Round 4 - FIGHT!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonjour!

Day.... 24? Yes? Anyway lol.

Meal 1: Leftover shredded lamb with spanish tortilla (shut up, brain, I know we've had white potato 3 days in a row and that is FINE), spicy red pepper sauce and steamed asparagus

Meal 2: Steak, I think, with roasted veggie medley.

OH - vertigo is gone. Has been for days. Its like having the hiccups - you don't always notice when they stop, you just look back later and realise that at some stage they went away. I feel great. So much better. Maybe this time I'll remember feeling this great and not go back to old habits?

OH, I have an appointment at 5:15pm today to get the result on my 3 month fasting bloods. My last blood tests had my sugars at 6.3, which is pre-diabetic territory. So I went for the 3 month test to see if that was a blip, or actually an issue. I had the fasting bloods done in the first week of this round. It will be interesting to see - I won't be surprised if they're high, I was eating very poorly and had gained a lot of weight (I was aroune 240lb when I started this round, which is scarily close to my all time high, and almost 65lbs more than when I was very happy with where I was 4 years ago, before the vertigo started. That's actually a scary thought - I've been dealing with this vertigo for almost 4 years now. W30 is the only think that's fixed it. If that doesn't make me make thing long term, there's something very wrong.

Day 25! I'm glad it's Thursday, I'm glad tomorrow is Friday and I'm glad I have a 4 day weekend. When my team went down to 4 days a week, I somehow drew the short straw and got Tuesdays off, which was not ideal, but it's finally paying off because Monday is a holiday. Woot. Hubster is going to be busy studying, so I'll have to find ways to entertain myself.

Woke up in the middle of the night with a bit of a dodgy tummy, and still have it. Just an upset in the lower stomach and lower back, that's making me randomly uncomfortable and fidgety. It's quite odd. I hope it goes away.

Nothing really else to report. I'm starting to wonder/fret about my plan after day 30. The structure and rules of W30 is what keeps me going strong, and I've fallen down, hard, after every previous round. I do NOT want to go back to feeling how I did before. I want to keep losing weight. Nothing is going to change for a while, home wise - I'm still going to be working from home and the like. Part of my brain says just keep going, but the part of my brain that need structure is fretting about "how long to? how many days?" and my logical self aware brain knows that as well as I go on W30, it does tend to feel into my previous disordered eating and the stark 'good' v 'bad' line of food. Maybe I should give Food Freedom Forever a read - I'm usually not great with motivational or self help style books (I'm a cranky, cranky skeptic) but W30 has done such amazing things for me, maybe it will get through. 

I'm also wary of getting on the scale on day 31. This was about getting rid of my vertigo, but it was also about losing weight, because I had put on a LOT and was/am very unhappy about that. I know I've lost weight, but I don't know if I want to know how much. If it's 'not enough' for my stupid brain, I'm afraid the gremlins will undermine me, but at the same time, if it's 'not enough', I want to know if I need to be tweaking things. Ugh. Brains, amiright?

Anyway.

Meal 1: Probably leftover curry, it needs to be eaten.

Meal 2: I really don't know, I have a freezer full of food, and a distinct lack of motivation. We haven't had anything with beef mince in a long time, I might just whip up a bolognaise and have it over veggies. 

I was getting worried about lower back and leg twitchiness, because I have a chronic condition which can cause this stuff, but it's pretty asymptomatic, however, I whacked a heat pad on my lower back and got immediate relief, so I booked myself a remedial massage. Cannot WAIT. 

Huh.

I just went back to look at my previous logs for previous rounds to get some ideas and I found my Round 1 log, my Round 2 log, my Round 3, log, my other Round 3 log, and this one... This is actually round 5! One of the round 3's I didn't make it all the way through (22 days then had to go interstate with no hope of staying compliant), and second Round 3 was also cut slightly short (intentionally, I had booked a holiday to a cheese festival 6 months beforehand so it was a W25) but I did not realise that I've actually done 5 rounds (albeit 2 incomplete) in 18 months. There you go.

17 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Maybe I should give Food Freedom Forever a read - I'm usually not great with motivational or self help style books (I'm a cranky, cranky skeptic) but W30 has done such amazing things for me, maybe it will get through. 

I've also done 5 rounds, currently working on preparing myself for round 6.  While I was frustrated with myself that I didn't hold fast, looking back, they were good resets for me.  There wasn't a lot of time that passed between the first four.  I had a period of about 8 years where I maintained a healthy, whole-30 influenced lifestyle.  It was almost 5 years between round 4 and 5 (this past September), and boy did I fall off the wagon in that time.  Here I am again, trying to get back to it, 90 pounds over where I was at my best weight about a decade ago.  I think there is value in becoming an experienced Whole-30er, repeating the cycle and maybe improving just a little bit each time.  We keep coming back because we know it works, we see improvement in our health and medical conditions.  

I ordered Food Freedom yesterday, even though I haven't started round 6 yet.  Like you, I'm not a big believer in self-help-I know what I'm supposed to do, etc, etc.  But W30 taught me things about food and my body, so maybe I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle. I have to figure out how to do this lifestyle for life.  I don't know.  I don't really have anything to contribute to what you've said.  Just that I'm glad to happen upon someone with a similar experience.  I hope you continue to share what's happening as you move into the after in a few days.  

Oh my goodness, I can totally relate to your recent post expressing concerns about life after Whole30. It reads as something I could have written myself. I'm also on my fifth Whole30 and I have fallen into fourth-grade-boy-left-alone-at-home bad eating habits in between each one. When will I learn? I've had Food Freedom Forever and also haven't read it. What could it possibly teach me that I don't already know?! LOL. Maybe it's time for me to read it too. I need this one to stick. I need this round to be the driver for a permanent lifestyle change. I feel so much better, so much more aligned, and so much happier when I eat this way. 

I wish us all the best! Despite that we haven't yet landed where we want, we should admire our resolve to keep coming back!

Thanks @MadyVanilla and @kirbz! I sometimes feel like a bit of a heretic when I say I don't know if I'll get much out of Food Freedom Forever so it's noce to hear I'm not alone in that. who knows, maybe it will change all our lives!!

Its the Friday before a 4 day weekend, woot! NO idea what I'm doing with it, the weather is going to be pretty shoddy, which makes it harder. Plus the hubster is busy, so I'm mostly on my own save for the evenings. I was to make food, but I seriously have enough food. I might smoke something (food people, nothing funny!) - now I think of it I'm out of smoked peppers and tomatoes. So that might be tomorrow. I do want to get some exercise but how I do that will depend on weather.

Anywhoo - Meal 1: Leftover meatball stew. This is such a comfort food, my mum used to make it when I was a kid. 

Meal 2: Again, I'm at a loss! It's Friday, and I always feel like doing something more exciting on Fridays. But I'm trying hard to work with what I have and not just buy more groceries on a whim. Hmm.

@SchrodingersCat @kirbz @MadyVanilla I ordered Food Freedom today too. Same as you all, I'm feeling like I know enough, yet maybe I can learn more?  I'm also getting nervous about the end, and currently think that I won't ever really finish W30, but keep deferring back to it as I find necessary.  Besides, I think that I really could eat a green salad with Primal Kitchen dressing every day for the rest of my life, and potato egg salad with homemade mayo too!  

@SchrodingersCat For your meatball stew, do you add cooked meatballs at the end?  Do you stew it all day in a slow cooker?  I've never had meatball stew and would love it if you shared the recipe!

1 minute ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

@SchrodingersCat @kirbz @MadyVanilla I ordered Food Freedom today too. Same as you all, I'm feeling like I know enough, yet maybe I can learn more?  I'm also getting nervous about the end, and currently think that I won't ever really finish W30, but keep deferring back to it as I find necessary.  Besides, I think that I really could eat a green salad with Primal Kitchen dressing every day for the rest of my life, and potato egg salad with homemade mayo too!  

@SchrodingersCat For your meatball stew, do you add cooked meatballs at the end?  Do you stew it all day in a slow cooker?  I've never had meatball stew and would love it if you shared the recipe!

Ok, it's easy!

In a deep pan, fry up a chopped onion in oil, then add 2 cups of compliant beef stock and a can of crushed tomatoes. Stir in a pile of chopped celery, 3-4 chopped carrots, 2- 3 diced potatoes (or whatever other stew veg you have), and cover and simmer.

While that's simmering, mix 1lb of ground beef with 1 egg, a couple of tsp of onion and garlic powder, some random herbs, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup or so of almond meal. Shape into meatballs about the size of golf balls and put them in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set, keep simmering the stew.

Stir a couple of TBS of tomato paste into the stew (this is when I also added my red pepper sauce this time, but I usually don't), taste and season if needed, then drop the meatballs in, shake the pan so they sink down, and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Voila!

Dinner is chicken, spinach and pine nut 'burgers' wrapped in jamon, with lettuce, pickles and dijonnaisse, and celeriac chips (Hubster is just having the burgers as usual with regular chips).

I've been absolutely useless at exercise this week. Going back to TKD class is looming, I need to get some fitness happening!!

OMG, dinner was so amazing. Nom. Which it's why it's so significant that I'm eating so much less at meals. Lunch was meatball stew, but I only had 2 meatballs, the rest was veg. Dinner, I had 2 patties, lettuce, pickles, and a dozen celeriac chips, and I could only eat 1 patty even though they were amazing!

I would like to go for a ramble tomorrow, but it's going to be 13C and rainy and I don't have decent wet weather shoes. Nothing indoor and exercisy is open. Sigh. 

57 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

13C and rainy and I don't have decent wet weather shoes

Time to shop!  A good pair of weatherproof shoes is a necessity IMO.  I love my Salomon hikers and Helly Hansen truly waterproof rain jacket with hood because I don't like to be burdened with an umbrella.  I don't have any excuse now, and ya, I get the whole I don't want to go out in the rain thing, but once you're out there, unless its pouring it can be quite nice.  Walking is the one exercise that is almost always recommended, so being properly equipped will serve you well.

I bought my hikers when I was going to hike the Chilkoot trail in Alaska.  Since then I've tried to hike in as many different places as I can - every time I traveled I tried to look for an interesting place to hike or just walk, sort of like adding another notch in my boots.  I have also consciously searched for new places to explore right here at home, and I wear them almost daily to walk my dog.  If you are goal oriented this strategy may work for you too, to get you out there.  My boots are 5 years old now and have a small leak in the top, but still as comfortable as ever and I wear them a lot!  

Good luck tomorrow finding something exercisy to do.  And thanks for sharing the meatball stew recipe.  Your meals are so interesting!

1 hour ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

bought my hikers when I was going to hike the Chilkoot trail in Alaska.  Since then I've tried to hike in as many different places as I can - every time I traveled I tried to look for an interesting place to hike or just walk, sort of like adding another notch in my boots.  I have also consciously searched for new places to explore right here at home, and I wear them almost daily to walk my dog. 

Are you familiar with the AllTrails app?  It's free, but of course you can pay for premium service (I'm not sure what's involved with that).  You can search for trails in any area, get directions to the trailhead (even for unmarked ones - I've been able to find all but one), and then record your hike, which allows you to use the trail map on the app.  Users rate the trails, which is helpful for knowing about markings, waterloggedness, etc.  

You're right, I really need some decent hiking shoes, as I do love a ramble. 

Still not sure what I'm doing today, everything I want to do involves food. I'm also very out of sorts (not food related in any way) which is half making me want to get in the car and just go for a massive drive, half making me want to play Xbox on the couch all day. 

No idea on food today. I think I will probably end up heading to the markets and might try and find something exotic. Though I'm not sure of the point (cranky).

Meal 1: leftover meatball stew

Meal 2: the absolute best lamb backstrap I've ever had, marinated in onion, garlic, lemon, cumin, cinnamon and sumac. Served with chili balsamic roasted beets tossed with their own sauteed greens and fresh baby spinach, and grilled dukkah crusted baby eggplant 

Meal 2: the absolute best lamb backstrap I've ever had, marinated in onion, garlic, lemon, cumin, cinnamon and sumac. Served with chili balsamic roasted beets tossed with their own sauteed greens and fresh baby spinach, and grilled dukkah crusted baby eggplant 

1 hour ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Ha I dont know what half of that is hehehe

Glad it was delicious though!

2 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

the absolute best lamb backstrap I've ever had, marinated in onion, garlic, lemon, cumin, cinnamon and sumac. Served with chili balsamic roasted beets tossed with their own sauteed greens and fresh baby spinach, and grilled dukkah crusted baby eggplant 

This reads like a fancy restaurant menu!  You sure do have interesting meals.

Sundaaaaaaay Day 28!

I went to buy compliant beef and chicken stock and got mad at myself, because 2 cups of the only compliant one I can find is $6 and that's a waste. So instead of $12 for 1L of stock, I bought all the ingredients for $21, and now have a huge pot of chicken stock simmering, and beef bones and veggies roasting for bone broth. I have the time, and the equipment, so there's no excuse!

Meal 1: Leftover spanish tortilla with smoked red perrer sauce, shredded lamb and grilled dukkah crusted baby eggplant. 

Meal 2: I got some huge, lovely chicken marylands so I think crispy skinned chicken. Not sure on sides yet!

Archived