backpacking?

Krystle0806

Hello there! 

Today is day one for me, and I need some tips/ideas on what foods I can bring backpacking. I basically backpack every weekend at the moment w/ my boyfriend who is training for a through hike on the JMT.

Usually I bring dehydrated foods, for the light-weight easily prepared meal option. When you have to carry all your own gear on your back for 6+ miles multiple days in a row you think about these things. 

I am looking for suggestions on meal ideas with food that won't go bad, that I can pack to take with me. I can easily prepare snacks, olives, bars, nuts, ect... but I am a little stumped on what to do for actual meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Foods that won't weigh ton's and spoil during out trips. All suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

Hi there! I do lots of backpacking while on Whole30! Here is a list I've been maintaining on pre-made, freeze-dried backpacking meals. They are very pricey, but they're convenient, light weight, and won't spoil. Both Heather's Choice and Wild Zora can be found at your local REI! 

https://forum.whole30.com/topic/54278-whole30-approved-freeze-dried-meal/

I also typically bring some freeze-dried potatoes and a small bag with salted ghee for some extra carbs. Sometimes I'll do this for breakfast with some eggs. OvaEasy egg crystals just require water (and can be found at REI). They aren't fantastic but they aren't terrible and it makes for a good, hearty breakfast. 

For snacks, I usually do bags of olives, bags of tuna in olive oil, Wild Zora meat and veggie bars, nuts, coconut flakes, snack packs of coconut butter, etc. Let me know if you want specific recommendations on snacks! 

11 minutes ago, kirbz said:

Hi there! I do lots of backpacking while on Whole30! Here is a list I've been maintaining on pre-made, freeze-dried backpacking meals. They are very pricey, but they're convenient, light weight, and won't spoil. Both Heather's Choice and Wild Zora can be found at your local REI! 

https://forum.whole30.com/topic/54278-whole30-approved-freeze-dried-meal/

I also typically bring some freeze-dried potatoes and a small bag with salted ghee for some extra carbs. Sometimes I'll do this for breakfast with some eggs. OvaEasy egg crystals just require water (and can be found at REI). They aren't fantastic but they aren't terrible and it makes for a good, hearty breakfast. 

For snacks, I usually do bags of olives, bags of tuna in olive oil, Wild Zora meat and veggie bars, nuts, coconut flakes, snack packs of coconut butter, etc. Let me know if you want specific recommendations on snacks! 

Thank you so much for sharing I really appreciate this! I will definitely be using your recommendations. 

Archived