Solid can of coconut milk??

Howdy, all!

This morning, I opened a can of coconut milk to put in my coffee, but to my surprise, I found that the contents of the can were solid. It passed the sniff test, but I'm still a bit confused as to this strange new substance.

1. What is it??

2. Is it edible?

3. Is it yummy?

4. Assuming 2 and 3 are true, what can I do with it?

This is a new one on me!

Howdy, all!

This morning, I opened a can of coconut milk to put in my coffee, but to my surprise, I found that the contents of the can were solid. It passed the sniff test, but I'm still a bit confused as to this strange new substance.

1. What is it??

2. Is it edible?

3. Is it yummy?

4. Assuming 2 and 3 are true, what can I do with it?

This is a new one on me!

Full fat coconut milk with no weird ingredients is often solid. Scoop and stir. :)

Hi Catherine!

1. It is coconut cream!

2. Absolutely edible!

3. You dang skippy it's delicious!

4. You have several options. If you gently heat your can of coconut milk, you can then shake it and the cream will combine with the rest of the liquid to form what you probably had in mind to use in your coffee. You could also use the coconut cream on fruit if you need more fat in your meal. Oh, and it's good on sweet potatoes! You can dump a whole can, solids and all, into many soups and curries to add creaminess and good fats.

Post Whole30, you can scoop out that delicious cream and whip it to make a "Paleo whipped cream." Dangerous food-with-no-brakes for me, but yummy! Lots of Paleo treat recipes call for it too.

Hope that helps!

The type I buy is very inconsistent in texture. Sometimes it is separated with the thick cream on top and the water settles to the bottom, other times it is thoroughly mixed. In my opinion, this means there truly are no additives. Sometimes I will mix it all together with a stick blender if it separates, and sometimes I just scoop out the cream. I guess it depends on my mood, lol!

I like to use it in coffee, tea, soups, my version of curry, mashed sweet potatoes...the list is endless. I also use it to make hot chocolate for my daughter that cannot have dairy right now, but still wants to have some with her big brother.

Experiment with it and you will find you use different consistencies for different things :)

I get so bummed when my cans are combined...I love it when the fat is solid on top of the can!! I use coconut milk to make creamy dressings, horseradish sauce or paleo desserts (when I'm not on Whole 30), when the can is all mixed, none of these things come out right.

I got this info re mixing the cans from a thai food supplier

Heat it in the (closed) can over gentle heat to about 30 degrees - in a saucepan with water is handy. Once the entire contents of the can reached 27 degrees it will liquefy, at which point you can shake it and the cream will recombine with the coconut water. You can hear this inside the can. Just be careful not to make the can too hot or when you try to open it it might all pop out.

Or if you want it seperated maybe try putting it in the fridge overnight?

I also found that buying older stock (check bb dates) meant a greater chance of it being seperated.

• 5 years later...

Anyone have issues where it’s not cream and water upon refrigeration ?  Where it is about a 1/8 layer of a hard waxy fat, then the cream and then the water?  Cans like this leave my yougurt or kefir gritty and it makes for a horrible finished product.  This has been very common for me lately. Any advice welcome!!! TIA

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lisakay68 said:

Anyone have issues where it’s not cream and water upon refrigeration ?  Where it is about a 1/8 layer of a hard waxy fat, then the cream and then the water?  Cans like this leave my yougurt or kefir gritty and it makes for a horrible finished product.  This has been very common for me lately. Any advice welcome!!! TIA

You have a reply to this question from where you previously posted it:   https://forum.whole30.com/topic/54882-canned-coconut-milk/?tab=comments#comment-494810 

Please don't cross post the same question in multiple places in the forum, per the forum rules:  https://forum.whole30.com/topic/6-forum-rules/

Archived