Patrick's Whole30 Log

patrickjohn

Hi Everyone!

I'm Patrick and I'm starting the Whole30 tomorrow (Monday, June 1st 2020) with my mom. I have been back and forth with my health for a few years now. While I have been relatively health-conscious, I haven't achieved a sustainably healthy lifestyle that allows me to maintain my goals long-term. This is definitely a time of transition in my life: I am currently living at home due to the coronavirus pandemic, after which I will be relocating to LA for work. I was also recently in an accident that broke my collarbone that I am still recovering from. Since there's a lot of upcoming changes in my life, I think this is an ideal time for me to establish healthy habits that will carry me forward!

These are the main goals I have for my Whole30 experience:

• Become Slimmer - I have always struggled with my body image and my relationship with food. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and be confident in how I look.
  • Improve my Relationship with Food - I want to improve my relationship with food and view it as a source of nourishment and get rid of poor eating habits. Specifically, intentionless and emotional eating habits are ones that I would like to squash.
  • Mental Clarity - I have noticed that lately I've been really foggy mentally, and I think this is due to the sugar I've been consuming. I am hoping Whole30 will help me clear the fog.
  • Kill the Sugar Dragon - I've had a sweet tooth for as long as I can remember and crave sugar/carbs regularly. Ever since I was little, I've always been unfulfilled if I didn't have a dessert after dinner. This is a habit I would like to get out of.

Thanks everyone in advance for your support. I wish you all luck on your journeys!

hi @patrickjohn !

My original start date was going to be the first but then i just figured F* it and started last sunday. Like you the sugar dragon and the mental clarity are huge issues for me and I am actually shocked at my lack of overall sugar cravings (cheese is apparently my true love ive learned). The forums have so much information and the people are super friendly and supportive.

Happy thoughts for your day 1

Thanks for the support everyone! Here's my log for Day 1. I started tracking m food with the "ate" app and really like it so far.

• Breakfast: sweet potato, onion, pepper, two eggs with southwest seasoning sauteed in coconut oil; iced americano (black).
  • Snack: handful of cashews and an orange
  • Lunch: rolled turkey slices with homemade Whole30 mayo, spinach with oil and balsamic vinegar
  • Dinner:  grilled souvlaki-style chicken (marinated in garlic, lemon, thyme and oregano), roasted onions and peppers, steamed squash noodles
  • Dessert: banana, almond butter, blackberries, coconut cream

Thoughts:

Today went pretty well for my first day. I was definitely craving my typical dessert after dinner, but replacing it with some fruit gave me the satisfaction I was looking for.

Day 2:

• Breakfast: banana, blackberries, pecans, almond butter, coconut shavings, and almond milk in a bowl with an iced espresso w/ almond milk
  • Lunchzucchini noodles (my spiralizer came today!) with asian tuna salad (tuna, paleo mayo, garlic, chili paste, sesame oil, rice vinegar, curry powder, cilantro), cashews and sesame seeds
  • Snack: Home brewed iced tea with orange and peach
  • Dinner: pan seared salmon with ghee, garlic, lemon, dill over a bed of spinach with baked sweet potato spiral "fries" and Whole30 garlic aioli
  • Dessert: fresh pineapple with whipped coconut cream and coconut shavings

Thoughts:

I was pretty foggy this afternoon although that may have been because I didn't get a good night's sleep last night. Strangely enough, I haven't really been craving sugar at all. It could be because I've been focused on work and current events (#BlackLivesMatter). I've been very satisfied and the Asian zucchini noodle salad was delish.

Update on Day 2:

I got hungry and had an evening snack:

• snack: steamed broccoli with roast beef with a homemade dressing (apple cider vinegar, toasted sesame oil, garlic, chili paste)

I also realized that the rice vinegar I used previously unfortunately has added sugar :( so that's getting the boot and I'll be replacing it with apple cider vinegar.

Day 3:

• Breakfast: chia "pudding" with blueberries, bananas, and almond butter
  • Lunch: arugula salad with roast beef and turkey; lime juice and homemade guacamole
  • Dinner: cauliflower rice, roasted squash, turkey burger with guacamole
  • Dessert: bowl of fruit (pineapple, banana, frozen peaches)
  • Snacks:
    • chia "pudding" with cocoa powder and cinnamon
    • chia "pudding" with pineapple slices
    • zucchini noodles with cashews and whole30 spicy asian dressing

Thoughts:

I was feeling very well rested yesterday and surprisingly clear-minded! I had a few more snacks than I would have liked but I'm happy that I'm going for Whole30 options. I'm beginning to crave Whole30 compliant things (specifically fruit and zucchini noodles). I was craving something sweet yesterday evening but I went for a walk and by the time I got back I had forgotten about it.

Day 4:

• Breakfast: Chia pudding with banana and blueberries
  • Lunch: beef burger with avocado and egg on top
  • Dinner: grilled chicken and sauteed spinach and squash with an almond/sesame oil pesto (amazing)
  • Dessert: Pineapple, applesauce and a few dates
  • Snacks:
    • Small arugala salad with turkey breast
    • Rolled turkey breast with mustard
    • 1/2 pepper "sandwich" with roast beef and mayo stuffed inside
    • Pineapple

Thoughts:

I've been feeling great on Whole30 so far. I was extra hungry yesterday but I'm not going to worry too much about it since I was pretty active and didn't eat all afternoon. I would like to try to snack less in the evenings, but I'm happy that I'm reaching for compliant choices. I was really hungry before dinner yesterday (didn't get home and eat until at least 8:30) and was hit by a huge craving when I passed a pizza shop but thought to myself, "that's not Whole30 and I have food ready to eat at home" and it passed.

I'm also really happy to say that I'm at the point that whenever I want to have a salad I just sort of make my own dressing with the seasonings, oils and acids I have on hand. It's great because I can customize the flavor to exactly what I want at the moment.

You are doin so fantastic. Pizza sounds delicious though I gotta say lol. I have yet to find a dressing I like with my salad and I really need to start making my own. I have always eaten creamy dressings and I miss them. I noticed I got super extra hungry super fast between day 4-7 I think but it normalized quite a bit after that. Keep it going. Sending happy thoughts your way

On 6/5/2020 at 6:43 PM, Blueautumn said:

You are doin so fantastic. Pizza sounds delicious though I gotta say lol. I have yet to find a dressing I like with my salad and I really need to start making my own. I have always eaten creamy dressings and I miss them. I noticed I got super extra hungry super fast between day 4-7 I think but it normalized quite a bit after that. Keep it going. Sending happy thoughts your way

Glad to hear it gets normalized! Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't posted the past two days but I've been keeping up with it still!

Friday, June 5th (Day 5)

• Breakfast: eggs and turkey over arugula with lime and olive oil
  • Lunch: grilled turkey breast with almond pesto (leftovers) and two pineapple slices
  • Dinner: homemade beef tomato sauce over zucchini noodles with baked homemade "fries"
  • Dessert: chia pudding with dates, blueberries and a banana
  • Snacks:
    • peach and handful of cashews
    • small bowl of meat sauce
    • 3 pieces of salami
    • slices of pineapple

Thoughts:

I was so hungry all day on Friday and had a lot of snacks. I'm hoping that my hunger levels normalize over the next few days.

Saturday, June 6th (Day 6)

• Lunch: 2 eggs over zucchini noodles with turkey and asian dressing (sesame oil, chili paste, garlic, apple cider vinegar
  • Dinner: bowl of leftover meat sauce and baked spiral potato "fries"
  • Snacks:
    • Picnic with pineapple, strawberries, plantain chips, apple chips, and cashews (ate throughout afternoon and evening)
    • Watermelon
    • Coconuts (drank straight from the coconut)
    • 2x medium Duncan iced coffees with almond milk non-compliant
    • Expresso with acacia sweetener non-compliant

Thoughts:

Yesterday was quite a day - one of my best friends who lives across the country surprised me with a visit and organized a picnic with some of our mutual friends. It was one of the nicest days I've had in a long time. As far as eating goes, I spent most of the day snacking and they did a great job of bringing whole30 compliant things (I had told them I was on the cleanse). I did end up getting coffee with almond milk from Duncan (twice) and despite asking for no added sugar, I realized after the fact that they use Almond Breeze Original which does have a few grams of added sugar. So, no almond milk at Duncan from now on :(. I also thought acacia was an approved ingredient so took it when it was offered but I realized after the fact that it's considered an "added sweetener." Overall an excellent day though.

Sunday, June 7th (Day 7)

• Brunch: dinosaur egg (baked avocado with egg in the middle) with thick cut bacon
  • Dinner: Antipasto salad (romaine, tomato, balsamic vinaigrette, ham, salami, prosciutto)
  • Snacks:
    • Chia pudding with dates, blackberries and a banana
    • Apple sauce with cinnamon and raisins
    • Pineapple with coconut cream
    • Spiral "fries" with homemade Whole30 Ketchup
    • Soft boiled eggs

Thoughts:

I think my hunger is beginning to stabilize - I ate a lot this past Saturday and that satiety seems to have carried over. Yesterday was my brother's graduation dinner so there were plenty of things on the table I would have liked to eat but I was able to stick to my antipasto salad. I've also realized that I do snack a lot in the evenings, but I'm not too worried about it? I don't usually eat breakfast till 11 anyway because I'm living on the east coast working west coast hours. Does anyone have any insight on this? I know it's not necessarily part of the Whole30 diet, but I previously did intermittent fasting and was happy with how it made me feel and am thinking I should try and better limit my eating/snacking window.

On another note, I've been doing Whole30 for a full week now and am feeling great!

Congratulations on completing Week 1!  Ooh that dinosaur egg breakfast with bacon sounds delicious!

I don't know about intermittent fasting, I've never done it, but I know that having three meals a day spaced 4 to 6 hours apart without snacking between meals is beneficial for hormones and especially insulin.  

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing to do, and I hope you have a good 2nd week!

19 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Congratulations on completing Week 1!  Ooh that dinosaur egg breakfast with bacon sounds delicious!

I don't know about intermittent fasting, I've never done it, but I know that having three meals a day spaced 4 to 6 hours apart without snacking between meals is beneficial for hormones and especially insulin.  

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing to do, and I hope you have a good 2nd week!

Thanks! essentially what you just said is a form of intermittent fasting. When I did it before I set aside an 8-hour eating window (usually noon to 8pm) during which I would eat, and I wouldn't consume any calories outside that window, and I definitely noticed the benefits. I think I may try that after my second week is complete since I don't want to rush the adjustment.

Monday, June 8th (Day 8)

• Breakfast: peach, pineapple blackberries and pecans with a splash of almond milk
  • Lunch: asian tuna salad endive cups
  • Dinner: chicken souvlaki with grilled peppers
  • Dessert: pineapple and coconut cream
  • Snacks:
    • handful of cashews
    • handful of dates
    • spanish chorizo and turkey breast
    • roast beef with sesame oil and apple cider vinegar
    • baked sweet potato

Tuesday, June 9th (Day 9)

• Breakfast: poached eggs with avocado and sweet potato hash and homemade ketchup
  • Lunch: roast beef "sandwich" with pepper bun and mustard; leftover sweet potato hash
  • Dinner: turkey burger with broccoli and apple sauce
  • Snack:
    • pineapple and coconut cream
    • turkey cold cuts and chorizo

I've been dropping the ball with logging lately - I need to get back into doing it daily!

Also despite how difficult it was I did manage not to eat past 8pm on Tuesday and was glad about it in the morning.

Wednesday, June 10th (Day 10)

• Breakfast: "cereal" bowl with pineapple, peaches, almond butter, pecans and nutmeg
  • Lunch: Whole30 Chipotle bowl with veggies, steak, and chidken
  • Dinner:  beef, pepper and onion grilled souvlaki
  • Snacks:
    • Turkey Jerky (I found some with no added sugar or soybean oil at Walgreens)
    • Cashews
    • Watermelon
    • 1/2 of Starbucks Matcha Latte (Non-compliant)

I definitely bricked it with the latte, I asked for no sugar but I realized that there was added sugar in it about halfway though and painfully stopped myself it was so delicious. I didn't eat much in general yesterday though - I spent most of the day at a friend's house working together by the pool and grazing on cashews and watermelon.

Thursday, June 11th (Day 11)

• Breakfast: "cereal" bowl with pineapple, almond butter, chia seeds, almond milk, and pecans (this is my new go to!)
  • Lunch: steamed broccoli with beef and a garlic sesame oil and apple cider vinegar sauce and a baked sweet potato with homemade ghee and cinnamon
  • Dinner: grilled pork chops with steamed veggies and a baked sweet potato
  • Snacks:
    • A few slices of chorizo

I'm going to try and log throughout the day and add to the post as I go. Also I think my hunger is beginning to stabilize and I'm craving sugar less and less although I admittedly have a weakness for pineapple.

15 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

I love reading wha you're eating!  That cereal bowl sounds so much better than fruit salad for breakfast.

Thanks! It really is - adding the nuts. almond butter, and almond milk give it a nice texture and balance out the sugars from the fruit to help keep me full for longer. I also sprinkle some cinnamon and nutmeg on it sometimes too.

Thursday June 11th (Continued):

I ended up having some snacks yesterday evening

15 hours ago, patrickjohn said:

Thursday, June 11th (Day 11)

• Breakfast: "cereal" bowl with pineapple, almond butter, chia seeds, almond milk, and pecans (this is my new go to!)
  • Lunch: steamed broccoli with beef and a garlic sesame oil and apple cider vinegar sauce and a baked sweet potato with homemade ghee and cinnamon
  • Dinner: grilled pork chops with steamed veggies and a baked sweet potato
  • Snacks:
    • A few slices of chorizo

I'm going to try and log throughout the day and add to the post as I go. Also I think my hunger is beginning to stabilize and I'm craving sugar less and less although I admittedly have a weakness for pineapple.

Additional snacks:

• Small antipasto salad (it was so delicious)
  • Homemade baked potato / sweet potato chips with thyme, garlic, and onion powder

I've really been craving potatoes of all varieties yesterday...I know baked chip recreations aren't fully in the spirit of Whole30 but ~technically~ I feel like they're not breaking the rules as long as they're enjoyed in moderation.

I think the chips are fine if you make them yourself. Just avoid the commercial ones as they tend to not be just one portion size and lots of ppl go all binge-y with it!

You are doing great - ive eaten more potatoes in the last month than i probably have in ages (though....maybe not if i count the bacon cheesy cheesy cheesy potato wedges i loved to order all the time)

I just learned almond butter and i are not friends - im glad youre finding things that work for you.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:16 AM, patrickjohn said:

I've really been craving potatoes of all varieties yesterday...

6 hours ago, Blueautumn said:

ive eaten more potatoes in the last month than i probably have in ages

@patrickjohn @Blueautumn Your statements remind me of what I went through.  I was eating a lot of potatoes on Whole30 until maybe just the last week or so.  I wonder if it was the carbs - replacing the carbs I was used to eating All. The. Time. with the high carb potatoes.  The potato/carb cravings have subsided now.  When I have potatoes I just eat a small amount, like 3 fingerling potatoes, and I really savour them.  Enjoy your potatoes!

Archived