Round 4 - FIGHT!

1 minute ago, Blueautumn said:

Mine has felt like that on and off all week. It's awful. You can borrow my massage lady :) the weather changes have been wrecking my hhead.

hope you feel better soon

I cannot WAIT to get a massage. Our restrictions are easing again this week, so I think I can book in for the weekend. Excited!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16! Not that I'm actually counting, just keeping track. 

Day off today, so it's grocery shopping, mowing the lawn and playing video games for me. It's actually a lovely sunny day, if cold.

I'm wearing an outfit today that I last wore in Europe last Sept, before I stacked on weight (not that I was a healthy weight then, but lighter) so I'm pretty stoked!

It's fish Tuesday, and I'm thinking small salmon steaks with some prawns. Not sure of seasoning or sides yet. 

Meal 1 will be whatever I rustle up after shopping :) Actually, I think some leftover curry would be a treat. 

I don't know if my stomach is shrinking or what's going on, but over the last week or so, I can only stomach half my normal portions. It's really odd. I've always, always been a volume eater. Even today, where I've had an active morning and didn't eat until 1:30pm, I made a modest portion of curry and cauli rice and only got through half before I pushed it away. I ALWAYS finish my plate, even if I'm "OOF" afterwards.

This isn't a bad thing, but it is very unexpected and nothing I have experienced on previous rounds. 

Ok, Dinner is a small pistachio dukkah crusted salmon fillet, and 5 garlic prawns, with a mixed green, red cabbage, cucumber and radish salad with a chimmichurri mayo dressing.

I also have a pounding headache and I'm really cranky. But my neck is super sore, so thinking it's that.

Good morning, I appear to have slept off the headache, which is a boon. Hopefully it stays away!

Day 17, they're just flying by! I'm starting to really turn my mind to what after 30 days is going to look like. Part of me wants to commit to a longer strict round, another part wants to transition to "paleo" (i.e. with some swypo - though I'm having that now, where I feel it's warranted and I'm not planning on getting into paleo baking because my sugar dragon doesn't care if it's dates or rock candy, it will hoover that shiz), part of me wants to stay compliant unless I don't, i.e. occasions - not that there's many of those lately. I need a plan, because a cat without a plan is a piggy. I guess I'm afraid of committing to a longer round because I'm scared of 'failing', which is silly because this round has been a breeze, and I've got nothing on the horizon that's going to mess it up.

Anyway, prepare to hear me ruminate over that a lot over the next week and a half :)

Meal 1: We have lots of leftovers which I should really get through, so I'll probably just have what's left of my lamb shanks with a bit of root veg mash and some steamed broccoli. 

Meal 2: I have lots of leftover turkey from the roast I did, so I'm making a compliant 'turkey pot pie' which I'll then put into individual dishes and top with mashed root veg for me, mashed potato for the hubster. Side of green beans and broccolini.

OK, so I just need to flag this, because it is a big deal for me - I'm a rule follower and an all or nothing type of person and I find it difficult to adapt when someone moves the goalposts, so I'm just going to acknowledge that.... I'm putting peas in the turkey pot pie tonight. 

I have a weird mental relationship with peas. Weight Watchers always counted the 'points' of them when all veggies were free, and that led me to thinking peas were 'bad'. Then W30 banned them, so I kept avoiding them, even thought I love them. Now they're ok on W30, as I believe they should be, but my little pea-brain (see what I did there?) is like "aaaaahhhh, noooo peas are non-compliant and if you eat them, you may as well go to McDonalds!". So why eat them then, you ask? Because this whole all or nothing thing I have going on is bad, and I need to start transitioning to proper life habits and not "I'm on track/I'm off track" being "I eat vegetables/I eat my bodyweight in junk"

So, peas. In my dinner. While on round. And I'm going to enjoy them. 

Good morning! Day... 18? 

The last couple of nights I have struggled to get to sleep due to to twitchy legs. It's been really weird. It's like there's this twitch in my lower back that makes my legs feel weird and I just want to keep moving them. I hope it goes away.

So last night I actually did a workout. Exercise is supposed to make you release happy endorphins, right? This one just made me maaaaaaaad. No reason, just like epic PMS cranky. It passed, eventually, but I was a bit of a sook for the rest of the night.

But, I've decided to make the effort to go back to Taekwondo. I've found a dojang not far from my house, with an instructor who seems really great. I reached a provisional black belt a few years ago at a really cool family run dojang, and then it moved one direction and I moved the other direction and I couldn't make classes any more. Tried a couple of dojangs closer to me, but one was a chain which was really cookie-cutter and the other was more of a MMA gym and it was whoa to go and nothing in between. This one seems a lot like my old dojang, to the point I was chatting to the instructor about my original dojang and she knows my old instructor and says her style is much the same. 

When I was doing TKD years ago, I was at my healthiest, lightest and fittest. I really enjoyed it (I really don't like just exercising for exercises' sake, I think learning something). Class doesn't go back in-person until the end of June, but that gives me 4 weeks to try and crank up some fitness, and the motivation to do so (falling over dead at your first class back is rather embarrassing). So I'm trying to actually do the 30 minutes exercise a day that I've been repeatedly committing to. 

Anywhoo.

Meal 1: Leftover turkey stew with broccoli

Meal 2: Hmmmm. i have a freezer full of food and very little inspiration. Maybe stuffed peppers because I bought too many - I could do a Mediterranean style meatloaf mix and bake them in. That could work. EDIT: opened the freezer and remembered I made a bunch of beef, smoked tomato and mushroom sausages, so they're dinner with mashed root veg (I'm on a kick lately) and sauteed brussel sprouts and beans.

Day 19.

Ugh, had huge post written, accidentally deleted. Long story short - NSV, bought super cute t-shirt in Paris last September, immediately come home and put on a buttload of weight, just tried shirt, it fits. Woot!

FRIDAY! Not that weekends mean us doing any more leaving the house than during the week, but the no alarm is nice.

No ideas on food today. Meal 1 will be leftovers of some description, I have a sausage, and I have chicken tikka masala. So one or the other.

Fridays I tend to like something a little fancy for dinner, but I'm currently at a loss for what that might be. 

Thinking I might take Monday as a leave day and have a 4 day weekend. Just coz.

I did your 30 minutes, plus mine, plus 40 more! I took the doggo for a long walk because I knocked off at lunch, and ended up walking too far one direction before realising we had to walk back, lol. The perils of a good playlist!

Meal 1 was turkey stew with cauliflower

Meal 2 will be buffalo chicken ribs with chimmichurri/mayo slaw - yum!

Day 20! I have to say, this has been my easiest round so far, but probably due to the 100% of meals being at home, no office, no invites. It does limit the chances of messing up. But I also haven't craved anything, despite being pretty cranky. 

Meal 1 today is leftover buffal chicken ribs and slaw

Meal 2 will be 7 hour slow roasted lamb shoulder with roasted root veggies and sauteed brocconili and beans

Meal 1 was small, and meal 2 is late so I had a mini meal of the leftover beef sausage and a couple of dill pickles. I had water first and waited to make sure I was really hungry, but I was.

I had a lovely bath this afternoon, I don't do that often enough. 

Not sure what I'm going to get up to tomorrow, if the hubster is studying again (which he was today and I think he is tomorrow), nd the weather isn't awful, I might pack the doggo up and take him for a hike. 

So here's a thing - Not drinking during lockdown is making me cranky. Not because I want a drink, that's not bothering me at all, but because I sleep great, don't have vertigo or general malaise, and I'm sooooooooo bored. There's only so many walks I can take, my house is clean, my garage is empty and organised, my food is prepped, I'm learning ASL, I'm playing Xbox, and I'm soooooooo boooored. I'm much better at doing nothing with a glass in my hand.

Thing is, I don't even want a drink. My husband is still drinking on weekend nights and the smell of wine on his breath makes me a little queasy sometimes. This isn't about me craving alcohol, it's about me feeling better than I have in months, having energy and having NOTHING to do with it! ARGH!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll line up a good playlist and go for a long drive.

Hello, SchrodingersCat! I remember you and your delicious-sounding meals from last year, when I was doing my 2nd round of Whole30. Looks like we're on a similar schedule, as I'm back now doing a third round--currently on day 15. I'm not bothering with a log this time around (things are going easily enough that I don't feel I need the accountability of daily posting) but popping in here now and then, mostly for cooking inspiration.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that it sounds like our experiences this time are pretty similar. Lockdown and being home all the time makes the food part a breeze--plenty of time to cook and no temptations while at social events, but the no drinking part is a real drag. I'm so looking forward to a nice glass of wine (or two) on June 15!

@SchrodingersCat as I was reading your posts I sensed that you have a good grasp on your newest health victories.  I believe that being tuned in and able to identify why you’re bored, and that you don’t even want to have a drink, is huge.   Congratulations!  I hope that you enjoy your hike or your drive or whatever else you get up to this weekend.   :-)

Thanks guys!! 

@doubledee it's good to see you around! I love to log, it has become a daily ritual for me, and I like going back and seeing what I ate previously :D Plus I get to chat to lovely people like you!

@ShadowInTheKitchen I feel like I'm so much more in tune with how I'm feeling now, it's a real eye opener. Maybe it will stick this time around!

Day... 21! 3 weeks down, and it really doesn't feel like it!

So I got out there this afternoon and serviced my bike, made sure it was in working order (it was!!) then went and got a shiny new helmet (purple, like my bike) and went for a ride! Only 30 minutes along the bike path on the river, a bit of gentle hills and enough to get my heart rate up! I forgot how fun (and hard!) bike riding was. Plus how even wide saddles aren't very comfy :unsure:, hoping I'll get used to that! I'm lucky to have a long bike track near my house with really nice scenery. 

Meal 1 was the last of the turkey stew with cauliflower

Meal 2 will be potato latkes, shredded Greek lamb shoulder topped with roasted cherry tomatoes and coconut sour cream, with braised broccolini and beans.

Good morning day 22!

Very cranky this morning, though not diet related, I'm sure. Coffee is helping, somewhat.

I was just thinking, last night was the first time this round I have had white potatoes, and I've had very little sweet potato, too. Not really sure why, I've just been avoiding them. I have a bit of a history of restricting foods, so I need to make sure that isn't a factor. I'm not really missing them though. 

OOF, my pelvic bones are SORE after that ride! I hope they get used to it, I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if it's worth walking bow-legged. 

Might make myself something snazzy for lunch, I've been on the leftover train, which is all very responsible, but I feel like something just for me. Maybe poached eggs on broccolini with hollandaise. We shall see.

Really not sure on dinner. It's a chilly old day here, so something warming would be good. 

Lunch was sooo yum, I had a garlic grilled field mushroom with sauteed broccolini, topped with 2 poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. YUM.

Dinner is an oven baked pork chop with sauteed red and green cabbage, another garlic field mushroom (currently all about the mushies), sauteed broccolini, carrots and beans. 

No exercise today, the weather is garbage, and I've had a pain in the belly most of the day. I'm also tired and CBF, frankly. 

2 hours ago, Contessa said:

I'm  just gonna say that peas and poached eggs (as separate food experiences) are two of life's great pleasures, aren't they? Hope the weather warms up for you soon.

Aren't they just? I'm so happy peas are back on the menu (though I'm still eating them sparingly, old habits!!)

We're just going into winter here, so while I'm glad I don't live in a snow area (recreational only!) I think we're in for cold and miserable for a while! That's ok - I'll cocoon in my winter warms and emerge in spring with a new smaller wardrobe ;)

I finally have a guest today!! First time since March, one of my BFFs is coming over, so I'm making tapas. On the menu is:

• Chilli garlic prawns
  • Beef meatballs in smoked red pepper sauce
  • Spanish tortilla (potato omelette)
  • Warm herbed almonds
  • Jamon, olives and caperberries

I love cooking for people!

Dinner will be red snapper with a simple slaw :)

I'm also making my own ghee for the first time today! I haven't been able to buy my usual for a while now and I finally ran out, so I'm trying my hand at it. 

Archived