Advice on how to eat less meat and still feel good? Help!

I would like to continue eating mostly whole30 compliant, however, I really don't want to keep eating so much meat. I was vegetarian for 8 years and then ate meat from local farms once or twice a week. Now, on whole30, I'm eating meat every meal every day. This is A LOT for me. It's working fine now (and for the past 60 days). But it's not financially sustainable for me (or emotionally/physically). I will not eat meat from anywhere other than directly from farmers in my area / butchers I trust (no whole foods, trader joes etc) so it's quite expensive and sometimes I have meat nightmares lol.

I did my reintroduction and did not have a reaction to gluten free grains or legumes (other than soy). Ideally, I'd be able to find a way to integrate protein sources into my diet so that I can eat meat once a day instead of 2-3 times. I also have an egg sensitivity so... that complicates things. Even though I didn't have a reaction, Melissa's books make me think I really shouldn't eat quinoa or beans regularly.

I'm wondering what people think about this? What have others done? I feel great on whole30 and don't want to jeopardize that but I also imagine there must be a way to eat less meat and still feel good?

• Moderators

Recently, there was a rule change, and peas are now ok on whole30, so if you aren't already, you can try including them for some meals. (You can read about the rule change here:  https://whole30.com/whole30-rules-peas/)

Could you maybe reintroduce beans or quinoa or whatever for a week or two and see how it goes, and just pay attention to how you're feeling?  Maybe pick one thing and have it once or twice a day for a week or two, and if you still feel good, switch that item for a different option and see how it goes? When you've reintroduced the things you're most likely to want to have, you can start increasing how often you have them, but keep paying attention to how you feel. If you notice you're not feeling great anymore, that may help you determine how often you can have them and still feel good.

8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Recently, there was a rule change, and peas are now ok on whole30, so if you aren't already, you can try including them for some meals. (You can read about the rule change here:  https://whole30.com/whole30-rules-peas/)

Could you maybe reintroduce beans or quinoa or whatever for a week or two and see how it goes, and just pay attention to how you're feeling?  Maybe pick one thing and have it once or twice a day for a week or two, and if you still feel good, switch that item for a different option and see how it goes? When you've reintroduced the things you're most likely to want to have, you can start increasing how often you have them, but keep paying attention to how you feel. If you notice you're not feeling great anymore, that may help you determine how often you can have them and still feel good.

Hi Shannon- 

Thank you so much for your reply! This is really helpful. For some reason I was under the impression that even with food freedom, the categories that are not whole30 compliant should only be eaten once in a while. I'm relieved to hear that I can fully eat them if they don't give me negative side effects. I'm also happy to hear about peas (I love green peas!). I think it's a great idea to play close attention to how they effect me once I increase intake and then sort out an appropriate amount from there. Thank you! 

I'm also curious how to know if I'm getting adequate protein if I exchange meat for quinoa or legumes for some meals. Ideally I'd eat meat once a day. Do you think that would be alright? I read that they are really high in carbs so I don't want to end up overdoing carbs and falling behind on protein. 

Thanks again for your help! 

I try to think of Whole30 as a playful experiment to see what works for you. I think our diet culture tries to teach us that there is one right answer for every single person on the entire planet. How silly! That's one of the things I liked so much about Whole30. It doesn't try to say that. It says that you should figure it out for yourself. 

So, I'll just say, keep experimenting and trust your body to tell you what's right and what's wrong!

Your Whole30 reintroductions will have given you some great data points as to some foods that may or may not be problematic for you. Keep going with that. Do as Shannon suggested. And while I'm sure you could go online and find some formula that tells you exactly how many grams of protein and carbs and fat you should eat based on your height and weight and eye color and favorite book, that may or may not be the right answer for you. Let your body tell you! Trust yourself!

I just finished my fifth Whole30. I love the way I feel when I'm doing Whole30. But, honestly, I'm trying to take my own advice and I think I may try a vegetarian and or a vegan approach because I've never done that before and it aligns better with my values. And maybe that will make me feel even better than Whole30 does! My body will let me know! 

I hope this helps and I wish you the very, very best! 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as @Rachel Nicole and I noticed the rule change so does it mean it includes all the variety of lentils used in indian (south asian) cooking like given here: https://www.veganricha.com/indian-dals-names/

I believe kidney bean and chickpeas are still out.

Let me know what i can include since lentils are good source of protein as well.

Regards,

Rajesh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived