Time for a change

elinve38

Day 0

I find I naturally do better when I have more structure in my life so I'm hoping that doing a round of Whole30 will give me a sense of stability and accomplishment right now. Before the pandemic I was off my anti-depressants and doing great, eating beautifully and going to the gym most days. The pandemic led to major upheavals in my work and home life and I fell back into a depression. I stopped exercising and have been doing a lot of comfort eating. I feel gross, physically and emotionally, so I want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse. I recently went back on anti-depressants and the next step is to make a few lifestyle adjustments.

GOALS:

• increased energy and sense of well-being
  • incorporate exercise into my day (walking + fitness blender or yoga)
  • drink more water 
  • less screen time - more reading, listening to music &c.

:) 

Day 1

B - coffee w/ compliant almond milk; poached egg w/ tabasco sauce; cut up cucumber, tomatoes  & sauerkraut w/ olive oil and acv (slept in abnormally late so this was more of a snack than a meal)

L - tuna salad (w/ homemade mayo, parsley, celery, pickles, olives, shredded cabbage); pear; baby carrots 

afternoon coffee w/ almond milk

S - pickles, olives, baby carrots

D - chicken-vegetable soup; salad (lettuce w/ mayo); grapefruit; small handful of almonds

exercise - 15 min gentle yoga + 45 min "exercise" walk 

+ took my meds 

6 hours ago, elinve38 said:

@BabyBear Thanks! I know, it's true isn't it? I find I feel lost without a routine. Today is my start date :) 

I have been without a routine for so long and have realized I do awful just left to my own devices all the time - especially with my health and depression. Im hoping the same thing that getting into a routine will really help get some things under control.

Heres to hoping that your mood and energy levels get where you need/want them to be especially with everything going on in the world! 

that is a great idea. Im meal planning this week and getting groceries ready to start next week. I think having a real grade school type schedule with activities and hobbies and eating etc will also help me get active or at least do something besides rot my brain binge watching hulu and netflix LOL

Day 2

B - coffee w/ almond milk; sole fillet w/ mayonnaise; cucumber & tomato w/ oil and vinegar; sauerkraut

S - green apple w/ small handful of almonds

L - 2 hardboiled eggs; roasted cauliflower; green olives; baby carrots; dill pickle

afternoon coffee

D - chicken soup; baked yam

exercise - long afternoon walk 

+ took my meds

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! 

I ended up having to make some adjustments to my medication, which led to overwhelm (too many changes all at once) so I decided to focus on one thing at a time.

After I adjusted my dosage I started to feel better and able to incorporate some daily movement. I started doing yoga every morning and have managed to stick with it for 10 consecutive days - a small victory! What I've learned is that it's preferable to do it every day, even if it's just 10 minutes, and keep the momentum going rather than aim for so-called perfection. I will be doing the same with W30 - aiming for consistency over perfection. I'm happy to report I have been reading and listening to more music as well, and feel much better for it. So I managed to tackle my goal list... with the exception of food, lol. 

Tomorrow will be my new Day 1 :) 

Welcome back, and congrats on getting those meds under control and on the daily yoga!  

I also have trouble with overwhelm if I take on too many new things, and have found myself having to needing to say no to a few things this month so that I can keep my focus on eating well.  Oh and spending more time in the kitchen :P 

Good luck on Day 1...

Ill be attempting the constant daily movement next! Its so hard to get both back under control at the same time. Kudos for getting it going and coming back to the food :) I saw a massive improvement in my blood sugar yesterday and it was only day 10 so now im even more motivated to keep it going. I also havent been having the mood lows i tend to get so hopefully that will help as well for you! 
Glad to see you back - you got this

DAY 1

B - coffee (black); curried cauliflower soup

L - salad (romaine, radicchio, celery, mint) w/ vinaigrette (olive oil, vinegar, mustard) + nutritional yeast; olives & pickled peppers; sole fillet

S - La Croix; cherries & small handful of walnuts

D - zucchini noodles w/ tomatoes, pickled peppers, olives, chimichurri & chicken hearts; a few dates (for dessert)

A very small breakfast today because I woke up at an obscenely late hour. 

Feeling good! I went for a walk after lunch and this helped with the afternoon fatigue - managed to go an entire afternoon without napping. 

DAY 2 

B - coffee w/ walnut milk; 2 boiled eggs; tomato, cucumber & 1/4 avocado

L - zucchini noodles w/ pickled peppers & chimichurri; sole fillet; handful of cherries

S - coffee w/ nut milk; small handful of walnuts

D - salad (parsley, radicchio, mint, red cabbage, celery & 1/4 avocado) w/ vinaigrette; chicken hearts; pickled peppers

a few dates & La Croix (for dessert)

Still not sure how I feel about the chicken hearts... I usually have no issues eating liver, kidneys &c. but the rubbery texture is kind of off-putting. I still have one more serving to go (I plan on hiding them in my soup) but after that I think I'll stick with chicken livers. 

Another afternoon without napping / falling into oblivion! Will definitely try to incorporate a post-lunch walk into my daily routine, as this seems to be doing wonders for my energy levels. 

DAY 3

B - coffee w/ nut milk; smoothie (green apple, celery, zucchini, flax seeds, fish oil, protein powder) 

L - salad (parsley, radicchio, red cabbage, celery, mint) w/ vinaigrette; chicken hearts; pickled peppers & olives

S - coffee w/ nut milk; dates and walnuts

D - 2 boiled eggs; tomato; 1/4 avocado

S - smoothie (as above)

S - sole fillet w/ chimichurri

Slept poorly and didn't leave the house all day. I seem to swing between two extremes: waking up at 4am, or waking up at 10 - 11am. This has been an issue since I was laid off in March (and lost my gym routine) but has only been getting worse as things drag on. My circadian rhythms are completely out of whack and it's affecting my appetite and energy. This morning I woke up craving the quick energy of a sugar hit - hence the smoothie (and I sincerely doubt that protein powder was totally compliant). I compensated for the tiredness by drinking an afternoon coffee and eating wayyyy too many dates but I know this is only making things worse. 

It's interesting, I was craving the second smoothie because of the texture - I wanted something creamy and dessert-y. Needless to say, 2 smoothies have left me so bloated I look about 6 months pregnant. Ooof. 

I will definitely be avoiding smoothies and dried fruit for the rest of this program and will try to limit my caffeine intake to before 11am.

The desire to start all over again is strong but I need to remember consistency over perfection

Plus, I find that an "all or nothing" attitude will usually lead me right into a binge/restrict cycle, which I really want to avoid. 

3 hours ago, elinve38 said:

The desire to start all over again is strong but I need to remember consistency over perfection

Plus, I find that an "all or nothing" attitude will usually lead me right into a binge/restrict cycle, which I really want to avoid. 

Consistency is def super important. I'd say more important than most aspects in most things. You are learning new things about how foods affect you already and that's great! 

9 hours ago, elinve38 said:

The desire to start all over again is strong

Oh but you recognize this, and that's super important! 

You're going through what we've all gone through. It's totally normal.  If you have to have a smoothie to remain compliant, then have one. Soon you will find something to replace the creaminess with, sorry I don't have a suggestion except maybe mashed sweet potatoes with ghee, or a creamy soup if you like coconut milk?  It will get easier.  Please try to stick with the program, it's just so worth it.  

Archived