3 weeks in and I got spiked by a stock cube and a spoon of jam in gravy!

Garth

Hi. Didn't think I would need to post on here. I have been really enjoying whole 30 and taking a simple approach, combining it with ongoing intermittent fasting at roughly 16/8. After a few days it has worked a treat, and revealed several things. I don't eat much sugar normally but after about 5 days my teeth were loads better, and my sleep has improved especially after the first two weeks. 

Problem: my lovely girlfriend and I had a roast chicken dinner on Saturday as a treat, but I noticed the empty jar of cranberry jam on the side after, which only had cranberries and sugar but had been used in the gravy. I figured ok maybe not too bad as other sugars are native to food and figured it averaged 1 gram each. She used cornflour to thicken her gravy, which I didn't have. The next morning she remembered to check the stock cube she had used which I hadn't noticed. It had corn starch and maltodextrin. I was 3 weeks in. So was quite disappointed as I know the rules are any overstep and you start again. I was planning to do the 20 day reintroduction as I am finding, thanks to white and sweet potatoes and eating lots of veggies anyway, especially greens, and aiming at 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per kilo (I weigh 110 kg or so, as I am 6'6")  that I am sated and have been getting used to IF anyway. I have lost probably 5-7 kg so far, though it was only part of the idea, as I wanted to get to the root of occasional discomfort, probably gluten related? I heard the Melissa Urban podcast on The Ready State and decided to give it a go.  

So - sorry for the contextual ramble. Does this mean I have to start again? If the rules is the rules then I guess so. The interesting thing was we both felt very bloated the day after. I wondered if it was the chicken itself, which was free range but not organic. And I wonder what they feed those. But that is another tangent! 

The only problem with starting again is that we were about to self isolate for a fortnight to be able to visit family. And it will be difficult and a lot of extra effort to maintain / impose whole 30 while visiting my 81 year old Mother. I will do if I have to, but how annoying! 

Thanks!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Garth said:

The interesting thing was we both felt very bloated the day after.

My guess would be that this is probably more from the corn product than the chicken altho it's hard to say.  It's entirely up to you whether you restart or not - there are no Whole30 police but given that you had a reaction to something, in order to do reintroductions on a clean slate and really find out what works and doesn't work with your body, you want that 30 days of healed gut to do the experiments on... 

bummer that happened!

Thank you for this reply. Yes that is my thinking too, also on the chicken although my girlfriend who isn't doing it also felt that way, it was quite pronounced to me, not just stomach dealing with normal food stuff. I will see if it works timeline wise and if not return to it as to be honest I am feeling much better for it and enjoying the whole 30 thing. Its not that I want to rule out all the eliminated foods permanently but to know what effect different foods have. I even sourced an organic farm for sustainably sourced meat and have been eating more organic veg too when I can get it. A kinesiologist once a few years ago told me I was gluten sensitive but not intolerant, but lately I suspect its more than that, and there is a family history of ulcerative colitis, whether or not that is genetic, the sensitivity to it might be? It seems Whole 30 is big in the US with all the brands available. Here in the UK I came across it on the ready state podcast as I said, but its more a case of careful sourcing. Eagle eyes from now on! Fingers crossed! 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Garth said:

Here in the UK I came across it on the ready state podcast as I said, but its more a case of careful sourcing. Eagle eyes from now on!

Yep, definitely.  I'm in Canada and altho we have 'some' Whole30 approved products available, there are not many and when I did my first Whole30, 'whole30 approved' didn't even exist so label reading was where we had to begin and end every trip to the grocery store.  It becomes second nature and you get very good at it.  You may want to start by label reading your own kitchen and putting a sticker on non compliant items or depending on the ratio, making a shelf dedicated to one or the other - then as long as the people cooking know what those stickers/shelves mean, you can eat in relative peace knowing you don't have to grill the chef (punny).

Good luck!  You have a great attitude!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks muchly. Sorry hadn't seen the response as I had no notification, must not have it set. I restarted it again, although we had another slip a week after! So have another 2 weeks to go. Enjoying it though, and along with extending my physical training programme am really feeling the benefits. I have just cut out the bulletproof coffee and opted for black coffee. Eating lots of veg. Have you come across the 800 gram fruit and veg challenge? Can you point me to resources for recommencing / testing? I may not have the 3 weeks I would have liked to have taken as I am planning on visiting my Mom, who grew up in Canada, where I have lots of family. Totally love it there. 

• Moderators
On 8/15/2020 at 9:02 AM, Garth said:

Have you come across the 800 gram fruit and veg challenge? 

Not sure what this is??

As far as reintroduction, there's a whole bunch of resources for this - go to this link and use the 'Reintroduction' links at the bottom left square

https://whole30.com/do-the-whole30/

Great, thanks. I'll check them out. Apart from those accidental slip ups I will have done a Whole 50! 

#800gramchallenge is to eat 800 grams of fruit and veggies per day. Came up on another Ready State podcast on nutrition. The idea is that this is so filling that other carbs and sugary snacks etc aren't wanted any more, based on research showing that if 800 grams are hit as a target this tends to increase the range of fruit and veg eaten and mean you get the micronutrients often missing. I have been doing it roughly as part of the whole 30, trying to hit that number per day. And it has helped, along with hitting my protein target of 0.7 grams per pound of bodyweight, or minimally 1 gram per kilo. (I weigh about 240 lbs.) Looking forward to reintegrating some things, and last night dreamt of eating pasta, but I think I will be looking at Whole 30 guidelines as a basis to work from generally, and maybe aim at the January one each year. I have really enjoyed it. Thanks for tips! 

https://optimizemenutrition.com/800-gram-challenge/

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, Garth said:

Great, thanks. I'll check them out. Apart from those accidental slip ups I will have done a Whole 50! 

#800gramchallenge is to eat 800 grams of fruit and veggies per day. Came up on another Ready State podcast on nutrition. The idea is that this is so filling that other carbs and sugary snacks etc aren't wanted any more, based on research showing that if 800 grams are hit as a target this tends to increase the range of fruit and veg eaten and mean you get the micronutrients often missing. I have been doing it roughly as part of the whole 30, trying to hit that number per day. And it has helped, along with hitting my protein target of 0.7 grams per pound of bodyweight, or minimally 1 gram per kilo. (I weigh about 240 lbs.) Looking forward to reintegrating some things, and last night dreamt of eating pasta, but I think I will be looking at Whole 30 guidelines as a basis to work from generally, and maybe aim at the January one each year. I have really enjoyed it. Thanks for tips! 

https://optimizemenutrition.com/800-gram-challenge/

I appreciate this advice but one thing I would like to add here that sleep has an important part to play. This routine works out better once you start sleeping in the right time for at least 8 hours. 10 pm to 2 am is the ideal time the rest of the hours add on the body resistance and immunity. 

Archived