Round 2

meli22

I was so happy with the results from my first Whole30 that I've decided to commit to a second round. I'm going to start TOMORROW. 

The stress of current affairs has me scrolling all day until my brain turns to porridge. I've all but given up on exercise at this point (pre-pandemic, I would go to the gym most days). It's also pushed me straight into my #1 childhood coping strategy: CANDY. I now have a face full of pimples to show for it :rolleyes: ~ it doesn't feel good afterward, and I want to nip this little habit in the bud.

Swedish berries, you are CANCELLED.

GOALS:

1. Find other ways to relax that don't involve food
  2. Get into the habit of drinking more water
  3. Limit scrolling to 15 minutes a day
  4. Aim for 40 mins exercise every day (power yoga, weights or running) 
  5. Turn meals (I live alone) into a more pleasurable event by eating on the balcony, with nice plates and napkins, and so on

Hey there, excited to hear about your second round! Boy do I relate to "porridge brain." And I relate to the childhood coping strategy, too!

Your goals sound wonderful. Cheering you on as you explore alternative means of relaxing, living well, and enjoying life!

Day 1

B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 hardboiled eggs, handful of cherries, tomato wedges, 1/4 avocado

L = roast chicken w/ skin, tangerine, cucumber slices, pickled peppers, sauerkraut

S = coffee w/ almond milk; last of the cherries, sunflower seeds

D = chicken-vegetable stew w/ zucchini noodles & drizzle of fish oil

exercise = cursed and scowled my way through 40 mins yoga 

Day 2

B = coffee w/ almond milk; chicken-veg stew w/ zucchini noodles & drizzle of fish oil

L = sardines w/ olive oil, pickled red onion, capers & sunflower seeds; tomato, cucumber, sauerkraut, pickled radishes & peppers; a tangerine

S = bit of roast chicken; la croix (aka clown water)

D = zucchini noodles w/ compliant marinara sauce; roast chicken; 1/2 baked oriental yam (it was huge); handful of cherries for dessert

exercise = ran errands on foot (about 70 mins walking total) - plan to go for a brisk 20-30 min exercise walk this evening.

I slept so poorly last night that today was a write-off. Deeply depressed but that's what sleep-deprivation does to me so hopefully tomorrow will be better. I made a point of not having an afternoon coffee today, so fingers crossed. 

Lunch today was definitely not enough food. After eating some starchy carb my mood lifted considerably, so there you go :) 

I find I drink more water if I make a point of making a large pitcher of herbal ice tea the night before - will start incorporating this into my pre-bedtime routine.

It's amazing how much a poor night of sleep impacts mood.  I also tend to crave more carbs and sweets after a night of poor sleep.  I love the idea of a pitcher of herbal ice tea - I'm inspired to make sun tea today.  Congratulations on completing day 2! 

Meli, we have the same start date!!! :D (except for this is my FIRST time doing the Whole30, so total newbie here!) One of my biggest NSVs I'm hoping for is clearer skin, so I feel your pain there. So excited for you. Good luck! You can do it! (I'm gonna go start my own log now - this online community is very cool)

Day 3

B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 poached eggs; cucumber slices, 1/2 baked yam, handful of cherries

S = tomato slices, 1/4 avocado, bit of roast chicken

L = zucchini noodles w/ marinara sauce; sardines w/ olive oil, capers & pickled red onion; cucumber slices & sugar snap peas

S = handful of cherries, closed handful of sunflower seeds; la croix

D = smoothie (blueberries, zucchini, cauliflower, red cabbage, ground flaxseed, fish oil, compliant protein powder)

exercise = 30 min run 

Slept better! 

I want to cut back on my fruit consumption as soon as cherry season peters out. Summer fruit only comes once a year and cherries are my favourite.

I know smoothies are frowned upon in this program but I felt it was ok since this one was more vegetable than fruit - does that make it more soup than smoothie? ;)  Though it sounds pretty gross, it was really good (I couldn't taste the vegetables at all, just tasted like a creamy blueberry smoothie). I'm going to try to avoid smoothies for the rest of my program, however, as I notice they do leave me a bit... puffy

21 hours ago, meli22 said:

@MadyVanilla I know, right?! Is sun tea when you let it steep for a few hours in the sun? I usually do a mix of nettles and hibiscus :) 

Yes!  I put some regular black tea bags and a peach herbal tea bag in a clear pitcher of water and sat it on the back deck all day yesterday - I'll be sipping on this deliciousness all day today - thanks for the reminder, it's like a treat.  

I'm glad you slept better.  And smoothie=vegetable soup....seems a good way to reframe, I mean, gazpacho is delicious.  But if your'e having side effects...That's what i have loved about my current W30, I have discovered so much about how different foods effect me.  

Day 4

B = coffee w/ almond milk; chicken-vegetable stew w/ 1/4 avocado; cucumber, sauerkraut, handful of cherries

L = zucchini noodles w/ marinara sauce & roast chicken; sugar snap peas, 1/2 grapefruit

S = la croix; hardboiled egg, last of the cherries 

D = red cabbage-carrot slaw w/ homemade mayo & boiled shrimp; tomato slices

exercise = 30 min run

A miracle: Today was the first day in living memory that I didn't need a nap - I was able to work straight through the afternoon without needing a lie-down! Energy was steady all day. 

These 30-minute noonday runs are feeling great! 

18 hours ago, meli22 said:

A miracle: Today was the first day in living memory that I didn't need a nap - I was able to work straight through the afternoon without needing a lie-down! Energy was steady all day. 

Wow! That is no small feat! What a great NSV. :) Every workday, without fail, I hit the "2-4 Slump," in which I really really want a nap, but can't have one and am therefore half as productive as I could be. This gives me hope that this miracle might happen to me, too! LoL. Good job yesterday!

Day 5

B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 hardboiled eggs; 1/2 grapefruit; 1/4 avocado

L = cabbage-carrot slaw w/ mayo & chicken; tomato & sugar snap peas; blueberry smoothie

S = tomato slices & 1/4 avocado

D = zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce; sardines w/ olive oil, capers & pickled red onion; baked yam

exercise = 20 min run

Note to self: if you eat more at breakfast, you will have a better run :P

I'm still figuring out what feels like "enough" at each meal though I am currently pre-menstrual and am always extra hungry at that time. I have a feeling I could increase the amount of fat I'm eating with my meals (when I go grocery shopping I'll pick up some coconut and olives). Also feel I could benefit from the inclusion of a starchy carb at breakfast. I'm going to try to limit my fruit to 1 serving a day.  Also, I think this is my favourite way to eat sardines by far (I love sardines) - nice and simple, get the water-packed ones and dress them in olive oil, capers and pickled onions. In another lifetime, I would eat this on rye bread with cream cheese ;) 

Day 6

B = coffee w/ almond milk; egg salad (2 hardboiled eggs w/ mayo, capers, pickled peppers & lettuce); 2 apricots, cucumber slices

L = sardines w/ olive oil, capers, sauerkraut & pickled onion; sugar snap peas & cucumber slices; 1/2 avocado

S = zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce; 2 apricots

D = carrot-cabbage slaw w/ mayo, pickled peppers & caper berries; seafood mix (clams, mussels & shrimp); 1/2 baked yam

exercise = 90 min walk + will probably do some yoga later this evening

Feeling good! Energy is steady, skin has cleared up. I've been feeling more sleek and slim since the third day, probably because I'm not waking up bloated anymore. I actually wake up hungry and have been eating breakfast around 8:00am instead of the usual 10:00. I've also been able to drink 2L water / day the last couple of days, which has probably helped with that as well. 

Branched out and bought some giant caper berries and sausages today at the grocery store. I have a tendency to get hooked on eating the same thing day after day, so I want to push myself to get a bit more variety into my diet. 

Day 7 

B = coffee w/ almond milk; egg salad (2 hardboiled eggs w/ mayo, capers, sauerkraut & pickled red onion); 1/2 baked yam; tomato slices

L = cabbage-carrot slaw (w/ mayo, caper berries & pickled onion); seafood mix; sugar snap peas; 1/4 avocado; 2 apricots

P-WO = 1 hardboiled egg w/ hot sauce

D = zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce; 2 sausages; cauliflower florets & cucumber; la croix for dessert :) 

exercise = 20 mins run // 30 mins weights

Congrats on getting through a successful first week!  How awesome to be seeing the positive impacts-it's pretty amazing how quickly they come.

12 hours ago, meli22 said:

la croix for dessert :) 

This is also my dessert - or a spindrift.  And it's satisfying!

Day 8

B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 sausages; cucumber slices, 1/4 avocado, sauerkraut

L = cabbage-carrot slaw w/ olive oil, vinegar & mustard; seafood mix; cauliflower-dill soup; 2 plums

D = 2 hardboiled eggs; baked yam; zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce; a peach for dessert

exercise = 60 mins walk

Day 9

B = coffee w/ almond milk; egg salad (2 hardboiled eggs w/ mustard, pickled onion, sauerkraut); 1/4 avocado; peach 

S = bowl of cauliflower soup

L = zucchini noodles w/ marinara sauce; sardines w/ olive oil, capers & pickled onion; cucumber & tomato slices

S = iced coffee; peach

D = zucchini noodles w/ marinara sauce, hardboiled egg & 1/4 avocado; green apple; trail mix

S = cup of almond milk

Most challenging day so far. Unsatisfied with my meals, craving sugar, hungry but not hungry... Almost 9pm and I haven't left the apartment yet (no exercise today but will try for a walk around the block before bedtime). Drinking coffee at 4pm was a terrible idea - hope I sleep tonight! 

Heaviest day of period = lethargic, bloated, and miserable :angry:

Tomorrow is a new day! 

Day 10

B = coffee w/ almond milk; tandoori chicken; 1/2 green apple, cucumber slices, 1/4 avocado

S = last of the tandoori chicken

L = cauliflower-dill soup; tomato wedges; hardboiled egg

S = 2 plums; trail mix

D = roasted potatoes w/ mayonnaise; roasted duck

exercise = 25 min run

Another 'off' day. Low energy / no motivation to leave the house after my run but I think that's mostly due to my period and sleeping poorly. All I wanted was a scone... so I had potatoes instead. I'm finding that I do better with a bit of starchy carbohydrate for my mental health. The times I followed a very strict low-carb diet were the times that I had the most severe bouts of depression so I need to remember that my brain is part of my body. 

Day 11

B = coffee w/ almond milk; cauliflower-dill soup; roast duck; sauerkraut

L = plums w/ cashew "yogourt" & trail mix

D = shredded cabbage w/ mayonnaise, tomato & pickled red onion; roast duck

S = peach & handful of cashews

exercise = 40 mins weights

I think I'm just going to give up on non-dairy attempts at yogourt 'cause it's never the same :( 

Archived