Round 4 - FIGHT!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is day 29, I got confused yesterday. Or did I? I don't know. 

So now I'm having an existential crisis about what to do after Day 30. I find structure so comforting, and I don't know whether to keep going, transition to paleo, and I'm not sure on the little things either.

Do I weigh myself on Day 31? Will 'not enough' weight loss make me throw in the towel? Will a huge loss make me want to restrict more?

Do I start making SWYPO stuff? Will that be a slippery slope? If I go to paleo, do I start allowing the natural sugars it allows?

Big one - Next weekend, do I have a drink with my husband? Do I stay on the wagon? I don't miss it except that it's just a thing to do (and if I'm really, really honest - and sorry, my love - it's frustrating hanging out with people who are drinking when you're the sober one LOL) 

My vertigo is gone, I don't have GERD symptoms, apart from some stomach upset this week, IBS symptoms are gone, no oral allergy symptoms, the rash I had on my side has cleared up, and I feel REALLY good, and I do not want to go back to how I was. Do I just say 'this is who I am and how I eat now'? Save for occasions, of course. 

I know I'm not in the mindset of just going 'back to normal' because despite there only being 2 days to go, I'm still shopping for, searching, and making compliant foods. If I wasn't going to continue in some way, I wouldn't have made 5 litres each of chicken and beef broth, right?

I don't miss grains or baked goods. I'm not a real legume person, so don't miss those. I like cheese, but will be happy to eat it sparingly, and I don't eat other dairy, really. I know I can't go back to eating candy because that's a huge black hole for me, and I'm not really into other desserts. Going back to eating any of those things isn't 'worth it'.

Maybe I'll download Food Freedom Forever and give it a read, while staying compliant and hope I have more of a plan at the end. Going back and looking at ALL my previous logs on here just shows me how badly I spin off course when I finish a round (and gain back a ton of weight, and all my horrible symptoms), and I need to break that cycle. 

So had a big chat with the hubster about what I'm going to do post-round 5 and he was kind of surprised, coz he thought that eating like this for the long term was the plan haha. He had no idea I was even agonising about this. He loves how we're eating, how much money we're saving and given that he has all the non-W30 food he wants, he's perfectly happy.

So my 'Food Freedom' plan is staying as compliant as possible, save for when it is "worth it" - Food Freedom, huh? So we shall see how it goes. I'm going to keep journaling my  food and thoughts on here, because I find it very helpful and you guys are the best :)

Meal 1: lamb, mushroom and spinach 2 egg omelette with Salsa God Fire Roasted Salsa

Meal 2: Steak, roasted pumpkin, brussel sprouts, parnsip, and broccoli with dukkah.

12 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So now I'm having an existential crisis about what to do after Day 30.

I hope you continue here because I love reading about whaat you eat! ;)

I totally get your dilemma, and am going through the same thing.  I feel the fat is falling away slowly but surely, and want to keep going.  I don't want to go back to eating the way I was.  I've been trying to read FFF, but reading before bed is going slow because I fall asleep so quickly now. I find its pretty repetitive so far.  I want to skip ahead but GASP! that totally goes against my OCD lol!

I'm glad that you plan to continue journaling here, and I also hope that your belly feels better soon.

Day 30!!! This was by far the easiest round. I credit that to not even having the opportunity to eat out, having ALL the time in the world to prep and cook and shop, and having no outside pressures at all. Here's hoping that as that stuff begins to creep back in, it stays easy :)

I downloaded FFF yesterday and have started it - @ShadowInTheKitchen I hear you with reading at night LOL, I'm 2 pages and out like a light!!

I forgot to eat meal 1 today, only realised after 3:30 when I was out walking the dog. Had a mini-meal when I got home of a bit of cauli/brocc rice and a bit of chicken tikka masala. 

Dinner is seared salmon steaks with sauteed asparagus and broccolini, and maybe some jicama sticks with chilli and lime...

Day 31! Round 5 (and I have decided it is, in fact, round 5) is in the bag! 

As per the above, I plan to continue but here's the round up. In round 5 I have achieved:

• Getting rid of my migraine/vertigo (which was constant and frankly life ruining)
  • Substantially reducing brain fog
  • My headache has finally gone away!
  • I have not taken anything, not even over the counter, for my GERD/reflux/heartburn all round - it's just gone
  • My oral allergy syndrome is also gone - I use lip balm sparingly and have none of the horrible mouth rash feel
  • I sleep like a log, I fall asleep quickly, sleep solidly, and wake up refreshed
  • My anxiety (which can be pretty/very bad) is under control 

There are other knock ons too, like the amount of stuff I have achieved this round because I have energy, but a lot of that has to do with being home in lockdown and having a lot more time on my hands. However, if I wasn't on round, and still had all the above issues, I wouldn't have achieved nearly as much as I have.

I agonised over stepping on the scale but did, just to get a baseline (I'm not weighing more than once a month from here on out, though, body scale is just as bad for my outlook as food scale, I've found) and I'm down 6.5kg (14.5lb). It's not as much as I lost my first round and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed, which is INSANE, and exactly why I should stay off the scale because my ideas of what those numbers should say are unreasonable and unhealthy. That's a huge loss for 30 days. My logic brain knows it, the demon brain is just being a jerk.

ANYWAY.

There's no reintro plan to announce, and no special meal with something I've been missing, I'm just going to keep on keeping on, doing the slow transition to paleo, meaning I'll consider some of the more SWYPO baked goods (not the sweet treats though - I still don't get how paleo justifies chocolate)) and I might try some SWYPO pasta. But my allowed food list will really just stay W30 for the time being, with maybe some paleo sweeteners only in savoury contexts (the sugar dragon sleeps lightly, my friends). So I plan to just keep logging right here, if that's cool with everyone ;)

I'll be back with today's food plan in a bit.

SO, I have been processing my disappointment in my weight loss since I posted this, and I've got some context around it. It's not that I feel like 6.5kg isn't an amazing loss, or that I think I should have lost more. Its that the weight I am after this round is the weight I was before lockdown, and I'm so disappointed/annoyed at myself that I could have done this round and lost 'real' weight, instead I let myself gain so much in that short period of time, that even after this round, I'm just back where I was a few short months ago.

Same.  I'm kinda scared that I'll be disappointed too.  I think that if I weigh in I'll be where I was two years ago when I started to up my physical activity and count macros and calories.  So instead of doing all that work for a couple of years to lose weight I actually gained, but then I took a little over a month to get back on track.  

It's the disappointment in myself that gets to me, and the lost time being in the body that doesn't reflect who I believe I am.  I hate to let myself down.

@ShadowInTheKitchen you hit it right on the head - it's not the number itself that I'm disappointed in, its the fact that I let myself down by getting high enough that this number was the result and not the starting point. But, I have spent some time looking at some photos of where I was when I was happy, and no matter what has gone before, I'm 6.5kg closer to than now than I was 30 days ago. PLUS, I wasn't doing it for the weight loss (ok, not only for the weight loss), and my NSVs are amazing.

Meal 1: last of the chicken tikka masala and cauli rice. Thank Ath it was the last of it, I love that recipe but I am so sick of leftovers. I have this compulsion to make sure I eat leftovers and don't waste them, but I've made too many things that have leftovers of late! It's still delicious.

Meal 2: My beef, mushroom and smoked tomato sausages with balsamic sauteed cabbage and pine nuts, and sauteed asparagus and broccolini.

Little devil on my shoulder is going "you could have a sywpo treat!' and it needs to STFU coz I don't even really want one.  

And it just seems like we should be at our goal weights when we get through 30 days because we've made so many positive changes and feel so much better.   I fully expect I'll have this same disappointment when I weigh in on day 31.   You did in fact lost 1/2 pound a day (the poundage sounds more impressive than the kgs, lol!)   

Just stuff that swypo treat down that freaking devil's mouth and let him have the migraine with the foggy-brain and heartburn.  

Congrats on getting to day 31! 

Thanks guys!! I have given myself a stern talking to (and 1/2 lb a day sounds really great, doesn't it!!) and I'm going to stay off the scales and on the right track. I did have to stern talk myself last night, because I've been having a small handful of raw cashews of a night with my tea, and last night I went to grab them and thought "these are probably hurting your weight loss" and had to quash that, because I'm not going to get in the mindset of restricting further.

It's SO COLD here today. I mean, it's Australia cold, so not freezing or anything, but because our houses aren't centrally heated when it gets to near 0 overnight, it's hard to warm them up again! 

I have been craving tuna and boiled eggs. Depending how my morning goes, I might make myself a Nicoise for lunch, either with tinned tuna of some fresh seared if I can stop off and get some.

Meal 2 is on the fence - I'm so flippin' cold right now I just want a hearty stew. 

27 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

I'm so flippin' cold right now

LOL I tell my kids to do some jumping jacks when they get cold.  They never do. :lol:

1/2 pound a day is a fabulous achievement, congratulations on that!  

It is funny how at the end of the 30 days/40 in my case, the mind wanders to snacking again, as if its ok now that the reset is over.  Here's to you staying strong, and beating those cashews back down to save for when you really need them.

12 minutes ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

LOL I tell my kids to do some jumping jacks when they get cold.  They never do. :lol:

1/2 pound a day is a fabulous achievement, congratulations on that!  

It is funny how at the end of the 30 days/40 in my case, the mind wanders to snacking again, as if its ok now that the reset is over.  Here's to you staying strong, and beating those cashews back down to save for when you really need them.

I did go for a walk! It warmed me up a bit, and also made me appreciate how warm inside the house actually is haha

Soooooo cold!

Boss said this morning that we're back to 5 days a week at the start of next month, so that's good. I mean, I have REALLY enjoyed having 4 days weeks and have made the best of a day off, but I don't *need* that day off and the money is always a good thing. I'll make the most of these last few weeks!

SO, the broccoli I planted at the start of lockdown has baby broccolis! They're so stinkin' cute. My cabbages are heading, too, and the caulis shouldn't be far off starting. The leeks got crowded and still look like spring onions. Brussel sprouts take forever, and are apparently fussy, but the plants look healthy.

Podiatrist today, about my recurring infected ingrown nail. How charming, right? Ugh. But I need to be able to kick people by the end of the month (Taekwondo).

Food, huh? I have the Friday maybes again. Podiatrist is next to Aldi so I might see what inspiration they have.

I'm all out of leftovers, which is good, but I have no leftovers, which is bad cos I don't know what I want for meal 1. Maybe eggs. Maybe tuna. I've been wanting tuna salad but it's too darn cold!

Meal 1: Thai Green Curry tuna patties with steamed broccolini and spicy mayo

Meal 2: OMG, I went to the supermarket and they had this amazing standing rib roast on clearance, so cheap! So I snapped it up, with rub it, sear it, then oven it til it's medium and serve it with roasted veggie medley and brown onion and peppercorn gravy! 

Edit: I just went to put the last tuna patty away (ok, in my mouth. I went to put it in my mouth) and one of the cats has had a go at it. Joke's on them, there was a LOT of curry paste in those patties! Suckers!

So awesome for all of it! Ive been trying to figure out what i want to do after the thirty days and I think there is a very high chance i continue it out to at least 60 days. Though i really want cheese back in my life. Like cheese will have to be the first intro at some point no matter what but i dont want to fall right back into eating all these things all day every day so Ive been trying to come up with a long term plan after the reintros and everything. Plus my dr hasnt seen the results yet but i imagine after the 30 days shes gonna be super pushy about me sticking with for a while LOL my sugar numbers are gonna excite her so much.

I wish i could have you just come cook for me <3 your food always sounds so yummy with such a veggie variety! I still just grab one and im like broccoli there something veggie lol.

I would love to cook for you!! I'd love to start a home meals service, actually.

Omg, dinner. So my bargain prime rib was divine. Crusted it with ghee, garlic, rosemary and seeded mustard, on very high for 20 mins then an hour on low and slow. It was the perfect pink and just fell apart. Served with roasted carrots, parsnip and potato, and ghee sauteedd beans and broccolini. It was far too much food, but it was so darn tasty.

I have had a hungry day today, so the big dinner was good. I did snack, but on pickles and a few olives.

I was very tempted to have some wine tonight, but not for the right reasons. I'm very tired and have a headache and felt blah, and that's not a good reason! So no wine, still compliant!

Happy Saturday, peeps! 

Nothing really to report here, just chugging along. Tomorrow will be my first 'non-compliant' food, coz I'm having breakfast for dinner with my Sunday night video dinner friends and will be having my homemade maple espresso bacon. This is the kind of food freedom I'm looking for :) The rest of the meal will be compliant and the only non-compliance is the maple and brown sugar, which is mostly rinsed prior to smoking anyway.

Today's Meal 1 was a lamb chop with a garlic ghee field mushroom, sauteed spinach and a serve of spicy kraut. 

No idea on Meal 2, inspiration will strike, or we will have something boring. Shall see.

Archived