My big Fear

Niya79

Hi everyone!   I started my Whole 30 on May 11 and am on day 11 and I am scared!   I am scared because so far I am feeling great, and I am afraid of what will happen when this is over.  I am a 40 year old who has Hashimotos and last year decided to run 2 marathons.  Well that contributed to a lot of weight gain, GI distress, and general feeling like crap.   Before starting my training I ate pretty clean but because of the increase in carbs my diet got all out of wack.  I am set to run the Chicago marathon this October and thought the whole 30 might help for a reset to figure out where my diet is having issues.   Well, other than a headache that lasted a few days and feeling like I was running to the bathroom nonstop during the first week I feel as though I must be doing something wrong.  I say that because this is not as difficult as I expected, and other than having a hard time with my blood sugar on a few runs (which I now keep dates on hand for emergencies), my energy levels are amazing.  I was under the impression running would be too hard...maybe it will get harder but I feel like as long as I do my pre and post workout meals I am good.  So my fear is this.  What about when this is done, yes I am afraid I will go back to my old ways, but I am more afraid to have anything I am not having now.  I know I have heard this is not meant to be a long time diet, but I am afraid that Ill have something and be right back where I was.   Has anyone else felt this way?

You should really get the food freedom forever book! (bought it last night on amazon kindle for $3.99)  It talks about staying on the whole 30 forever not being freedom.  But on the other hand, as you do your reintroduction you create your own perfect version of healthy eating for YOU.  When you do reintroduction you get the amazing benefit of knowing exactly how each individual addition will affect you and it helps you to establish your own baseline of "worth it."  You can't decide what is worth it and what is not if you don't know what the actual affect on your system will be.  You can certainly reintroduce only what you want to.  You can chose not to ever reintroduce dairy, if you don't even like it in the first place, for example.  But here is the downside of not going through some form of reintroducing...  You stay on whole 30 for 4 months.  You feel great, you don't have to fear your bodies response to food, you are completely loving life.  Then you are on vacation somewhere unique, you desperately want to try this amazing food that is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  It has both dairy and gluten in it.  You react horribly.  You spend the next 4 days of your vacation feeling awful.  Not only is vacation sort of ruined, but you don't know what triggered the episode.  Was it dairy, gluten or both?  You are now afraid of both because you don't ever want to re-live those 4 days.  Wouldn't you wish you'd have taken an average weekend at home to try out one reintroduction and gain the knowledge of how your body reacts to that one specific group?

I did my first whole 30 in 2015.  I was actually excited for re-introduction because I was so intrigued by the thought of having solid answers for me!  Not just a slew of differing opinions.  One doctor demonizes beans, another calls them the perfect food.  etc.   I was so sure I would react to dairy.  I was put on goats milk as an infant because I couldn't tolerate it.  I have never enjoyed milk and only have cheese now and again.  I didn't like the taste of cheese after my whole 30, It tasted like the smell of mold - that's the only way I can describe it, but I didn't react to it.  Gluten, on the other hand, bothers me.  I have to really want something with gluten for it to be worth it.  It's a worse reaction when paired with sugar. So 1 dinner roll won't be nearly as "costly" as a slice of cake.  I love having that information.  I may still have a slice of cake some days, but if I know enjoying a slice of sourdough bread occasionally will disrupt life far less than a slice of cake, I might just prefer the crispy buttery sourdough.  

This is a very personal journey.  You can take all the time in the world to reintroduce, or decide not to reintroduce much.  These are just things to consider as you plug along for the next 19 days to decision time :)  I will also say I have no experience with Hashimoto's.  I also am running a marathon in October!  I have never done a full before, I have done 5 half's.  I usually run   6+ miles with a box of raisins "in case" though I rarely eat them.  I am looking at coconut water as a possibility for the longer runs to come too.  

Congratulations on taking this step towards a healthier you!

Rachel

Thank you so much...everything you said makes so much sense and I had never even thought of things like what you said about a vacation!   I will definitely look into the book!  Good luck with your marathon.  

Archived