RK in Denver, CO— Starting the adventure...

2GreyCats

Hello, everyone— 

I’m Rhonda, but I usually go by RK online. 

I am a Whole30 beginner, and for me this is Day 5– I started on June 10. One of the reasons I decided to start right now is that I live in Denver, Colorado, and June is apricot season! I am *demented* about apricots and peaches, two of our local specialty fruits. However, a sudden late frost at the beginning of May probably wiped out 80% of this year’s peach crop... alas.

I am doing Whole30 because my weight isn’t budging much at all, and in the last six months my BP has gone up into the “borderline/high” range, and I really, *really*, REALLY do not want to end up on BP meds like my mother was. I also have ADHD, which Doesn’t Help At All with impulsive eating behaviors. Also, because of that, I really hate monotony— my DH can cheerfully eat exactly the same thing every morning, and does. That’s not me. I love eggs, and I like potatoes, but not every morning! So I want to find some other things that I can have for breakfast.  So far, I have observed that it’s not currently the sugar dragon that is roaring at me, but the Cheese Monster and her henchman the Bread Gremlin.

One challenge for me this summer is that I teach at a community college, and I have two classes back to back Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I am at work (online in a videoconference) from 10:30 to 3:15 on those days, with a 15-minute break between the first and the second class. I haven’t figured out how to manage lunch on those days. 

Hope everyone is doing well on this hot Sunday afternoon!

• Moderators
18 hours ago, 2GreyCats said:

So I want to find some other things that I can have for breakfast.

Anything you can have for any other meal works great for breakfast. Try hash (like this one: https://whole30.com/melissas-chicken-hash/) or a breakfast salad (like this one:  https://fedandfit.com/the-breakfast-salad-2/) or soup or leftovers from last night's dinner.

18 hours ago, 2GreyCats said:

I haven’t figured out how to manage lunch on those days. 

Have some things premade that you can either eat cold or heat quickly. Salads are an obvious choice, put one together in the morning to have that day. Leftovers from a previous meal. In a pinch, a can of tuna dumped over some salad greens with mayo, avocado, or oil. Some other ideas for easily thrown together meals:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

Thanks for the advice! Some good ideas there— I found some soy-less canned tuna, so I might be able to snarf some of that, and an orange and some walnuts, maybe, in my 15-minute break/“passing period”. I can’t do a salad then, though, as it takes me too long to eat it. Yesterday I precooked some nice chicken strips, and I will have a couple of those today, along with a couple of apricots — my favorite fruit of all. 

There’s a recipe for Green Pea soup, using fresh Or frozen peas, butter, in the Frugal Gourmet Cooks American book, that I really like. If I add a bit of potato or tapioca, it should work without the roux. That sounds like something I can deal with first thing in the morning. Right now I am having scrambled eggs with spinach that I picked in my garden twenty minutes ago, along with an apricot and half an avocado.  (I love soft boiled eggs, but I am not going to make them during my W30 because boiled eggs (to me, anyway) have to go with toast to dip in the yolks...)

Are we allowed to share recipes here? My mom’s Baked Beef Stew is amazing and compliant, as long as one uses tomato juice sans added sugar.... good beef, scads of veggies.

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, 2GreyCats said:

Are we allowed to share recipes here? My mom’s Baked Beef Stew is amazing and compliant, as long as one uses tomato juice sans added sugar.... good beef, scads of veggies.

Yes definitely - there's a whole Recipe Sharing subforum that you're welcome to share in.  Please just make sure that you're not sharing recipes that are copywrited or that have non compliant ingredients or they'll get removed.

Happy Sharing!

Archived