Why do we limit certain nuts & seeds on Whole30?

When I was reading the grocery list in the Whole30, I was puzzled by the list of nuts & seeds to have "occasionally" or to "limit." In my pre-whole30 mind, I thought walnuts were super healthy (as well as almonds/almond butter.)

I would love to know the science, the "Why" behind the grouping of this list (see image).

Why are some nuts & seeds better than others? And, why do certain nuts & seeds need to be limited? 

I'm curious... and... to be honest, I just love walnuts! haha :lol: 

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

IMG_2566.jpg

• Moderators

Hey there

All the science behind the rules on Whole30 are outlined in detail in It Starts with Food.  Alternately, you can dig through the archives using google and find many discussions on almost every topic.  I've gotten you started here with a response from one of our previous moderators in an archived post.

Most nuts and seeds deliver a high dose of omega6 fats. Most of us already have too many omega6s and we need to reduce omega6s and increase omega3 fats to achieve a proper balance. So, while nuts and seeds are okay, eating a lot of them will tend to overload you with omega6s. Some nuts are lower in omega6 fats - macadamias, hazelnuts, cashews, so they are "better" for you. Others are especially high in omega6s - walnuts, brazil nuts, etc. Almonds, which are Paleo favorites, are in the middle of the pack. Flax seeds have a lot of omega3 fats, but in a form that our bodies can't access readily, so they don't add health benefits. The oils and butters of the nuts and seeds have the same nutritional profile. In addition, many people lose control with nuts and seeds and eat a lot of them.

Archived