Whole30 Progress

Krystle0806

I started my journey 6/25, today is day 6. I can honestly say I feel pretty good. I was GF before and I think that because of that I am used to finding substitutions for foods and eliminating things from my diet. I had a lot of the pantry items already so shopping was just making sure I had good meats, and I am adding more squash and potatoes than I am used to eating. Plus I really enjoy cooking. I have tried a few recipes on the website and from the cookbook. Just FYI some of the instructions online are lacking steps in the process and the recipes could really use some more spices to add to the flavors of the meals. There are a lot of spices that are W30 compliant so why aren't they incorporated more!? I am glad I am good at adding them on my own otherwise I would be kind of disappointed in the flavors of the meals I have made so far. Don't be afraid to add more spice! I have also been using Xantham Gum as a thickener and it is a little gummy, so I need to play with that substitution a little more and figure our the right balance. 

One big success for me at the moment, is that my bowel movements are starting to normalize. I still have issues after taking my anxiety medication, it seems to bother my stomach a lot if I don't take it with very carb dense meals so I need to play a little more with the foods I eat or the times that I take the medication, but it is really nice to have pretty solid poops most of the time. That is a WIN! 

One down side is my energy levels. I am used to working out a lot and at high intensity. I have had some trouble maintaining my energy levels to put the work in that I usually do. I do enjoy the POW meals but have trouble eating before the workout, so i am trying to plan workouts pretty soon after regular meals. The post meals are not hard, I keep some Epic Chicken Jerky bits that I keep in my car and snack on them after my workout, delicious! 

I did do a big backpacking trip this past weekend and definitely did not have enough calories for the 30 miles w/ a 30lb pack on, that we did in 2 days. So I will need to work on the kinds of food I am packing and make sure I have enough calories to complete the harder activities and boy do I miss fresh veggies and fruits when I am backpacking. 

Overall I can see incorporating this eating style long after my 30 days are over.  

Archived