Sign in to follow this  
Contessa

Contessa's Food Freedom

Food freedom thoughts, 6/30/20:

Here's a hot tip: the best thing to do on the morning after finishing a Whole 30 is to prepare a big batch of Whole 30 foods. Here's you, italian meatballs, spaghetti squash, and roasted butternut squash.

After 30 days of Whole 30 eating, I'm doing a by-the-book fast track reintroduction. Today was legumes (normal W30 breakfast; veggie and lentil soup for lunch; a smear of peanut butter on an apple). After this, I'll go back to classic Whole 30 for a couple of days.

Incredibly, even lentil soup tastes pretty good right now. :) 

I feel very grateful to have finished this Whole 30 and to be feeling so good.

I plan to write here about once a week for the next couple of months with food thoughts and re-introduction notes.

Tonight, it is a joy to think about eating in a way that is flexible, pleasurable, and life-affirming.

Food freedom thoughts, 7/5/20:

I'm almost a week into my food freedom and am already learning some good stuff.

The first discovery is that, uh, reintroduction is tricky! No catastrophic eating has occurred (none of the former face-planting into a bucket of peanut M&Ms) — but my beautiful, orderly plans for the week buckled under some real world pressure, and I have not kept to the re-intro as I'd wanted.

The challenge came from spending most of this week with my boyfriend. We did a bit of traveling this week (my farthest journey from home since all this covid stuff began). And it was difficult to maintain a re-intro while spending time together.

There was a pita sandwich (wheat!) with tuna and sprouts and swiss cheese (dairy!). There was a veggie quesadilla (wheat! dairy!) with beans (legumes! which I'd already successfully re-introduced). None of it caused me any distress, but it did scramble my nice tiered plans.

Along the way, I resisted a spontaneous Wendy's Frosty and an unplanned bubble tea. I'll enjoy those items later — I just didn't want my first "treats" to be random "eh, sure" drive-through moments on our road trip.

Another discovery is that I want to try a new Sunday tradition. Starting today, I'll be taking 20-30 minutes each week to answer the following series of questions, which address life in general as well as Food Stuff. I adapted these questions from a coach I used to worked with. I'm looking forward to pausing and paying attention as essential acts of preparation for the week ahead. I've got a fridge full of my favorite W30 foods for the week ahead, and I'm also planning two or three treats for this week. I'll be back in a few days to reflect on those experiences with treats.

Sunday questions:

1. What have I accomplished this week?
  2. Is there anything I wanted to accomplish but did not?
  3. What a-ha's or awakenings have I had this week?
  4. What challenges am I experiencing?
  5. If I were coaching myself, what would I tell myself about those challenges?
  6. How do I feel about my eating over the past week?
  7. What foods will I enjoy in the coming week? (this is my chance to think about planning treats) 
  8. What are my top three priorities for this coming week?
  9. If I could get nothing else done this week but one thing, what one thing would I choose to do?  What one thing would make me happy and proud?
  10. How do I want to feel this week?

I love this - you are being so thoughtful about your approach, and the off-track meals have been learning experiences for you rather than complete derailments.  

The Sunday questions - I may steal this when I'm ready to reintroduce.  The journaling and thoughtful consideration of how foods and habits impact how I feel about myself and how I feel physically have been instrumental in my success so far.  I worry about the dark abyss post-W60 (for me).  

Congratulations on finding a strategy that is working toward a successful transition.  

On 6/30/2020 at 9:44 PM, Contessa said:

Tonight, it is a joy to think about eating in a way that is flexible, pleasurable, and life-affirming.

Even though you had some changes in your strategy over the last week, I get the feeling this is where you still are.  

33 minutes ago, MadyVanilla said:

Even though you had some changes in your strategy over the last week, I get the feeling this is where you still are.  

Yeah! Last week didn't match my plan, but I stayed in the saddle. That felt good. And yesterday I cooked up a huge amount of W30 proteins and veggies. Grateful to be staying close to home (metaphorically and physically) as this new week begins.

I dunno, perhaps after 1,382 episodes of eating way too much junk food, I'm ready for a different approach.

Yes, please borrow the Sunday questions if you want to! Heck, no need to wait until your W60 is done... you can start using them now. Usually most of my reflections around food have been past-focused (beating myself up, regretting whatever it was I ate too much of) but I want to spend energy imagining what it looks like when things are working well.