Salad ideas

jrustdc

I can't get myself excited for salads right now. I'm not sure why. Share yours and help me get out of this place!

I do have one to share that I've been liking:

Lightly steamed asparagus cut into bite size pieces (1/2 -1 bunch per person)

Canned tuna

Hard boiled egg slices

Tomatoes

Lemon vinaigrette (EVOO, fresh lemon juice, garlic, powdered mustard, other herbs, S&P to taste)

Super fast, super easy, super yum.

i really enjoy a "taco salad" with either ground meat or chicken thats been cooked with taco seasonings. Toss on some lettuce and top with salsa, avocado, cilantro, bell peppers, etc. you can add lime juice if you want.

Another easy one for me is to make tuna and/or chicken salad with home made mayo, celery, red onions & some spices. Toss that on some lettuce with any other veggies.

With both these scenarios you dont really need dressing b/c theres enough flavor.

I had a great salad at one of the hotels that I stayed at a couple of weeks ago. Baby greens, mache, steak medium rare, blueberries, and raspberries, with a raspberry flavored vinaigrette.

I also made a salad a few days ago that I'm going to try again soon. Seared scallops, mango, avocado. I was trying to make a dressing similar to what's used on ahi poke (Hawaiian raw tuna salad) and I think I overdid it on the sesame oil which made the whole thing rather sickly to eat. But when it's done right, I love poke. I've had pretty decent attempts at poke in several of the sushi restaurants around Charlotte, and it's always a combination of fish, avocado, and tropical fruits like mango and papaya, with a light dressing made of soy sauce (substitute coconut aminos), sesame oil, and green onion. Of course eating poke in Hawaii is better, but what can you do.

Right now I'm loving three salads~

The Classic Cobb:

Mixed greens, hard boiled egg, chopped tomato, crumbled bacon (sugar-free, of course), scallions, avocado, homemade ranch dressing (2 T homemade mayo with 1 tsp. Penzey's Sunny Paris Seasoning...easy peasy!)

Warm Spinach and Shrimp Salad:

Baby Spinach, hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, mushrooms and onions sauteed in the bacon grease with the shrimp...after the shrimp are cooked remove the pan from the heat and add a tsp of dijon mustard and a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar, then toss it all together.

Pork Carnitas Salad:

Mixed greens, minced garlic, olive oil, chopped avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds and pulled pork...salt and pepper to taste.

Right now I'm loving three salads~

The Classic Cobb:

Mixed greens, hard boiled egg, chopped tomato, crumbled bacon (sugar-free, of course), scallions, avocado, homemade ranch dressing (2 T homemade mayo with 1 tsp. Penzey's Sunny Paris Seasoning...easy peasy!)

Warm Spinach and Shrimp Salad:

Baby Spinach, hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, mushrooms and onions sauteed in the bacon grease with the shrimp...after the shrimp are cooked remove the pan from the heat and add a tsp of dijon mustard and a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar, then toss it all together.

Pork Carnitas Salad:

Mixed greens, minced garlic, olive oil, chopped avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds and pulled pork...salt and pepper to taste.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to make fajita veggies (bell peppers and onions cut into strips and stir fried with a bit of cumin, lime juice, powdered garlic, and salt) with shrimp or chicken, then put still warm that over mixed greens along with some diced fresh tomato and sliced avocado. I don't usually dress this much, but you could always add a vinaigrette or something.

Archived