supper wasn't as big as normal, and I didn't want a repeat of the night before, I knew I was going to need a snack. I had purchased a container of raw squash, something that could be popped into the microwave in its' container. Fast and easy to do at bedtime. So I had about 10 chunks, sprinkled with cinnamon. So when I went to bed, I was not hungry. However, I couldn't get to sleep. I tossed and turned for about an hour and a half. Plus, for some reason, my reflux acted up and I had this annoying cough from it (not something I have ever experienced before). Normally, when I can't get to sleep, I get back up, have some wine and listen to music for awhile, then go back to bed. I couldn't do that last night but fortunately someone on the forums had mentioned sleepytime tea yesterday. I had forgotten that I had some in the cupboard until she mentioned it so when I got up, I had a couple mugs of that and watched tv. Then I got right to sleep and slept in for an extra hour this morning.

Today:

Rather than running for my workout this morning, I went on my bike. That meant I didn't need to worry about fueling beforehand, or having too much in my tummy. So I went right to breakfast for my first meal.

Meal One: steamed kale, two poached eggs with the W30 ranch dressing recipe (yum!); cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; small dish of fresh blueberries. I also added six cubes of squash, which is an addition to my breakfast so far this week. Then I did my workout and while I haven't had anything else to eat since I finished my breakfast, I am fighting hunger. My breakfast didn't fill me up, and yet I had a full plate. I shouldn't be hungry!

I had my very first mug of bone broth after my workout. It is pretty good.

Day 4 here!

I finally slept better last night. I didn't have to get back up (other than the three times I had to pee) and I didn't have any reflux at bedtime. I felt like I woke up with a bit more alertness/energy than the previous three days. However, it didn't last long. By the time I did my workout (which should have been easy but wasn't), and I took the dog for her walk, I feel like I had done a day's work and it is only noon.

As I mentioned on the January 7th starting thread, I am also having hot flashes, which is very unusual for me. Since I am on bio-identical hormones, I don't normally get them.

No headaches and no need to kill anyone.

I have had two cases of not wanting to eat, even though I feel like I am very hungry at mealtime - at supper last night and then again at my breakfast this morning. The day before it was the opposite - I was starving all day long. I sit down to eat but after eating only a tiny bit of food, I feel quite full and have to force myself to keep eating. With my supper last night, I had about 6 baby bok choy and then I didn't want the main part of my meal. Then shortly after, my reflux acted up but I don't know if it was an ingredient or just the fact that I ate when I wasn't hungry. I had the same thing happen at breakfast this morning. I had some sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes, then didn't want anything else. I did make myself eat though. That totally goes against the grain...why should you eat if you aren't hungry??? (I know. It is because our hormones are being adjusted, but I am still afraid of overeating.)

Yesterday's Meals:

Meal One: steamed kale, two poached eggs with the W30 ranch dressing recipe (yum!); cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; small dish of fresh blueberries. I also added six cubes of squash.

Mug of bone broth mid-morning; tea

Meal Two: 1/2 can tuna mixed with Whole30 mayo served on a lettuce wrap; five large olives; celery, cucumber and baby tomatoes with a bit more mayo as dip.

Mug of bone broth mid-afternoon; tea

Meal Three: baby bok choy drizzled with W30 mayo; ground turkey with taco seasoning served over spaghetti squash

Evening: Crio Bru with Coconut Cream

Bedtime Snack: ~10 cubes of squash

Today's Meals so far:

Pre-Workout: I have been having two hard boiled eggs and some cherry tomatoes all week. This morning, I decided to really work the template and switched it up for one hard boiled egg and three large olives. While I have been having olives for my lunch and things have been fine, this morning they didn't agree with me and I ended up with heartburn almost immediately so I had to take some Tums before my run. (I know they are probably not compliant but I knew I was asking for trouble to do a run when I already was feeling some digestive upset.)

Mug of bone broth immediately after my workout (I thought when I made the bone broth I had made lots but it doesn't take long to go through it. I can tell it is going to have to be made at least weekly.)

Post-Workout: I decided to switch up my post workout meal. I have been making it as my Meal One, including fat, but I don't seem to be recovering from my workouts the way I should be so I decided to up the carb content and eliminate the fat. I started with a small dish of sliced cucumber and baby tomatoes. We are all out of eggs (where did they all go?!) so I followed the veggies with some leftover ground turkey with the taco seasoning from last night. I dabbed some big gobs of canned pumpkin on top. I really really had to force myself to eat it. I wasn't hungry plus it was hard to get my head around eating something like this for breakfast.

Meal Two will be the same as yesterday (although I am not hungry right now at all): 1/2 can tuna mixed with Whole30 mayo served on a lettuce wrap; five large olives; celery, cucumber and baby tomatoes with a bit more mayo as dip.

Meal Three is going to be an easy one. I have hit my limit of new recipes for the week. I have some W30 compliant sausages which I will serve with sauerkraut; and baby bok choy drizzled with W30 mayo.

I expect I will have my Crio Bru after supper. I am still working on adjusting my taste buds for no sweetness. Bedtime snack will be the cubes squash again. That will likely finish off that container.

One other minor complaint - We seem to be going through a lot of dishes. All this prep and cooking! I am running a full dishwasher twice a day, instead of once.

If I make it through this weekend without having wine, I think it will be a miracle. I am embarrassed to say that is all I am missing right now. However, this morning I set something up for myself that will hopefully help. In Internet Explorer, I put in a "task" with directions to pop up daily at 4 pm (the start of my witching hour). I have included a photo of myself, where I was in leanness just before our vacation a year ago and where I would like to get back to before we leave in ~8 weeks. I know...I know...doing the Whole30 isn't about weight loss but not having my wine is!

Day Five here and I am starting to feel a pick-up in my energy levels. My workout this morning was hard, but I didn't feel too pooped afterwards. I met my workout goals for the week so I am looking forward to taking it easy this weekend.

Once again, I didn't sleep well last night. I have had one good night's sleep so far - Wednesday. I had a small amount of cubed squash before I went to bed but still felt a wee bit hungry, although I don't think that is what kept me awake. I wasn't that hungry, at least I didn't think so, until I got back up. I made some sleepytime tea and had another small dish of squash. After I was done my tea, I decided I really was hungry. ??? So I had some canned pumpkin drizzled with coconut milk. Then I finally got to sleep.

My appetite seems to have levelled out. After years of eating every 2 hours, I think my body is just confused. From Wednesday at supper until this morning, I was getting full after a very small amount to eat. Today, I think I am doing okay, maybe even better than okay. I am hungry but at the appropriate times, and able to eat a decent amount.

This meal on Wednesday - baby bok choy drizzled with W30 mayo; ground turkey with taco seasoning served over spaghetti squash

caused some distress in my tummy. I wasn't sure what the culprit was, and that is one of the reasons I am doing the Whole 30. However, I have since had the exact same foods - with the exception of the spaghetti squash - (although split up into different meals) and I have been fine.

Yesterday for my pre-workout meal, I had three large olives and a hard boiled egg. It caused heartburn. I decided to give it one more try this morning and I was fine. ??? Frustrating.

Yesterday's meals:

Pre-Workout: one hard boiled egg and three large olives

Mug of bone broth immediately after my workout

Post-Workout: small dish of sliced cucumber and baby tomatoes; leftover ground turkey with the taco seasoning, dabbed with some big gobs of canned pumpkin on top.

Meal Two: one hard boiled egg, canned pumpkin drizzled with coconut milk

(I had planned on having this: 1/2 can tuna mixed with Whole30 mayo served on a lettuce wrap; five large olives; celery, cucumber and baby tomatoes with a bit more mayo as dip. However, I just wasn't hungry enough so I decided to honour my appetite and eat a smaller meal.

Meal Three: two W30 compliant sausages with sauerkraut; baby bok choy drizzled with W30 mayo.

Bedtime Snack: ~10 cubes of squash; followed by a bit more, squash; followed by a dish of canned pumpkin drizzled with coconut cream

Today's meals so far:

Post-Workout: small dish of sliced cucumber and baby tomatoes; leftover ground turkey with the taco seasoning, dabbed with some big gobs of canned pumpkin on top.

(I am not nearly as sore today post workout as I have been, so I decided to continue with this format for pre and post workout, instead of what I did for the first three days.)

I honestly can't say that this has been terribly difficult...except for one thing.

I. want. wine...

Other than some minor complaints, like low energy and having trouble getting to sleep, it has been fine. No headaches, no need to kill anyone. (I actually think my moods are more level than they were before.) Eating this way seems to agree with me. My husband is doing this along with me and feels much the same way. But...

I. want. wine...

I have tried to do some things to set myself up for success, but the head games are killing me, especially now that the weekend is here. I have done my IE pop-up at 4 pm. I bought some sparkling water for tonight, which I plan on serving in a nice glass. I can handle going without my wine during the week. I have done that before, over a long period of time. But the fact that I cannot have any on the weekend is making getting through the week waaaay worse.

Yesterday's Meals:

Meal Two: 1/2 can tuna mixed with Whole30 mayo served on a lettuce wrap; five large olives; cucumber and baby tomatoes.

Meal Three: peppered steak; grilled mushrooms and onion with W30 barbecue sauce (We have had "healthy" pizza as our Friday night meal for years so I tried to come up with something simple but yummy too. This worked.

Bedtime Snack: dish of canned pumpkin drizzled with coconut cream

I am feeling pretty good today. I have not exercised today so that might account for the increase in energy. Mentally I feel pretty sharp too. The only complaint I have right now is the bloating. I look like I have a baby bump. I kind of figure that at some point, one of two things will happen - I will either explode or all these veggies will finally start to leave my body. I am normally very "regular", but not right now.

I am still struggling a bit with the concept of eating all this fat, ans well as the increased amount of food. I have spent countless years weighing, measuring and counting every. single. thing. so doing it this way is a huge leap of faith for me. I do not want to gain weight and I am terrified I will. We go on vacation in 8 weeks. I would like to get rid of some of my recent weight gain (due to tummy issues, which is what drove me to W30). I sure as heck don't want to go away weighing more!

My appetite is all over the place.

Wednesday: starving;

Thursday: not hungry at all;

Friday: normal hunger;

Saturday: starving.

Meals so far today:

Snack upon rising: hard boiled egg, 5-6 olives

Meal One: two poached eggs served on kale; slices of yellow pepper; baby tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; diced pear with coconut milk on top (yum!).

Yesterday's meals:

Snack upon rising: hard boiled egg, 5-6 olives

Meal One: two poached eggs served on kale; slices of yellow pepper; baby tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; diced pear with coconut milk on top

Meal Two: I can't remember. :ph34r:

I think I had a plate of raw veggies, a hard boiled egg and then some pumpkin with coconut milk, but I am not sure.

Meal Three: barbecued chicken breast with W30 barbecue sauce; grilled pepper, mushrooms and onion; fish oil

Evening: Crio Bru with coconut milk

Bedtime Snack: dish of canned pumpkin drizzled with coconut milk

I had a reflux flare-up last night at bedtime and I have no idea why. Nothing I had for dinner was unusual. It is very frustrating because this is one of the main reasons why I wanted to do the Whole30 program - to figure out what causes my digestive upsets. So sleep was slow in coming.

Meals so far today:

Snack upon rising: small amount of pumpkin with coconut milk

Meal One: two poached eggs served on kale; slices of yellow pepper; baby tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; diced pear with coconut milk on top (I didn't feel satisfied after this, although I didn't eat again for ~4 hours.)

Meal Two: one hard boiled egg; baby tomatoes; pepper slices; sugar snap peas; 1/4 avocado; ~10 small olives (I was going to have two eggs but I got full fairly quickly.)

Meal Three will be grilled apple mushroom beef burger (homemade and compliant); sweet potato chunks drizzled with coconut milk; grilled pepper slices; fish oil.

I am dragging again today. I find that by mid-afternoon, I am pooped. We went to Costco today to stock up on meat and veggies. It was crazy busy and it took us a long time because I was reading labels on everything. Seriously...is there anything that doesn't have sugar in it? :huh:

I seem to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen and I need to find ways to reduce that so this afternoon we made up a big pot of taco beef for the freezer, along with W30 mayo; W30 ranch dressing; and coconut cream.

Just a suggestion on something I've noticed from your posts: it might help you feel a bit better if you ease up on the workouts a bit. Having a day or two recovery time in between would be much kinder on your body, and if you just took the dog for a walk on your 'recovery' days, she'd be happy too!

Agree it's certainly hard to find things without sugar......no wonder we all have trouble with our insulin levels!

Thanks for the input, kitchenwizz. Even though I am exercising M-F, what I am doing is scaled back from what I used to do a few months ago. So it really isn't too strenuous. I always take the entire weekend off as well. This week I will be running M-Th, but then I will have three days off.

Yesterday's Meals:

Meal One: two poached eggs served on kale; slices of yellow pepper; baby tomatoes; 1/2 avocado; diced pear with coconut milk on top (I didn't feel satisfied after this, although I didn't eat again for ~4 hours.)

Meal Two: one hard boiled egg; baby tomatoes; pepper slices; sugar snap peas; 1/4 avocado; ~10 small olives (I was going to have two eggs but I got full fairly quickly.)

Meal Three: grilled apple mushroom beef burger (homemade and compliant); sweet potato chunks drizzled with coconut milk; grilled pepper slices; fish oil. (Usually we make this wirh ground turkey. I will go back to that next time because the beef made this recipe really dry.)

Evening: Crio Bru with Coconut Cream (still struggling with the taste w/o sweetener)

I slept well last night. (I am waiting for that jump-out of bed feeling. If that ever happens to me, it will be a miracle. I hate getting out of bed.)

I am still feeling bloated (although I am better than I was). I am retaining fluid too (which is always an issue for me).

My energy level gets a bit better every day. (Edit @ 7 pm - my energy has remained good all day.)

My moods have remained very stable, probably better than they were before. (Edit @ 7 pm - a little surge of anger before supper)

Meals so far today:

Pre-workout: hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: two poached eggs served on kale; slices of red pepper; baby tomatoes; 5-6 cubes of sweet potato; 1/2 avocado; fresh blueberries with coconut milk

(I forgot that I was trying to do a higher carb, no fat meal after my workout.)

Meal Two: two hard boiled eggs; 15 small olives; sliced pepper; baby tomatoes; snow peas

Meal Three: apple mushroom beef burger, green and yellow beans with a few tiny carrots mixed in and ghee; mushrooms and onions cooked in ghee; fish oil

Evening: Crio Bru with Coconut Cream (still struggling with the taste w/o sweetener)

After years of weighing and measuring every single morsel; tracking all my food; eating low fat; restricting carbs to only post-workout, I am struggling with the concept of eating this way. I really really don't want to gain weight. If anyone experienced happens to be reading this, could you take a look at my food and tell me if I am eating too much (amount); too much fat; too many carbs? I would really appreciate it. (My workout is a 5K run 4-5 days a week, and a 35 minute walk with the dog, along with a bunch of pushups.)

• Moderators

I think you probably need to eat a little MORE. I am concerned that you are light on protein. The Whole9 standard for eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand. I bet you can hold more than 2 eggs. I would go to at least 3 when that is your protein. And with other meats, we are looking for a portion as big as your palm as the minimum.

When you mention that you are not satisfied after some meals, I can believe it. Running 5K four or five days per week burns a fair amount of energy.

You seem to eat pumpkin regularly. That is a good starchy carb source and you need it based upon your running. When you reported some acid reflux, I wondered if that had anything to do with eating just before bed. I am not knowledgeable about these things, but I try not to eat for several hours before bed. Basically, I try to time my supper for 7 PM to make going to bed at 9 M work.

I don't really have any performance goals. I just like running as my form of exercise, that and walking the dog. I hate doing strength training so I do a bunch of pushups every day instead.

I come from a fitness background so exercising is just in my nature. Leaving it out is really tough.

I gain weight really really easily so the running counteracts that. I was running a lot more than 5K up until about three months ago but then started to develop digestive/intestinal problems. Everything serious was ruled out so then I had to look at my nutrition as the cause. So I landed here.

(I stopped exercising completely for about six weeks before Christmas to let my body heal. Unfortunately, I gained a pound a week over that six weeks. So yeah - I am concerned.) Plus I am going on a tropical vacation in 8 weeks, so I really don't want to go heavier than I am right now. and preferably leaner.

It probably doesn't sound like it from reading my post, but I am trying to develop a healthier relationship with my body - both with my nutrition and my exercise.

That is probably more info than you needed. Sorry! :)

Melelina, can I ask what your performance goals are that require you to run 5k that frequently?

Thanks, Tom. I will work on bumping up my protein. That is doable. Do you think I am in line with my fat consumption?

I actually need something in my tummy before I go to bed or my reflux flares up. I have to be careful what I have though. It is a balance.

I think you probably need to eat a little MORE. I am concerned that you are light on protein. The Whole9 standard for eggs is as many as you can hold in one hand. I bet you can hold more than 2 eggs. I would go to at least 3 when that is your protein. And with other meats, we are looking for a portion as big as your palm as the minimum.

When you mention that you are not satisfied after some meals, I can believe it. Running 5K four or five days per week burns a fair amount of energy.

You seem to eat pumpkin regularly. That is a good starchy carb source and you need it based upon your running. When you reported some acid reflux, I wondered if that had anything to do with eating just before bed. I am not knowledgeable about these things, but I try not to eat for several hours before bed. Basically, I try to time my supper for 7 PM to make going to bed at 9 M work.

That is probably more info than you needed. Sorry! :)

Nope! That's just enough ;)

I wonder if scaling back the running and doing some yoga on some of those days instead might be better for your goals (leaner/healthier). Trust me, I understand the concern, but especially if you have some nagging stomach fat that won't go away...activity and stress level is definitely something you want to take a look at.

Thanks for the input, Renee. I am taking today off. :)

It is tough though. While I like my morning today - it is nice and relaxed and I am having an extra cup of tea - I keep thinking...I won't hit my target for the week...I am going to get fat...yada yada yada. :ph34r:

Baby steps, I guess.

Nope! That's just enough ;)

I wonder if scaling back the running and doing some yoga on some of those days instead might be better for your goals (leaner/healthier). Trust me, I understand the concern, but especially if you have some nagging stomach fat that won't go away...activity and stress level is definitely something you want to take a look at.

Yesterday's Meals:

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Bone broth immediately after workout

Post workout: sliced cucumber; baby tomatoes; sugar snap peas; taco beef with gobs of canned pumpkin on top (I didn't even think about food for at least four hours after eating this. I only ate again then because I didn't want to get hungry while I was out running errands.)

Meal Two: 2 hard boiled eggs; sliced cucumber w W30 ranch dressing as dip; small dish of fresh blueberries; pumpkin drizzled with a fair amount of coconut milk

Meal Three: scrambled eggs (combo of eggs and egg whites) cooked in ghee with W30 bacon, peppers, onions, mushrooms; fish oil

Bedtime Snack: pumpkin and coconut milk

I called around to all the butchers in my area in the afternoon and one guy had nitrate free, sugar free bacon so I went and bought a bunch. Yay!

I kind of think I overdid it on the eggs yesterday. I had planned on making curry for supper but didn't get home in time and had nothing else ready to go in a short amount of time, so my husband cooked up the scrambled egg concoction. It was good and easy peasy.

I am taking the day off from exercise today. It feels good!

My energy level is good; appetite is good (normal); moods are fine. I am still feeling bloated. I haven't seen any changes in my body composition (other than my abdomen, which I am sure is bigger. )

I am tired of having trouble getting to sleep at night so I decided to try Natural Calm yesterday. (It was recommended on one of the Whole30 Daily emails.) I was able to get the original unflavoured version. I think I felt asleep after about 15 minutes, which was great. I will have to see if that was just a fluke or if it continues. I am obviously hoping for the latter.

Meals so far today:

Right after getting up: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: Pumpkin Pie drizzled with coconut milk; red pepper slices; baby tomatoes

Recipe:

2c canned pumpkin

1c coconut milk

4 eggs

1T pumpkin pie spice

4T + 1t coconut flour

Mix well, put into greased pie plate and cook @ 350 for one hour.

(I found this recipe on someone else's log. Very tasty and easy too! That recipe called for 3 eggs. The moderators suggested adding meat for more protein but that didn't tickle my fancy so I bumped it up to four eggs. I added the extra teaspoon of coconut flour to make up for the extra liquid. I ate half of the pie plate. It was a HUGE serving. I think next time I will increase the eggs a bit more so I don't have to eat quite as much. It was a little dry so I drizzled coconut milk on top.)

Meal Two: 1/2 can salmon mixed w 1T W30 mayo served on lettuce wrap; sugar snap peas; baby tomatoes

Mug of bone broth mid-afternoon

(My first batch of bone broth was made with turkey bones. This batch is from beef bones and I don't like it nearly as well. It tastes greasy.)

Meal Three: mahi mahi w blackening spice (compliant) and a small dab of W30 Ranch dressing on it; steamed broccoli drizzled with lemon; fish oil

(I cooked these tiny squash for us for supper and they were awful so I didn't eat them. My hubby did even though they were really gross. What a guy!)

Bedtime Snack: pumpkin and coconut milk

Archived