Love, Nurture and Respect, starting January 7/13

Melelina

I tried on (and decided to wear) a skirt with a tight waistband today. The last time I wore it, before Christmas, it was uncomfortably tight - so much so that I had to take it off after awhile. I also tried on my jeans. The last time I wore them was early to mid-December. They are fine. I can't say these two things are loose, but they are okay. So at least I know I haven't gained anything.

Also, for the first time, I woke up this morning as soon as I opened my eyes, instead of laying there fighting the urge to go back to sleep, which is typical for me. That is despite the fact that I had trouble getting to sleep last night. (2nd night on Natural Calm).

My workout felt easier today too.

We are going away for the next two days, but I have everything planned. I am taking some things to eat in the car, taking compliant food to have at my daughter's, and have checked out the menus on the restaurants we will stop at enroute. So it is all good!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a couple of off-kilter days, travelling and staying at relatives, but all-in-all, I think we did okay. (My hubby is doing this with me.)

Meals for Thursday:

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Post-Workout: bone broth; cucumber slices; baby tomatoes; 1/2 can salmon w 1t W30 mayo in a lettuce wrap

Meal Two: cucumber slices; sugar snap peas; baby tomatoes; pumpkin and coconut milk

Meal Three: steak, small amount of steamed veggies; small amount of garden salad with balsamic vinaigrette (served in a restaurant, got full very quickly so prioritized the steak)

Bedtime Snack: none

Meals for Friday:

It was a crazy day, one that is not likely to be repeated!

Meal One: 3 hard boiled eggs and 15 small olives, eaten in the car at 8:30 a.m., had veggies with me but didn't have any appetite for them so I ate them a couple of hours later

Meal Two: @ 3:30 p.m. - mushroom salad with a tiny bit of feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigriette (I know feta isn't allowed. I should have told the restaurant to skip it but I didn't. I hadn't eaten anything decent for ~7 hours. Considering how lousy I felt from not eating, I think we did pretty well having this salad. I knew we would be having supper within two hours so decided not to add anything else. Two weeks ago - pre W30 - after many years of eating every 2 hours, no way could I have gone 7 hours without food. So maybe I am on my way to becoming fat adapted???)

Meal Three: ham, sweet potato w coconut milk, green beans

Bedtime Snack: pumpkin and coconut milk

Today's Meals:

Meal One: two eggs, 4 pieces of W30 bacon; sliced strawberries, melon and pineapple combo

MealTwo: 2 hard boiled eggs, celery; baby tomatoes; cucumber (my tummy was burning a bit after this meal so I decided to eat a bit more and had pumpkin w coconut milk

Meal Three: ham, sweet ptatoes; green beans w ghee; fish oil

Evening: Crio Bru w Coconut Cream

Bedtime Snack: pumpkin w coconut milk

(How did I manage to exist without coconut milk before this?)

***Aliens in my tummy tonight!***

Just putting this info from Robin on pre-workout meals in here where I can find it easily.

"Carb's aren't necessarily BAD preworkout, protein and fat is just better. Eating protein and fat peri workout, signals glucagon, which is basically the hormone opposite to insulin. Insulin stuffs things into cells for later use; glucagon tells cells that we're going to use that stuff soon.

So it's just priming your body to access your energy stores in the next couple of hours.

Carbs don't cause a glucagon response really. they're all about insulin."

Today's Meals:

Immediately after getting up: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: 2 eggs, 4 slices W30 bacon; small dish of fresh blueberries (I feel so decadent having bacon after not allowing myself to eat it for years.)

Meal Two: salad with W30 ranch dressing and chicken breast

Meal Three: ham; sweet potato; fish oil

Evening: Crio Bru w Coconut Crack Creamer

My hubby and I have been busy in the kitchen today. He has grilled about a dozen boneless chicken breasts. I already had the W30 mayo made up so I then made ranch dressing (which my husband really likes for his lunch salads) and avocado dressing (first time I have made that). I made up another batch of the Coconut Crack Creamer. I also made up "Pumpkin Pie". I switched up the recipe in order to add more protein and one pie pan quickly became two, so I have enough to keep me going all week.

Modified Recipe for the Pumpkin Pie:

3 cups canned pumpkin

1 1/2 cups canned coconut milk

8 eggs

2T pumpkin pie spice

6T + 2t coconut flour

Mix well and pour into pie pan. Cook @350 for 50 minutes.

Day 15 here!

Meals for today:

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: 2 slices ham (not deli); red pepper slices; 1 1/2 wedges of my pumpkin pie w coconut milk (see recipe above)

Meal Two: 1/2 can salmon w ~1T W30 mayo; slices of cucumber w ~2-3T W30 avocado dressing (yum!); 1/2 wedge of pumpkin pie w coconut milk

Meal Three: squash cubes w coconut milk; chicken cauliflower recipe done in slow cooker (recipe below); fish oil

Cauliflower Chicken

Can of chopped tomatoes

Can of coconut milk

1 chopped onion

1 chopped red pepper

1 lb chicken

Curry

Red pepper flakes

Salt & pepper

Chopped cauliflower

Set on low for 5-6 hours. Add the chopped cauliflower in last hour.

Thoughts:

My workout went well. I had lots of energy the rest of the day too.

I finally tasted some sweetness w the coconut milk in my tea. First time for that! Now if only I could start getting some sweetness when I have it with my Crio Bru. That would make me very happy to know that I have changed my taste buds.

My appetite is good. I can't believe - after so many years of eating every 2 hours - that I have settled into this way of eating as easily as I have.

I haven't seen any body composition changes yet.

Feeling good!

Meals for today: (pretty much the same as yesterday - gotta love leftovers! I am trying to get smarter about my meal planning. I felt as though - for the first two weeks - all I was doing was cooking and washing dishes.)

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives << For some reason, after eating this, I felt really full.>>

Meal One: orange pepper slices; 1 1/2 wedges of my pumpkin pie w coconut milk; 2 eggs served on kale

Meal Two: 1/2 can salmon w ~1T W30 mayo; slices of cucumber w ~2-3T W30 avocado dressing (yum!); 1/2 wedge of pumpkin pie w coconut milk

Meal Three: squash cubes w coconut milk; chicken cauliflower recipe done in slow cooker; fish oil << wasn't hungry for this meal either, got full very quickly >>

2nd Bedtime Snack (hours later): egg and 15 small olives

I am a wee bit tired tonight. My workout felt good. (Tomorrow is an off day.) I have been busy all afternoon working around the house so I guess I shouldn't be surprised I am tired.

Despite feeling hungrier than yesterday, I was getting full very quickly.

I couldn't get to sleep last night. I tossed and turned for well over an hour, got up and had a 2nd small snack (egg and 15 small olives) and 2 mugs of sleepytime tea, watched tv for an hour, went back to bed and still couldn't get to sleep. My brain was in overdrive. I had gastrointestinal distress added to the mix as well, which has continued into this morning.

One of the main reasons I started this program was to figure out what causes my tummy issues. So far, I haven't narrowed down my list at all.

I started taking Natural Calm to help with my sleep (not my digestion) but maybe that caused my distress last night. Last night was the 2nd night in a row that I have taken it, although I did take it 3-4 nights last week with no issues.

I am not seeing any body composition changes either.

So I am tired :huh: ...and feeling pretty discouraged.

Yesterday's (Day 17) Food:

As soon as I got up: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: yellow pepper slices; 1 1/2 wedges of my pumpkin pie w coconut milk

Meal Two: one hard boiled egg; yellow pepper slices; celery; slices of cucumber w ~2-3T W30 avocado dressing

Snack late afternoon: baby carrots w W30 ranch dressing (We were going out for dinner and I was hungry. I needed something to tide me over so I wouldn't go for the bread basket at the restaurant.)

Meal Three: mixed greens salad w balsamic vinaigriette; sauteed mushrooms; steak

I had intestinal issues all day yesterday.

I wish I could start seeing some body composition changes happening. I keep looking in the mirror but I don't see any difference. My husband (who is doing this with me) is finding his clothes are looser, but not me (yet!).

Yesterday's (Day 18) Food:

As soon as I got up: one hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal One: red pepper slices; 1/2 wedge of my pumpkin pie w coconut milk; 2 eggs served on kale; small dish of fresh blueberries

Meal Two: 1/2 can of salmon with W30 mayo; yellow pepper slices; celery; slices of cucumber w ~2-3T W30 avocado dressing; baby carrots; 1/2 wedge of pumpkin pie w coconut milk

Meal Three: mahi mahi served with W30 ranch dressing; squash cubes; coloured beans served with ghee; fish oil

Bedtime Snack: pumpkin w coconut crack creamer

Thoughts: I was very tired yesterday. I had a stressful day the day before, but I also decided maybe I have been having too much in the way of starchy carbs (since I am not seeing body composition changes) so I cut back a wee bit over the last two days. So I don't know which one might have caused my lack of energy.

I have had diarrhea for the last two days. Initially I thought maybe it was caused by the Natural Calm since I had taken it two days in a row. However, I had it last week for at least a few days and didn't have that happen. ??

I had hot flashes super bad yesterday. I guess when I am getting discouraged for not seeing body composition changes, I should realize that things are still being worked out because normally I don't get hot flashes.

My reflux acted up after my supper.

I felt asleep quite easily last night. Yay!

I didn't exercise yesterday. So I ran on Monday and Tuesday, took Wednesday and Thursday off and will run again this morning (Friday).

Melelina, I think you're relying too heavily on your "pumpkin pie." I'd like to see you varying your foods a little bit more, and getting more leafy veggies. maybe do a frittata in the AM instead of the pie? 4 eggs in one recipe is not a lot of protein/serving

Thanks for responding, Renee.

So does that mean you think I am having too many starchy carbs? Or is it because there isn't enough protein in the pumpkin pie?

The leafy veggies are better than raw veggies?

I am getting more confused all the time.

I have a pair of pants on today that are too tight. I think I am going to have to take them off. So that is just making me freak out even more than I already was.

Melelina, I think you're relying too heavily on your "pumpkin pie." I'd like to see you varying your foods a little bit more, and getting more leafy veggies. maybe do a frittata in the AM instead of the pie? 4 eggs in one recipe is not a lot of protein/serving

Thanks for responding, Renee.

So does that mean you think I am having too many starchy carbs? Or is it because there isn't enough protein in the pumpkin pie?

The leafy veggies are better than raw veggies?

I am getting more confused all the time.

I have a pair of pants on today that are too tight. I think I am going to have to take them off. So that is just making me freak out even more than I already was.

Hah, it means what i said! I think you're relying on the pumpkin "PIE" too much, which is a bad thing for a couple of reasons: a) it's pie. 2) it doesn't have a lot of protein in it, c) you have it multiple meals/day and we like to see more variety, d) it's pushing other vegetables off your plate.

All veggies are good, and there's nothing wrong with raw veggies...i've just noticed a lack of them in your log, so I thought you could add more. they may help tighten up your stomach issues as well.

Gotcha on all counts! I can take out the pie and add in some leafy veggies. But I am still confused. :ph34r:

I feel like I am putting on weight, and it is freaking me out. a/b/c/d/ shouldn't contribute to weight gain, should they?

(As you suggested before, I backed off on my workouts so I am not burning those calories either.)

I do really appreciate your input.

Hah, it means what i said! I think you're relying on the pumpkin "PIE" too much, which is a bad thing for a couple of reasons: a) it's pie. 2) it doesn't have a lot of protein in it, c) you have it multiple meals/day and we like to see more variety, d) it's pushing other vegetables off your plate.

All veggies are good, and there's nothing wrong with raw veggies...i've just noticed a lack of them in your log, so I thought you could add more. they may help tighten up your stomach issues as well.

Honestly, the pie might. I just went back to the recipe; there's a lot of stuff in it. Honestly, don't stress out about it. Take a deep breath, ditch the pie and move on :)

Your sleep is improving, right? And that's only happened in the last week or so? Sleep is definitely a limiter when talking about fat loss, so it's a little too soon to be evaluating the results of that tweak. Just breathe and W30 on!

Thank you Renee. My pumpkin "pie" is gone and I won't make any more. I appreciate you helping me out here.

Honestly, the pie might. I just went back to the recipe; there's a lot of stuff in it. Honestly, don't stress out about it. Take a deep breath, ditch the pie and move on :)

Your sleep is improving, right? And that's only happened in the last week or so? Sleep is definitely a limiter when talking about fat loss, so it's a little too soon to be evaluating the results of that tweak. Just breathe and W30 on!

Yesterday's Meals (Day 19):

Pre-Workout: hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Post-Workout: yellow pepper slices; taco beef with dobs of pumpkin on top (very very filling)

Meal Two: celery; pumpkin pie w coconut milk (last of the pie)

Meal Three: steak, mushrooms and onions cooked in ghee

Evening: Crio Bru with coconut crack

Thoughts: My energy level was good today. Appetite was normal. My workout went well and I felt fine after it.

I am going to work on getting the amount of starchy carbs down a bit and see if that helps with my body composition. I have yet to figure out how much I need in the way of carbs but that is part of this process, right?

I don't think I am going to be ready to weigh myself on Day 32. I admit I am kind of afraid to. Since I have been eating so much of my pumpkin pie without realizing it could be impacting my results, I would like to give it an extra couple of weeks without it to see if my body composition changes. If I weigh myself and my weight has not gone down, I might react poorly. :ph34r: I might change my mind, but that is how I feel right now. I would love to get to the point where I can ditch the scales forever!

My husband and I had a good chat about the Whole30 way of eating last night. Both of us decided that we will continue on after the 30 days. I am surprised at how my husband has bought into this whole way of eating. I am sure he will add a few things back in, although he says he is no longer craving things.

Yesterday's Food (Day 20):

Immediately after getting up: hard boiled egg and 15 small olives

Meal one: two eggs; 2 1/2 pieces W30 bacon; diced pear w coconut milk (I feel so decadent having bacon on the weekend after a gazillion years of not allowing myself bacon)

Meal Two: (dinner out) steak, salad with balsamic vinaigrette; steamed veggies

Bedtime snack: pumpkin w coconut milk

After my breakfast, I went six hours without eating. I honestly can't remember the last time I only had breakfast and dinner on the weekend. We were out for the afternoon and it felt funny not taking something with me to eat (you know...in case I starved to death); and it was also totally weird not to be grabbing a protein bar from my bag the way I would have done in the past.

Yesterday's Food (Day 21):

Meal one: two eggs; 2 1/2 pieces W30 bacon; diced pear w coconut milk (The bacon is such a treat. Without added sugar, you can really taste the flavour of the meat. I love it!)

Meal Two: 2 hard boiled eggs; raw veggies - celery, baby tomatoes, baby carrots, yellow pepper slices, sliced cucumber (with ~1-2T W30 avocado dressing); compliant avocado curry soup

Meal Three: baby bok choi; apple turkey mushroom burger; fish oil

Bedtime snack: pumpkin w coconut milk

Today's Food (Monday, Day 22):

Pre-workout: one hard boiled egg; 1/2 avocado

Post workout: raw veggies - baby tomatoes, radishes, yellow pepper; taco beef w dabs of pumpkin on top (I find this meal - the beef and pumpkin - to be extremely filling when I have it.)

Meal Two: 1/2 can salmon w ~1T W30 mayo; sliced cucumber (with ~1-2T W30 avocado dressing); 15 small olives; small dish of blueberries drizzled with coconut milk (I had more raw veggies cut up but wasn't hungry enough to eat them.)

Meal Three: baby bok choi; apple turkey mushroom burger; fish oil

Supper was late so I didn't have my Crio Bru or my bedtime snack tonight.

Thoughts:

My workout was good.

My energy level has remained steady all day.

I haven't been as hungry today as I normally am.

This week, I am trying to keep the starchy carbs somewhat less than what I have been eating for the last week or so. I hope that makes a difference in my body composition.

My mood has been consistently even throughout all of this, no highs or lows, just nice.

Yesterday's Food (Tuesday, Day 23):

As soon as I got up: one hard boiled egg; 1/2 avocado

Meal One: 2 eggs mixed w 1/2 cup egg whites scrambled with onion, pepper and mushrooms; pear w coconut milk

Meal Two: 2 hard boiled eggs; sliced cucumber (with ~1-2T W30 avocado dressing); 10 small olives; radishes; yellow pepper slices; baby tomatoes; celery

Meal Three: chocolate chili; fish oil (This is the first time I have made the chocolate chili. It is super good. I have enough left for tonight's supper too. I love leftovers!)

Supper was late so I didn't have my Crio Bru or my bedtime snack tonight.

I took the day off from exercise. It is getting easier to do that. Prior to W30, I would have done my workout no matter how tired I was.

I had my first food dream - spaghetti squash! What is up with that?

I wasn't hungry for my lunch today and had to force myself to eat. I am not sure if I was just bored with the meal or if I had eaten too much for breakfast.

Archived