Round 4 - FIGHT!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 10!

I love day 10, it feels like a milestone. Like, I only have to do this twice more and I'm there (not that I'm struggling, I'm feeling great!). I'm starting to plan for the long term, I really think I need to just stay 90% compliant with exceptions for going out, and the occasional "special" meal, and just allowing SWYPO where appropriate. Not that I tend to eat baked goods  etc from day to day. I'm a member of a couple of paleo groups and see the 'paleo' baked goods they make and honestly, wouldn't cross the street for most of them. Honestly, I kind of feel like a lot of 'paleo' baking is just twisting themselves in knots to justify a just-as-sugary dessert. But maybe I'm being judgey.

Anyway.

Dinner tonight I'm torn. I have a whole turkey that needs cooking, but my cooking club with my besties was moved to tonight, and the plan was to make gnocchi and I intend to make SWYPO sweet potato and cassava flour gnocchi, I know it's SWYPO but 4 rounds in I'm doing this strictly for elimination reasons and not any sort of change of relationship with food, so I have no issues with making SWYPO foods from time to time this round. 

I think I'll cook the bird, have gnocchi for dinner with some shredded turkey, then we can have turkey for dinner tomorrow night and it will already be ready to go.

Meal 1: Beef sausage, grilled filed mushroom with garlic and ghee, sauteed spinach and broccolini

Meal 2: Sweet potato gnocchi with fennel and pepita pesto and shredded turkey, probably a side of broccolini because I can't bring myself to have a meal without greens.

Symptom check-in - vertigo was a bit present yesterday, but it is definitely fading. I'm still very tired and have headaches on and off, but I suspect that's because I'm lower carb than normal. Generally I'm feeling pretty good. I have to say, I seem to have a mix of tiger blood and kill all the things, I get really into doing stuff (deep cleaning the bathroom and the stairs, making sausages), but I'm also really quick to anger if the smallest thing doesn't work the way I want it. I think it also has to do with wanting to do all the things, but the migraines are still there, which affects my motor control, so I drop and knock things and that frustrates me. I can't wait for them to really clear up, previous W30 diaries say around 15-18 days in, I should be good. 

Dinner was good, the sweet potato gnocchi was nice, though I'm actually not that huge a fan of gnocchi in general. Funny though - I thought I bought a white sweet potato. Baked it and cut it open and it was a purple one. So my gnocchi looked pretty funny. 

Anywho, as I said, I know it was swypo but the ingredients were compliant so I'm fine with it. It certainly isn't a food with no brakes for me, I ended up eating around the last 1/4 of the gnocchi and giving it to the dog. 

It was definitely more carbs than I've been having of late and I'm a lot fuller than I usually am after dinner, that's for sure.

Day 11. I've decided that after my 30 days I'm just going to keep going, stop counting days but remain 90% W30 for the foreseeable future.

I really love W30 sleep. I still have a headache, but I'm almost positive it is just because I need a remedial massage. 

Meal 1: leftover beef ribs and sweet potato mash with green beans

Meal 2: Not sure. It's a cold and miserable day, so some comfort food would be good! 

Im thinking I really need to investigate sweet potato. Ive only eaten it in the formed of deep fried fries from the hospital cafeteria (I cant say I was impressed lol)

I know this is round 4 for you but do you still plan on doing any reintroduction or have you done that in the past with whatever results you might have been lookin for? I think your post plan is a great idea. Hope your headache clears up - I get terrible sinus migraines which is something I also hope gets better if I can get alot of this inflammation under control

58 minutes ago, Blueautumn said:

Im thinking I really need to investigate sweet potato. Ive only eaten it in the formed of deep fried fries from the hospital cafeteria (I cant say I was impressed lol)

I know this is round 4 for you but do you still plan on doing any reintroduction or have you done that in the past with whatever results you might have been lookin for? I think your post plan is a great idea. Hope your headache clears up - I get terrible sinus migraines which is something I also hope gets better if I can get alot of this inflammation under control

I've really come around to sweet potato, I like it cooked enough that the edges start to almost burn. 

I admit, I've never finished a proper reintro, though I learn more every time. Unfortunately what I have learned is that my migraines are cumulative - they take up to 3 weeks to go away when I start Whole30, and 4-6 weeks to come back when I eat "normal". So it makes it really hard to pinpoint the issue, because it isn't a simple case of eat and react. It's frustrating. This is pretty much why I'm committed/resigned to just staying paleo and keeping things excluded. 

I've read reports from people whose sinus issues have cleared up on W30, so take hope! Apparently dairy is a killer for sinus issues.

Today's symptom report: Vertigo was pretty ok til about 20 minutes ago, now it is ramping up. For some reason today I've also had a bit of heartburn, and also oral allergy. No idea what's triggered it!

Dinner is simple - seared steak with sauteed broccolini, beans and cabbage, and a grilled field mushroom with ghee and garlic.

Day... 12. I'm starting to lose count and needed to scroll up, that's always a good sign!

I'm in the office today, first time in a couple of months (aside from ducking in to grab one thing or another). It's also the first time I've worn makeup in 2 months, and I was anxious when I had to put on my non-stretch work pants. The fact that they fit comfortably is solely due to W30, I believe!! 

The meeting I'm in for was supposed to be done by 1, but it started an hour late and I don't think there's any chance. I'm living on black coffee, and grateful that restaurants are still closed so the client can't suggest we go out to lunch after!! I also forgot to put the lamb shanks I was going to slow cook for dinner on, so I'm all around useless today! At least I'm happy to fast until I can eventually have lunch and we're not strapped for food at home for dinner. 

So =, meal 1 & 2 - NFI!!!

Ok, I'm noticing I'm getting a lot fuller, a lot quicker. I've always been a volume eater and I load up my plate with veg. This last week, I've been getting very full halfway through dinner, and putting some of it away for the next day. It's good!! Just something new for me I didn't notice in previous rounds.

Today I went to make chicken mushroom, spinach and pine nut sausages, but I used pre-ground chicken and it ended up being way too sticky for the sausage  maker, so I froze it in 1lb bags of ready-made patty/rissole/meatball/whatever. Yum.

Also makde a fresh batch of mayo. Not sure what I'll make next!!

Meal 1 was a chicken/m/s/p patty with shredded cabbage, mayo and chimmichurri.

Meal 2, no idea! I have all the time in the world and a freezer full of food. Will report back :)

3 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ok, so I'm going to give 40 Aprons Chicken Tikka Masala a crack. I bought coconut yogurt the other day and it needs using, and the weather is miserable, so a good curry with cauli rice sounds great. 

Was it any good? I didnt even know coconut yogurt was a thing

Oh my goodness, 40 Aprons Chicken Tikka Masala is AMAZING. It's better than the best takeaway I've had. 

Day 14! They're flying by :) 

Symptom check in: Realised last night I haven't used lip balm in a week or so - Dry, stingy lips are a symptom of my oral allergy, along with an actual sore mouth. Both are gone. No heartburn, haven't needed any antacids this round. Sleeping soooo well. Less bloated and clothes are fitting better. I still have a headache but as I've said, I think that's musculoskeletal. Vertigo is faint. Motor skills are.... not bad. Could be better. Hoping for more improvement. Energy levels are good, but not tiger blood good, but they never are.

Meal 1: Probably leftover curry on cauliflower (I'm out of pre-riced rice and I hate how much mess making it makes!!)

Meal 2: Thai Beef Salad in my video cooking with my laydees 

Caveat on the energy thing. I'm not "I want to go for a run!!" energetic, but I'm way more motivated. Things get cleaned, everything gets done. There is no "ugh, I'll leave those dishes for tomorrow" or "I can't be bothered, so that can stay messy". Even the little things. It's really good, and I'm happy for it.

Do wish I was motivated for a run though ;)

3 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Caveat on the energy thing. I'm not "I want to go for a run!!" energetic, but I'm way more motivated. Things get cleaned, everything gets done. There is no "ugh, I'll leave those dishes for tomorrow" or "I can't be bothered, so that can stay messy". Even the little things. It's really good, and I'm happy for it.

Do wish I was motivated for a run though ;)

I cant even remember the last time I actually felt motivated to get off the couch or out or bed. So glad you are happy and you have some motivation to get stuff done. Are you motivated for a walk? lol Heading over to the 40 aprons site right now maybe i will make something fancyish this week

Keep it going

I love new recipes!

I need to get motivated to at least walk. My excuse is that I've had an infected toe which is finally on the mend.

Meal 1 ended up being a field mushroom stuffed with Carnitas, topped with salsa and nutritional yeast.

Meal 2 was a divine Thai beef salad with cashews.

Yum!!

7 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Your meals look and sound so interesting!  

Wow!  Like on a menu at a fancy restaurant!

Congrats on the higher energy and other NSV's!  Keep going

Shadow

I overbought field mushrooms last week when I was making sausages and have been enjoying stuffing them with leftovers for lunches! 

Happy day 15! It's the half way point. And you know what? I don't even care. I'm not missing anything, I'm not counting down to day 30, I'm not even sure that I'm going to bother reintroing anything and won't just keep going for a "Whole-whatever" until something seems worth having off plan. 

I'm dreaming of holidays we can take once the world has some normality, and I've already chosen our next Thailand resort. Pool access room is a must, and last time I was in Thailand I was in a bikini. I have a plan to be back in one by next time too (maybe 12 months from now). I'm not doing this for weight loss, but I do want to lose weight and this is giving me the energy and the motivation, so win-win. 

Last week I committed to 30 minutes of exercise a day and did it exactly once. So that's the goal for this week again, and lets hope I do better. To be fair, I did have a nasty infected tow last week so walking/elliptical wasn't the best idea. It's on the mend, so I'll get amongst some exercise. 

Meal 1: I do still have a field mushroom and some carnitas, so maybe a repeat of yesterday.

Meal 2: Slow cooked lamb shanks with root vegetable mash, sauteed broccolini and beans.

Archived