New to Whole30, Living in a Rural Area

My name is Aaron and I'm about to start the Whole30. Or rather, going to try to. I face a problem in the community I live in. I live in a very rural town in northwestern Louisiana. There is no full supermarket here. There is a Family Dollar and a VERY small grocery store that most only sells meat, generic brand eggs, and a few essential canned and pantry items. I cannot make the commute to larger cities at this time (nearest Whole Foods is an hour and a half away). Is there anything I can get at Family Dollar that's Whole30 compliant?

• Moderators

Meat (like plain, not marinated raw meat) is, eggs of any kind are. You'll have to look at canned goods, but some canned vegetables and fruit are. Canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce to use in recipes. Maybe canned tuna, salmon,, or chicken. Look for olive oil or coconut oil to cook with, or you can buy butter and make your own clarified butter or ghee to use. Do they have frozen vegetables at all? That could give you more options. They probably have olives, which can be a good fat source. Check both the snack aisle and the baking aisle for nuts, the ones in the baking section are more likely to be raw with no added oils, some of the roasted snack nuts could be cooked in peanut oil which makes them not ok for whole30. 

Also, www.localharvest.org lets you look for farmers markets and co-ops near you, obviously every location is different, but there might be options near you to get more fresh vegetables or even eggs or meat. 

Archived