Probiotic

cbelling

Does anyone know if this is allowed? Sounds like it should be.

http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-d-lactate.htm

DESCRIPTION

High Count, multi strain probiotic powder with 250 billion cfu's/gram.

INGREDIENTS

L. Salivarius

L. Rhamnosus

B. Bifidum

B. Infantis

Does NOT contain:Dairy, preservatives, sugar, gluten, soy, casein, artificial colors, flavors or FOS.

Thanks.

• Moderators

I think it should be referred to the Better Business Bureau as highway robbery. I would say it is not a violation of the Whole30 to take this stuff, but it is a huge waste of your money.

This stuff is more expensive than other probiotics. Expensive is a type of marketing hook, but expensive does not make stuff like this better. It just makes it a good deal for the seller.

I had poor results experimenting with a variety of probiotics that came in pills or capsules or powders. I have had good results eating sauerkraut and drinking kombucha.

Thanks Tom. This is what my doctor suggested I take (after taking other brands). It is quite expensive, I agree. But I have no problem spending $90 a month on Kombucha (it's my new favorite after starting the Whole30). Yummy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My mother has been making kombucha continuously for 15+ years! I can't imagine paying for it. I am surprised to read that it is compliant. It has sugar in it - at least the way she makes it, which is with sweetened tea and the scoby. I haven't tried it in years - it upset my stomach back in the day.

The sugar is in it to feed the scoby, it gets basically fermented out of it. By the time you drink it its not very sweet at all. I got a bit paranoid when I first started making it and bought a hydrometer to check the sugar had been eaten but my last batch went a bit too long and is a bit vinegary. I've read a lot of sites that say you have to get used to it gradually or the probiotics will upset the stomach. I know I started with a very small amount daily and slowly worked up. I've never had any problems with it - except what to do with all the scobies that keep developing :)

Why are you guys taking probiotics and drinking kambucha? I never even heard of Kambucha before this forum, but everyone is drinking it, it seems. I thought the point of the diet change was to create healthier body, why does our gut need the extra help?

Why are you guys taking probiotics and drinking kambucha? I never even heard of Kambucha before this forum, but everyone is drinking it, it seems. I thought the point of the diet change was to create healthier body, why does our gut need the extra help?

A few years ago I had such severe digestive issues I dropped to 80+ pounds and was frequently rushed into A & E. I had problems on and off since then and the chemo really didn't help. I was taking probiotics and digestive enzymes to help get things back in balance. This was pre W30. W30 has helped absolutely more than every thing else but my gut was so disturbed I figured it could still use all the help it could get :). As for the kombucha, well I'd never tasted it until I came on this forum but now I absolutely love it. The cost was prohibitve so I started making my own and now I'm about to start a 'scoby hotel' :D

Tracy: this is relatively newish science, but we're just now understanding how important our gut flora is to healthy digestion. You really can't have one without the other. Fermented foods and beverages are a major way of getting those critters in and helping them stick around. Kraut, pickles, kombucha, etc...it's not really a "supplement," but rather just a healthy food choice.

Now, that being said, there are some folks, whose gut flora is WAY out of whack and is suffering because of it. Giving your body the extra dose of probiotics is going to prop up its population. Ideally, you won't need lifetime supplementation of probiotics, because they should start to stick around on their own...but some folks' guts are messed up enough that they'll always need an extra push.

I can't believe I waited as long as I did before trying Kombucha!!! I always tended to be a bit on the constipated side, even though I was eating enough vegetation to feed a small heard of elephants.... Few days on the bouch and I'm silky smooth!!! Amazing stuff!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived